Shoulder Seperation

MattB

WKR
If you guys have feedback in terms of recommendations, things to avoid, anecdotal experience on recovery times, etc., I am all ears.

I just did this 2 weeks ago. So i feel your pain. Mine is a grade 3 AC sep to my drawing arm (right shoulder). I went to the orthopedist on Tuesday of last week and got some excercises to do, etc. They way it was descibed to me was its not to big of a deal and only 1 out of 10 people need surgery from a grade 3. I was told last Tuesd that i could start shooting my bow again in 2 weeks. I just cranked it down and will start drawing in another week or so. Healing varies but the doc said it wont feel normal for 6-8 weeks but should heal up just fine. 7 and 8 days after i did it i was laying floors and moving to a new house with minimal pain (i went nice and easy). The stretches definitely help and i could scan them in and email them to you in you would like. Good luck and dont over do it. I will also shoot you a PM i recieved from a orthopedic surgeon who bow hunts with him curbside opinion.

Cody

LJ Buck

WKR
Do what the Doc says and then when you are recovered build the muscle up around the joint and continue to keep it strong. Dont try to lift to much take your time and you will be happy with the results.

Did mine 4 years ago and I can notice if i tale time off from the gym on how the shoulder feels when it gets weaker.

Brendan

WKR
Be nice to it in the short term! I would use your arm as little as possible for 2 weeks, and then start building up slowly. If you're still feeling pain, take longer and let it heal.

Look up exercises for your external rotators for when you start exercising it again.

Speaking from many, many full dislocations, 2 failed surgeries in my draw-arm shoulder.

handwerk

WKR
I wrecked mine two years ago, going over the handlebars of my mt bike.
It was/is beyond real repair through surgery, so I have the bone stciking up and bad sounds when I lift my right arm. Eventually I'll have to have the end of the bone cut off. Yep do what the doc says, mine was just a bad deal with no good fix, since I was 45 at the time, they said I'll just have to learn to live with it, which sucks, but I can still shoot, so it could be worse.
Good luck!

I've had three. Now have a slap tear and surgery schedualed after bow season :)
From experience take it easy, do the PT and be religious about it now and for the next 6 years... don't nelgect those inner shoulder muscles...

I get what I deserve on my joints, I'm the one that selfishly sold them for 11 years of pig skin.

Hindsite just don't push it, and don't jump back to quick.... take care of those joints!!! include the PT exercises into your daily life.

I wouldn't pick bow back up until week 8 just to be safe

69ChrisCraft

Lil-Rokslider
I had a slight rotator cuff tear while in college (5 years ago) that healed relatively fast. Last year I got into bowfishing and wasn't working out at the time and it became irritated quickly and has bothered me since. I've now been lifting moderately for 4 months and ALWAYS warm up before shooting and it is starting to subside. I agree with LJ buck... If you slack and allow the muscles to regress you will pay when you try and act young.

OP
M

MattB

WKR
I saw an orthopedic surgeon today (excellent reputation, team doc for an NFL team) and he indicated is a grade 2 (he initially thought grade 3), no surgery required. While we didn't go too deeply into it, he is an archer himself (shoots 55#) and suggested I give it 8 weeks until I try shooting again - for what that is worth.