Sitka Ambient UL 60 Hoody

Kostrize

WKR

Looks like Sitka released a new lightweight hybrid version of the Ambient pullover with
60g Polartec Alpha panels on the tops of the shoulder, chest, upper back, and hood. The remaining areas on it are a grid fleece. Hard to tell from pics but it looks more fitted than the original Ambient. Should be great for high activity

Barklow was on a podcast a while back talking about wanting to do expensive hybrid pieces that he thought the market wasn’t ready for yet. This, the Evo jacket, Intercept pants all seem to fall in that category

It’s interesting to me that they are using coyote, gray, and black (no camo)for this piece with 30D nylon and Polartec Alpha- the same colors and materials as the Arrowhead MDWi lineup. The rest of the Ambient line uses the 20D with Primaloft. Almost like they had extra material left over from the Arrowhead line

Last edited:
I have an arrow head. I think 30d is a good balance of breath ability and durability. That seems like a cool, new piece but not sure how I would stack it into other layers.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would be handy if OR stated the weight of the Octa they are using

ChrisAU

WKR
I almost grabbed the 60 last night but having 3 of the MDWi's on hand, for the purpose of hand pockets and a full zip I decided against it. I did order the vest, kinda wish I had done overnight shipping to get it tomorrow to take to CO but oh well, I'll test it out in deer season here.

Anxious to hear some reports about the 60 UL piece. I am not a big vest guy, but i really have been pleased with the function of the ambient hoody and jacket. The 60 could be a great hybrid base-mid piece

I got my ambient UL 60 yesterday. First and foremost, although there isn’t much to go off of Sitka’s website, I feel this is an ideal early season grid-fleece replacement. It is crazy light.

I have a couple gripes though. I’m a little annoyed that they don’t offer it in tall sizes (its a bit short in the torso). Also, there is no elastase built into the nylon face like there is in the ambient hoody/jacket so it’s not as comfortable to wear.

dtrkyman

WKR
Full zip version I would be in. I have the ambient jacket which is great other than at the cuffs, they bunch up a bit on me, only piece from them that doesn't fit like a glove!

I got my ambient UL 60 yesterday. First and foremost, although there isn’t much to go off of Sitka’s website, I feel this is an ideal early season grid-fleece replacement. It is crazy light.

I have a couple gripes though. I’m a little annoyed that they don’t offer it in tall sizes (its a bit short in the torso). Also, there is no elastase built into the nylon face like there is in the ambient hoody/jacket so it’s not as comfortable to wear.
How’s the fit?

How’s the fit?
the fit is definitely accurate based on their “standard” fit pieces. I’m a size large/large tall in all their tops, accurate measurements throughout the chest. Definitely short in the torso, which is a tad annoying.

Cutwater

FNG
I got mine and I love this thing... it's warm like an old Champion hoody, but crazy light.

Not sure about the layering/hunting applications because it's a hybrid piece... It's a solid single layer though, I wear it around the house as my only top layer and it's great in that regard, but I think I'd stick to Merino and a full Ambient jacket if I was going out into the woods. But for Georgia's Fall/Spring this would be my go to piece.

I'm 6'0" and about 175lbs on a good day and the Medium fits me like a glove, I can take some pictures if y'all want or just let me know if you have any other questions, I am happy to help.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like it would layer under the Evo even better than the standard Ambient hoody. Now why didn't they issue this earlier this season? I'd have bought this and would actually rather have it over the standard Ambient that I bought in July.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like it would layer under the Evo even better than the standard Ambient hoody. Now why didn't they issue this earlier this season? I'd have bought this and would actually rather have it over the standard Ambient that I bought in July.

This is what I'm thinking as well, BUT the 100-120-ish weight of Alpha/Evolve/Octa I think is still a better option for later season

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m interested because most active insulation layers are too bulky to layer with a puffy which they typically can’t replace and carrying both around is not efficient for space or weight. Common fleece is still by far the better roi and layers better but often is too light unless moving. Now I do have two issues keeping me from buying this; sounds like it’s short so sizing isn’t straightforward, it’s going to be awhile before it’s on camofire at 50%off.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ I'll almost always carry both- which puffy and what mid layer very dependent on the weather

mid layer I'm moving, puffy I'm not- agree that you want a puffy that layers over your mid (and base) layer

My puffies are probably sized a little large; little extra room in a static piece doesn't hurt anything and insures you can get it over the other layers

agree- 50% off for the win :D

feanor

WKR
^ I'll almost always carry both- which puffy and what mid layer very dependent on the weather

mid layer I'm moving, puffy I'm not- agree that you want a puffy that layers over your mid (and base) layer

My puffies are probably sized a little large; little extra room in a static piece doesn't hurt anything and insures you can get it over the other layers

agree- 50% off for the win :D
Have you tried naked alpha versus these different pieces with face fabric? I’m sure it gives it better durability. Is a face fabric really a trade off with breathability?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you tried naked alpha versus these different pieces with face fabric? I’m sure it gives it better durability. Is a face fabric really a trade off with breathability?

I've got a Rab Alpha that uses 120 gram insulation, no face fabric. There are a couple of homegrown outfits that sell naked versions in 60 gram as well. Naked definitely breathes better, but as you mention you'll give up some durability for sure and most of the newer jackets have some at least weather resistance (wind/precip)- the naked versions have none. Even light wind can chill you out pretty quickly.

The original Ambient (and the Sitka Arrowhead) both breath pretty well, I'm guessing the UL version will breathe at lest as well, possibly better.