New Tundra owners — Tow hooks?

SDHNTR

WKR
What have you guys done for tow hooks/recovery points on your 3rd gen Tundras?

Such an embarrassing oversight by Toyota, but I know there are aftermarket options. I like the idea of the AFE’s because they are truly bolt on, but it looks like actually using them would rip the front bumper off. Are there any other true bolt on options?

Last edited:

WRO

WKR
e838f4639b7d9a92099715c2f9f83e12.jpg

Mine are built into my bumper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColeyG

WKR
Who makes that bumper? I really like the look and low profile.

Most of the aftermarket Tundra bumper are big and bulky and not very aesthetically pleasing.

pcrossett

FNG
I ended up purchasing these aFe front tow hooks. The angle that you would pull from is not ideal as they are under the truck which could affect the air dam, but my thought process was if I am in a position that I need to use them I am less worried about damaging the air dam and getting out of the situation.

Installation was pretty easy and straightforward.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I ended up purchasing these aFe front tow hooks. The angle that you would pull from is not ideal as they are under the truck which could affect the air dam, but my thought process was if I am in a position that I need to use them I am less worried about damaging the air dam and getting out of the situation.

Yes, but see original post.

tony

WKR
What year? Are the holes in place to mount hooks?
I have a '21 ranger and changed out the factory tow hooks.
I added this kit from rough country,(frame mount). I didn't see anything for a tundra though

I added these hooks

And just beacuse I have one of these for the hitch

MIght check with rough country or an aftermarket Toytota parts place and see if the kit is avalible.

WCB

WKR

Air dam...you mean the thing I instantly take off my bump upon purchasing a vehicle. They don't last through the first hunting season anyways.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Air dam...you mean the thing I instantly take off my bump upon purchasing a vehicle. They don't last through the first hunting season anyways.
Well on some trim level Tundras that thing is electric. It flips up and down automatically. So you’re gonna tear that stupid thing up and the actual bumper too. It’s insanely stupid.

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
They probably figure tow hooks aren't needed on the new Tundra. After all, how stuck could a guy possibly get with that baby little motor they put in them?

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I put a set of Afe on the bottom of my frame. It was an hour job
Have you actually used them? They seem to be the easiest to install, but sure seems like the angle of the tow rope/strap would break the bumper.

Initially I put the above listed AFE loops on my frame, but they suck to access in the snow/mud and the strap angle puts pressure on the front bumper. I installed a covert bumper by CBI and have been very happy with it. Accepts a winch, has tow hook connections, has a solid bull bar and makes a great connection to the frame. I think it was just over 1k shipped.

I agree that it's ridiculous that it wasn't an included item, especially with the TRD package.

I believe the CBI covert bumper comes standard on the high end fancy version of the Tundra that's similar to the Raptors and such.

The covert bumper has a great stock appearance and extends a solid metal plate from mid grill line all the way down to the skid plate.