Single best/most important lift for Mountain Hunting training?

Poser

WKR
I'll ask this question 2 ways because its possible, though unlikely, to have 2 different answers,

1. If you had to distill your training for training for hunting down to one single lift?

2. The most important single lift for training to hunt?

Back squat seems the most obvious. Its going to build leg and core strength, require flexibility and can be done both as a hi rep workout incorporating cardio and endurance or heavy weight for strength. It also gets your body acclimated to the burden of heavy loads. HOWEVER, I wonder if a more complex movement such as a squat snatch or thrusters wouldn't accomplish close to the same leg workout but engage the core more directly. The burden of heavy weight would also be a factor. Thoughts?

I also think that squat cleans would be good if I had to pick just one.

I think that training with all the variations of deadlift, squat, snatch, and clean are great. Those movements are especially good when you are preparing for an "unknown" since they work major muscle groups well and can be varied to high rep and low rep as Poser said. However, I feel like when preparing for a hunt you dont have an "unknown". You know that you will be hiking steep hills with high weight for long periods of time. You know that you may have to hike with a pack with 100 or more pounds of meat in it if you are lucky enough, and you know that you may have to haul ass to get that meat cooled down quickly. With all of the "knowns" i think just doing as much hiking with weight would be your best option, thats my plan come July and August. Right now I'm just doing my regular gym thing ...all around fitness. When something requires a known specialization like a backpack hunt or a marathon... I'll focus on that.

Ray

WKR
I prefer walking lunges...you can only hike with one leg at a time up or down the hills...lunges help my balance for skiing and hiking under load...I can add weight in several ways...perfect all around moutain fitness movement.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
Had to look these up to see what the hell they were! I have always heard them called power cleans.

These would be my single lift of choice if I had to pick one.

Those are similar lifts, though, in a power clean, you do not squat to get under the weight like you do in a squat clean.

Squat Clean: You Squat under the weight. Hips go below parallel. You can lift more weight as you don’t have to pull the bar as high.

Power Clean. Hips don’t come lower than parallel. You need to pull the bar higher & accelerate as much as you can.

JP100

WKR
I found this lift to be most effective for mountain training
580623_10200626075273134_1480857480_n.jpg

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I dont know if its the best but I do Step Ups about knee high or better with at least 40# or more in my pack on my back.

mohawk32

Lil-Rokslider
"Squat Clean" is a crossfit term. Everywhere else they're just called a clean.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bmart correct...2 different but similar movements...there are squat cleans, power cleans and hang cleans...and to muddy the water Barski cleans, but the Barski is more of a learning clean to help with the pulling portion of a clean movement.

I like to carry a pack with weights in it. It is what you are training to accomplish, so why not just do it? It sure strengthens legs and core. I am not against gym workouts, I just find this to be more fun. I can scout and stump shoot (depending on the weight, 50 lbs and under I still shoot) while I am doing it.

bmart2622

WKR
Some people drop under the bar pretty deep on a power clean which kinda makes it look like a squat clean. Sure is tough to pick just one, lots of good ones mentioned but I gotta go squat clean too.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rodney, that is a great way to do it, but I don't get to hike everyday, but I workout 5-6 days a week.