Single best/most important lift for Mountain Hunting training?

jdmdavey

Lil-Rokslider
You can fix it..ive had 2 AC joint separations as well from football..both sides...you need to work on shoulder mobility and keep at it. It takes an active effort to improve it..but once you do you must also maintain it. Pain in the ass..but it opens up alot for you in the end.

Snatches are fantastic, but most folks wont devote the time to learning proper technique, which is essential to this complicated lift. I always coach/train people to at least master the deadlift and squat (front and back). These are the most applicable lifts to improving physical strength for whatever athletic endeavor you may be undertaking.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Bear Complex is as follows:

Start with the barbell on the ground and do a Power Clean, followed by a Front Squat, followed by a Push-Press, followed by a Back Squat and lastly another Push-Press.

That series is one rep and you generally do 5 to 7 reps and 3 to 5 sets. Weight on the bar is generally between 95 and 135 depending on your fitness level.

If this link works it shows a video of it:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PgOh9RxqdLs

OP
P

Poser

WKR
The Bear Complex is as follows:

Start with the barbell on the ground and do a Power Clean, followed by a Front Squat, followed by a Push-Press, followed by a Back Squat and lastly another Push-Press.

That series is one rep and you generally do 5 to 7 reps and 3 to 5 sets. Weight on the bar is generally between 95 and 135 depending on your fitness level.

If this link works it shows a video of it:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PgOh9RxqdLs

-hadn't thought of that one. Good one!

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't either, but I certainly hate reading it in the morning when I am downloading my workout.

It is a brutal movement and punishes you.

jmez

WKR
We did the Bear Complex today.

7 reps 5 sets.

65#, 95#,95#,115#,135#

Also, it is touch and go with the power cleans. Once you start the bar can only tap the ground to start a new rep, no putting the bar down for a rest, all resting done holding the weight. If you let go of the bar or pause at the bottom that entire set doesn't count.

Cdana

FNG
I know that the question is regarding "what single lift" would you choose for hunting, but I want to make a quick shout-out to aerobic training (utilizing oxygen). The reason is because doing lifts in sets of 3 w/ reps of 10 (pretty popular) won't get you up the mountain and maintain physical stamina. Sure "lifts will help with short bursts of physical activity, but if I had suggestion I'd strap on the boots and pack then tack on the miles.

rhendrix

WKR
I don't know if it's the best, but 4x15 of squats followed by 4x15 of 24" box jumps and then 400 meters of walking lunges has made me walk funny for the last two days, good grief, holy DOMS!

Joe M

FNG
If you catch the bar deep in a power clean, it's no longer a power clean. I don't know why crossfit calls it a squat clean, most good olympic lifters catch the bar with their ass almost touching the ground.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
If you catch the bar deep in a power clean, it's no longer a power clean. I don't know why crossfit calls it a squat clean, most good olympic lifters catch the bar with their ass almost touching the ground.

I think they make that distinguishment just to clarify as to when you should catch the bar in a quat. Sometimes, the workouts just call for a "clean" and the first question everyone has is "do we have to squat." Hence "squat clean" answer the question.

Joe M

FNG
Ive never heard of a squat clean and jerk or squat snatch. I thinks its just different technique that gets used. A lot of the pure oly lifters catch the bar pretty deep into the clean especially when lifting very heavy weight making a power clean look like a squat clean.

I think they make that distinguishment just to clarify as to when you should catch the bar in a quat. Sometimes, the workouts just call for a "clean" and the first question everyone has is "do we have to squat." Hence "squat clean" answer the question.

Makes sense, just sounds wrong when you are from Olympic lifting not crossfit.

Weighted pack cardio. I put 35lbs in my pack and do a couple miles with some verticals gain. ( bout 600'). As I progress I increase weight and elevation untill I hit 70-80lbs by August with 1k of elevation gain.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
Makes sense, just sounds wrong when you are from Olympic lifting not crossfit.

Just curious. What is your background with Oly lifts? Outside of Crossfit, it seems that very few gyms allow people to do snatches or other lifts where you need to be able to throw the weight down. I imagine that given the popularity of Crossfit, conventional gyms are starting to become more accommodating for those lifts, but 10+ years ago?