Silencerco Scythe TI review

NSI

WKR
Debating hard on picking up a Scythe. Already have an Ultra 5, would this be essentially filling that same space in the lineup? Based on what I’m reading, for just a little extra length (especially if you replace the Anchor brake with a flat end cap), you would have a much more efficient (both sound and recoil) compact suppressor than the TBAC ultra 5 for only about 3/4” more length.
The Ultra 5 is a very marginal suppressor. The Scythe is fully a viable suppressor for a very slight length, width, and weight penalty. I wouldn't spend a tax stamp on an Ultra 5 having shot it and its brethren, but I gladly did on the Scythe and am chuffed.

-J

Due to the addition of the brake, not necessarily the suppressor alone though?

Greenhorn question, does the brake on the end of a suppressor increase noise/negate sound reduction?
Speaking from my experience with the SiCo Hybrid on my 45/70. The can did not come with the brake end cap, and it took a while before they released the brake cap with a .46 hole. Once I got one, shot it back to back with the flat cap. I immediately took the brake cap off, it was much louder to the shooter than the flat cap, and the recoil wasn't enough to start with to need it.

fwafwow

WKR
I currently use an Armageddon cover, which is great for the range, but not needed for hunting (and prone to coming off as I slide into sxs bags, etc.), so I've been wondering whether to just go "naked" but possibly with a piece of tape on the end. This option would be a good solution, but it's not big enough for my Ultra 9. And it sounds like it provides some heat protection, but not enough for a long session at the range. Is that right?
This is what I use

The Jimmy looks like a solution instead of tape or a rubber on the end of the can, but I would have to remember to take it off.

lak2004

WKR
I currently use an Armageddon cover, which is great for the range, but not needed for hunting (and prone to coming off as I slide into sxs bags, etc.), so I've been wondering whether to just go "naked" but possibly with a piece of tape on the end. This option would be a good solution, but it's not big enough for my Ultra 9. And it sounds like it provides some heat protection, but not enough for a long session at the range. Is that right?

The Jimmy looks like a solution instead of tape or a rubber on the end of the can, but I would have to remember to take it off.
I mean, if you forget, it's coming off still...

Lawnboi

WKR

On the Tbacs electrical tape works just fine. I still pull mine off if there’s time but have no worry when shooting a quick shot with it on.

I really could only see getting an ultra 5 for a dedicated 223 suppressor, but then the 7 is fine too.

Yeah. The beauty of tape is you don’t have to take take it on/off whenever you might shoot. Those types of solutions don’t really interest me.

As far as mirage covers go, maybe they don’t weigh enough to make a difference in POI but I’d rather just keep everything the same all the time at the range or hunting. Leave that sucker on all the time. I use AG cover too and am going to try some others to see if they stay put better. I can get it to not slide forward but not in a way that keeps it from sliding easily with contact.

I bet the ti end caps become more in demand again with the scythe on the market. Hopefully they become available.

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
On the Tbacs electrical tape works just fine. I still pull mine off if there’s time but have no worry when shooting a quick shot with it on.

I really could only see getting an ultra 5 for a dedicated 223 suppressor, but then the 7 is fine too.
It’s still way too loud and annoying on a .223. It’s the only suppressor I regret buying.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
582cf41514b6b4c0d3cffd363c9e8baa.jpg

1c8d362c8542391e235edcf41f4776a0.jpg

2b925a6004016ddccc2b5b190f9f469a.jpg

The Scythe is quieter than the Gen 1 Ultra 7 and weights the same as the Ultra 5. I will get out and compare it to the Dominus, CGS and AB can soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DaleW

WKR
Does anyone know if the "brake" on the end will direct gas straight down? Could be an issue for prone shooting. I'm trying to see if I can tell in the few videos there are of people shooting them but it's hard to say.

Reactions: FYG

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
It’s still way too loud and annoying on a .223. It’s the only suppressor I regret buying.

I feel the same way as you.
But.
My ultra 5 found a permanent home on my 6.5 manbun fieldcraft with a tbac face mount brake.

I'm excited for my scythe but im still months away.

bigbuckdj

WKR
You guys buying that to send to a class 3 FFL and transfer? I’ve never bought one through a place that doesn’t also do the transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drdrop

FNG
You guys buying that to send to a class 3 FFL and transfer? I’ve never bought one through a place that doesn’t also do the transfer.

My local FFL has told me that I can always order from a manufacturer, the suppressor gets shipped to the FFL after about a week (due to some sort of FFL-only paperwork), and then my FFL will work through the paperwork with me. My local FFL regularly works with suppressors, so it might be good to find a local with that sort of experience.

WKR

I've done this before. Works about like buying a firearm from a different place and shipping to your ffl. Cost of the transfer to the lgs doing the final transfer is an added fee like a background check but more expensive. Mine was 70 I think.

Thanks for doing this review. The scythe, hyperion k, and AB are on my short list, so I'm interested to see how those cans stack up.

Whisky

WKR
Thanks for doing this review. The scythe, hyperion k, and AB are on my short list, so I'm interested to see how those cans stack up.

Ditto. Waiting. About to pull the trigger on the AB 8 with the 22cal rim BOGO deal, or the Scythe.