Silencerco Scythe TI review

Sevens

WKR
Seemed like the brake helped, but i need to try some different positions and report back after shoot it more. It was muddy where we were so i shot off a stump standing up. Felt less recoil on the scythe vs the STI and nomad for sure
Due to the addition of the brake, not necessarily the suppressor alone though?

Greenhorn question, does the brake on the end of a suppressor increase noise/negate sound reduction?

OP
C
Due to the addition of the brake, not necessarily the suppressor alone though?

Greenhorn question, does the brake on the end of a suppressor increase noise/negate sound reduction?
Im sure its a little of both. And i doubt it increases noise since its after the baffles. But if i get a non braked endcap I'll be able to answer more definitively

Tahoe1305

WKR
Might give them a call. I was able to get a 30 cal upon request. But that was January of this year.
Called em. Said they no longer sell because they can’t find a shop to machine them unfortunately. I have access to the equipment to work them, just not sure how to source the material and make the $$ worth it.

OP
C
Which would you pick between the AB Raptor 8 and the Scythe? Would be used on a 6.5 CM, .308 and 280 AI
I like the sound of the raptor slightly better, but the weight of the scythe is hard to beat. For me, lots of my hunts are in the backcountry so weight is important and i would pick the scythe personally. You wouldn't be disappointed with either one of them

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
Hey @Cameron.25 , this is off topic from thread, but do you know the weight of AB raptor 10 w 5" bull reflex? Or just the 5" bull reflex? Can't seem to find it posted anywhere on AB's site.

Bluefish

WKR
Hey @Cameron.25 , this is off topic from thread, but do you know the weight of AB raptor 10 w 5" bull reflex? Or just the 5" bull reflex? Can't seem to find it posted anywhere on AB's site.
A 3” on a 10 stack is about 15 oz. I expect another oz or two for the 5”. Have one in jail now. Really a pain to have the reflexes be part of a silencer, so you can’t just order different sizes. Have to get a complete can to get a different one once they have been used.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
A 3” on a 10 stack is about 15 oz. I expect another oz or two for the 5”. Have one in jail now. Really a pain to have the reflexes be part of a silencer, so you can’t just order different sizes. Have to get a complete can to get a different one once they have been used.
Thanks. And agreed on the reflex being a part of the silencer. I guess it is slightly in ABs benefit if people buy multiple just to get different sized reflexes.

Bluefish

WKR
Thanks. And agreed on the reflex being a part of the silencer. I guess it is slightly in ABs benefit if people buy multiple just to get different sized reflexes.
I asked them and they said atf claims the reflex reduces sound, so it’s a silencer. Yet nowhere is it serialized or even called out on the tax stamp form. Length listed on the form 4 is just the main body, so the only possible record is at AB with them recording how a serial number was shipped. fwiw I was able to swap an unfired one out for a different one with no issues.

OP
C
10 stack is little over 1lb 0.5 oz with the 5" bull barrel reflex. Reflex itself is 7oz on my scale

Attachments

• 20231116_115300.jpg
    20231116_115300.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 108
  • 20231116_114925.jpg
    20231116_114925.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 104

Daniel15

FNG
Ryan asked me to create a thread for the Scythe. They are sending him one, so I'm sure he will post his thoughts here as well. Ive only had one range day with it, I will be testing it more and will add any new thoughts to this thread after I can get back to the woods to shoot. I used it on my rifle hunts in WY recently, 4 shots were fired and 2 animals down. The scythe performed great, was able to keep animals in scope and get a follow up shot on both critters.

Initial thoughts are that I really like this can a lot. I think it strikes a perfect balance between suppression, recoil reduction, length/width and weight. I would like to see more TI cans be made a little shorter and fatter like this one, interested to see how it does against the hyperion k for instance, since I dont own that one but I know ryan does. Based on how well it did compared to my cans I did shoot it with, I bet it'll do well.

Weight:
8.25 oz on my kitchen scale, this is with the brake endcap and the 5/8x24 direct thread mount it came with

Length/width:
6 & 3/16" long including the brake endcap, 1 & 11/16" wide

I was gonna take a picture of it next to all the other cans we shot that day, but I just realized my friend is cerakoting my enticer STI so I dont have it at the moment. I will line them all up and post a pic when I get the STI back, but I do have a couple pics I took when I first recieved the scythe. Scythe is a little shorter/fatter than the STI if you look at the pictures.

Suppression: Best part about this can, it seems to perform at least as well as the heavier/longer cans we shot that day. We shot the AB raptor 8, AB raptor 10, diligent defense enticer STI, diligent defense enticer LTI, and the dead air nomad TI. The scythe was the lightest and shortest one shot that day. I also was using a 1" reflex mount on both raptors because I forgot to bring the damn direct thread mounts.. We were shooting my 20" 300 PRC with some hot hand loads.

Further shooting/redneck testing will be done, but during our one outing with it so far, we ranked it slightly quieter than the dead air and STI, neck and neck with the raptor 8. The LTI and raptor 10 seemed like they might be slightly quieter than the scythe but it was really close and hard to call definitively, to be honest. I would like to state that all of these cans are great and make my 300 PRC comfortable to shoot without ear pro, though the STI is right on the edge of that for me IMO.

So to sum it up, so far it seems to be performing as well or better than my longer, heavier cans. Its pretty impressive. I didn't notice any POI shift between it and the other cans, but will test that further too. My shots on game with it seemed to be dead on at least. The only reason I can come up with to not pick the scythe when shopping for a new can for your hunting rifle, would be if you needed a larger bore than 30 cal. Otherwise it seems like the best all around 30 cal option out at the moment, in my opinion

If any of you have any questions about the scythe or anything else, feel free to ask
How does it compare with the ultra 7 and raptor 8 with recoil reduction?

OP
C
How does it compare with the ultra 7 and raptor 8 with recoil reduction?
I don't have any if the TBAC cans, so many ask me how they compare that I almost feel like i need a try a couple. I felt like recoil was slightly less on the scythe vs the raptor 8. I do want to shoot them against eachother some more tho and do further testing

Daniel15

FNG
I don't have any if the TBAC cans, so many ask me how they compare that I almost feel like i need a try a couple. I felt like recoil was slightly less on the scythe vs the raptor 8. I do want to shoot them against eachother some more tho and do further testing
Ahh good to know. I’ll keep an eye out for that update

lak2004

WKR
My hang up is the cost, can go with tbac at the same proce or less sometimes. Or raptor 8 for the difference of the tax stamp. I think they need to lower the price point

Daniel15

FNG
I just spent the past few days shooting my TBAC 7 side by side with the scythe. Ty is was just hunting though and not a formal test. In the end, I’ll probably pass on the scythe since I just didn’t like it as well as my tbac7. It’s marginally lighter but for me not worth the $$$ when I already have a tbac7, Hyperion k and a banish 30.
Yea I have all but decided on the ultra 7 but just wanted to make sure I’ve kinda checked all my boxes

I just spent the past few days shooting my TBAC 7 side by side with the scythe. Ty is was just hunting though and not a formal test. In the end, I’ll probably pass on the scythe since I just didn’t like it as well as my tbac7. It’s marginally lighter but for me not worth the $$$ when I already have a tbac7, Hyperion k and a banish 30.

If you didn't have the other cans and looking at the scythe as your first can, would that change your opinion any or would you still go with the tbac7?

I’d be happy with a scythe if I didn’t have other cans. I think I’d probably still want a TBAC 7 though. Even when I ordered my banish 30 I knew what I really wanted a TBAC.
Thanks I appreciate the input. I'm torn between the two. Such a time and money investment, I want to make damn sure I'm happy with it.