Archery Elk shoulder blade shot

Hey all, looking to compile some anecdotal information about shoulder blade shots from others who have harvested elk…if you’ve shot an elk in the shoulder blade, NOT the leg bone(of course you’ll only really know which if ya recovered but you get the idea….please answer the questions:

1: cow or bull

2: did you get through the blade to vitals

3: type of broadhead, fixed or mechanical (not brand)

4: arrow weight/draw length/poundage

The simpler the answer the easier to follow…

Good example answer:

Bull
Yes
Fixed
430/31/73

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
Of course it's a miss if you hit an elk in the should and most likely won't end well, but...

I shot this bull a few years ago at 60 yards. Hit him right in the middle of the wide part of the scapula. Blew a quarter sized hole thru the bone and the arrow was a full pass thru. He never knew what him him. Stumbled down the slope right towards me and dropped 20 feet in front of me. One of the quickest kills I have had. I actually hunted back thru the spot where we boned him out and the white scapula with the big hole was still laying right there :) I should have taken it home.

Was shooting 70lbs 28" draw
Slick trick fixed blade cut on contact razor tricks 125s.
Total arrow weight around 450

11149753_10207602643244689_3522065265959809269_o.jpg

Beendare

WKR
You want shoulder blades- grin- I shot this bull in Co through both scapulas years ago.

He came in fast at 15’ and stopped but it was a steep downslope. I tried shooting lower..but you know…not that easy in a split second that close twisting from my knees.

the shot centered the scapula on entry and just clipped the back side of scapula lower on the exit- his leg must have been back…and the arrow went so far down the hill, never recovered it.

The bull never felt it, just stood there looking around…took 2 steps and died
70# compound, 440g tuned arrow, magnus ss 3 blade coc head.
IMG_1424.jpeg

Beendare

WKR
Fwiw, I’ve shot a bunch of elk…probably seen 80 or so shot with an arrow. I am 5 for 5 with mech heads but gave those up 30 years ago due to my buddy losing so many bulls with them.

I used the short chisel heads for a decade- those plow and put too much hair, hide and bone against the bevel dulling them.

FWIW, I have migrated to a BH that is tapered cut on contact design in either 2 or 3 blade. These slip in, penetrate better and that design keeps the blades razor sharp all the way through.

They have the added advantage that many animals don’t even feel the hit so if they didn’t make you, they hardly react making for very short blood trails. Some just stand there like this one above did.

I think all of these BH designs work. I put a premium on penetration…as a couple inches can make the difference…plus 2 holes pushing outside air into the chest help collapse the lungs.

#1-320 NM bull -Top 1/3 of shoulder 515 grains ulmer edge. looked like may be 26+ inches of arrow sticking out. Shall bull two days later pushing cows

#2-340 CO bull- inside front of shoulder. Frontal at 14 yards that went bad. 506 gr arrow with 125 iron will. he turned away as I shot. Recovered arrow after 20 yards, limited 2” penetration maybe, lots of arrow sticking out when he spun, arrow was reusable. Did have blood for 1.3 miles per onx though. No recovery, didnt see bull again

Last edited:
OP
switchbckxt
You want shoulder blades- grin- I shot this bull in Co through both scapulas years ago.

He came in fast at 15’ and stopped but it was a steep downslope. I tried shooting lower..but you know…not that easy in a split second that close twisting from my knees.

the shot centered the scapula on entry and just clipped the back side of scapula lower on the exit- his leg must have been back…and the arrow went so far down the hill, never recovered it.

The bull never felt it, just stood there looking around…took 2 steps and died
70# compound, 440g tuned arrow, magnus ss 3 blade coc head.
View attachment 674457

Thanks for the reply, what is your DL

OP
switchbckxt
#1-320 NM bull -Top 1/3 of shoulder 515 grains ulmer edge. looked like may be 26+ inches of arrow sticking out. Shall bull two days later pushing cows

#2-340 CO bull- inside front of shoulder. Frontal at 14 yards that went bad. 506 gr arrow with 125 iron will. he turned away as I shot. Recovered arrow after 20 yards, limited penetration lots of arrow sticking out when he spun, arrow was reusable. Did have blood for 1.3 miles per onx though. No recovery, didnt see bull again

Thanks what’s your dl?

Keep it comin guys, thanks!

BadEarth

Lil-Rokslider
Bull
40 yards
31”/520 grain arrow/70#
Rage hypodermic….

I popped over a hill to a bull bedded at 40. I had on a 2 blade kudu broadhead but got sketched out shooting that far because my bow hadn’t tuned great so I swapped to a rage and hammered the shoulder. I chased him 5 miles until he finally outran me. I’ll always wonder if the 2 blade would have got him

OP
switchbckxt
Bull
40 yards
31”/520 grain arrow/70#
Rage hypodermic….

I popped over a hill to a bull bedded at 40. I had on a 2 blade kudu broadhead but got sketched out shooting that far because my bow hadn’t tuned great so I swapped to a rage and hammered the shoulder. I chased him 5 miles until he finally outran me. I’ll always wonder if the 2 blade would have got him

Yeah I feel your pain,… going to compile all this info and see if it amounts to anything one way or the other. Thanks for sharing

yoopshoot

Lil-Rokslider
Good 6pt 18-19 yards quartered too, hugged close to shoulder due to angle. My gut tells me I hit the T on the shoulder blade ( at least if I hit where my eyes led me to believe ) . Bull never found. 3-4” penetration and arrow broke off.

560 grain arrow
80 lb/31.5”
Rage trypan

Felix40

WKR
I’ve only done it once.

Cow
Yes, complete pass through on both shoulder blades. Arrow went another 50 yards.
Fixed blade muzzy trocar
520gr, 80#, 29” draw length

Hnthrdr

WKR
Bull
No
Iron will 125
505/ 28.5/70#
Quartering too shot, 33 yards held tight on shoulder, decent penetration, never found the arrow, followed blood for 1.5 miles, decent blood, found what I believed to be a giant blood clot that came out of his nose, figured I would find him close and ended up losing blood after he wallowed a quarter mile from there…

Last edited:

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
Here is mine from a few years ago:

Bull
Yes
Fixed
525gr/27/70lbs

OP
switchbckxt
Good stuff fellas…

The more who contribute the better so thanks and keep it up.

jdoyle243

FNG
Hey all, looking to compile some anecdotal information about shoulder blade shots from others who have harvested elk…if you’ve shot an elk in the shoulder blade, NOT the leg bone(of course you’ll only really know which if ya recovered but you get the idea….please answer the questions:

1: cow or bull

2: did you get through the blade to vitals

3: type of broadhead, fixed or mechanical (not brand)

4: arrow weight/draw length/poundage

The simpler the answer the easier to follow…

Good example answer:

Bull
Yes
Fixed
430/31/73

No photo on this laptop to share but shot a decent sized roosevelt spike bull through the shoulder blade in 2022.

1. 2 year old bull
2. bury to fletch
3. fixed
4. 580/29/70

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
#1 - Quartering to......hit about 3" above the knuckle......full penetration......dropped in 2.5 seconds.

1. 6x6 bull
2. Yes
3. 3-blade over the top mechanical
4. 520gr/32.5"/71lbs

#2 - Broadside......hit a twig that deflected my arrow up into the scapula.....penetrated both of them and arrow stayed in the bull.

1. 6x6 bull
2. Yes
3. Fixed 3-blade
4. 500gr/32.5"/70lbs

Bull
No
Mech, trypan NC
469 gr, 275 fps, 8 yard shot

~4" penetration, blood stopped right where my fingers are. The arrow bounced out at the shot location, chunks of bone were clearly visible on the head, pretty sure I hit leg bone since I've seen longer range shots break holes in bones much thicker than a scapula. Head was fine, got resharpened and sent through a deer a couple months later. Long story on how this opportunity got blown unfortunately.

20230905_102617.jpg20230905_102612.jpg