New Sitka ambient 100 full zip?

TXCO

WKR
I ordered the 60 UL, 100 full zip and the 150 jacket to compare on sale and return what I wont need. The 150 is noticeably thicker/heavier than the 100. They definitely have different operating temp ranges in my opinion which doesnt help me weed them out. I thought there would be quite a bit of overlap in uses. I also have an original kenai jacket (which has been my go to midlayer) and the 100 ambient seems the closest to it. Im struggling to figure out which to weed out.

I ordered the 60 UL, 100 full zip and the 150 jacket to compare on sale and return what I wont need. The 150 is noticeably thicker/heavier than the 100. They definitely have different operating temp ranges in my opinion which doesnt help me weed them out. I thought there would be quite a bit of overlap in uses. I also have an original kenai jacket (which has been my go to midlayer) and the 100 ambient seems the closest to it. Im struggling to figure out which to weed out.
Is the 100 is as thick as the kenai? I was hoping the 100 would be closer to grid fleece levels of packability. I remember I had a kenai and it didn't compress very well

TXCO

WKR
Is the 100 is as thick as the kenai? I was hoping the 100 would be closer to grid fleece levels of packability. I remember I had a kenai and it didn't compress very well

My kenai may have lost some loft but it definitely wasnt as thick or firm as the 150. It seemed very comparable to the 100 jacket. Given that the ambient is synthetic too, it wont compress all that well either. Definitely more than a fleece since it has some loft. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Ambient Hoody packs like a grid fleece. (I don't use the Kenai so I won't comment there.)

junitas03

FNG
Yes, it has the same weight "insulation" and seemingly the same shell fabric. Anyone have both yet?
I rocked the SG Cirque Lite for most of September, early morning active layer chasing bugles, and it was great. But, switched to the Ambient Hoodie - fabric is a little more durable and quiet. And, it performed a little better (durability / wearability) for me.
Scooped the FZ version - it’s great and same same, but prefer the pullover as it sits and feels better with my bino harness (Marsupial). Returned the FZ - too much zipper IMO.
Personally think it’s the best active insulation later for active Elk hunts in variable weather.

I hunted with the Ambient 100 for 4th rifle in Colorado. I run pretty hot while hiking so I have struggled in the past of getting warm hiking in, and then being chilly whenever I would stop wearing a lightweight and heavyweight hoody together. For opening day the area I was in started at 30 degrees and by early afternoon had hit 50. I had a lightweight hoody underneath and It worked great for the hike up in the cold and I stayed comfortable when I would stop to glass throughout the morning and was in the shade. By midday it was definitely warm to wear when the temps were above 50. I wore it another day where the high was 20 degrees and there was a good amount of fresh snow to hike in. The hike in was around 10 degrees so I wore a kelvin lite down as well as the ambient 100. Once the sun came up and I was comfortable in a lightweight hoody and the ambient 100, with a mix of hiking and glassing. For me it solved the getting too hot, taking a layer off, and then too cold as my physical activity changed during the day. Durability wise it also held up well to hiking through scrub brush and I didn't find any snags on it after. I did get it on sale so that was another big part of giving it a shot.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing worse then finding you've lost one glove somewhere in the last three miles of going through blowdown :ROFLMAO:

TXCO

WKR
I hunted with the Ambient 100 for 4th rifle in Colorado. I run pretty hot while hiking so I have struggled in the past of getting warm hiking in, and then being chilly whenever I would stop wearing a lightweight and heavyweight hoody together. For opening day the area I was in started at 30 degrees and by early afternoon had hit 50. I had a lightweight hoody underneath and It worked great for the hike up in the cold and I stayed comfortable when I would stop to glass throughout the morning and was in the shade. By midday it was definitely warm to wear when the temps were above 50. I wore it another day where the high was 20 degrees and there was a good amount of fresh snow to hike in. The hike in was around 10 degrees so I wore a kelvin lite down as well as the ambient 100. Once the sun came up and I was comfortable in a lightweight hoody and the ambient 100, with a mix of hiking and glassing. For me it solved the getting too hot, taking a layer off, and then too cold as my physical activity changed during the day. Durability wise it also held up well to hiking through scrub brush and I didn't find any snags on it after. I did get it on sale so that was another big part of giving it a shot.
I had a very similar positive experience with my 100 in 4th season. I havent found any snags after backpacking through oak brush. Im a big fan of the 100.

How are the cuffs on this hoody? On the original ambient hoody/jacket the cuffs were very loose and I did not like that at all. Are these cuffs a little more “fitted” and tighter on the wrist?

TXCO

WKR
They had mild elastic and fit fine to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digging this up to see if anyone has the ambient hoody and the 100 or can comment on sizing. I wear a L in the hoody and most other Sitka, how does the 100 fit in comparison?

Edit: Just in case anyone else needs to know, I bought the L in the Ambient 100 jacket, and it fits nearly identical to the hoody in the same size. As for the Ambient 100 Vest, its definitely a perfomance fit. The XL in the Ambient Vest fits nearly identical to the L in the 100 Jacket. Its also pretty short in comparison.

Last edited: