Shoulder or European?

I'm also in the Euro camp. On my way home from Africa, lots of great pics. Cost difference between euro and shoulder let me keep hunting. I have one big horn and one Elk shoulder mounted. Last couple of years euro mounts.
Either way, that is an enormous bull, worthy of a quality mount. Have you checked with a taxidermist, I've seen them cover the cost on great animals so they can hi light their work at sport shows.
Good luck, thanks for sharing.

This last year I was lucky enough to draw a unit 23 Arizona tag. Those that are familiar with the unit know that this is a premium unit that produces big bulls year after year. I have been building points for this unit for many years and had been dreaming of the day that I would be able to draw the tag. I live in Idaho and knew that getting down to scout as much as I would like and hunt was not going to be easy and that if I tried doing it on my own that I would not be doing the tag justice. I made the decision to hire a guide even though I had never done that before. After talking to many outfitters in AZ I decided to go with A3. I told them that I was not like most people that hire them. I was willing to go in any hell hole and over any mountain. I wanted their experience and knowledge of the unit. At one point before the hunt I even told my guide that if he knew of a monster but did not want to pursuit it because of the hell hole that it was in that I would let walk away if he got me on it. I told him I was willing to pack it out with the crew I was bringing from Idaho.

All the research I did and the people I had talked to about this hunt had told me that long shots are the norm in this unit. It is very thick country and most shots have to be taken across the canyon. I spent all summer working on dialing in my loads and my gun. I was very confident in my gun and my shot placement by time the hunt rolled around in late November.

When the hunt finally came I was as prepared as I thought I could be. I was lucky enough to have my dad and a hunting friend join me for the long drive down from Idaho. I was also lucky enough to have a friend of mine that lived in Texas jump on a plane and fly over for the hunt.

We showed up a day early so we could get familiar with our surroundings and to meet the guide. I was able to work with Dan from A3 as well as Jay one of the owners. Right off the bat it was clear that these guys knew what they were doing. The country was nothing like what I was used to hunting in Idaho and it was soon clear to me that I had made the correct decision in hiring these guys to help out. They had spent all summer in the unit as well as the early hunts. They were familiar with what bulls were around and what we should hold out for.

Opening morning came and we had decided that we wanted to pursuit a bull that had been spotted two days previously named Donald Trump Jr. He was give this name because he was strong on the right since he was an 8x7. That morning we all split up and went to different vantages in hopes of turning him up. We glassed the same canyons and hillsides over and over again but we were unable to turn him up. Its seemed the only thing We were able to glass up were other hunter. (125 tags) Towards the evening we were able to turn up some 330+ bulls which were monsters to me but I was assured by Dan that we could do better and reminded me that it was only the first day. That night was spent around camp telling stories and catching up with old and new friends.

The next morning we got and once again spread out hoping to turn up the bull we had been looking for and hoping that another hunter had not got him the day before. That morning there was a little bit more chatter on the radio as the wind had died down and the elk seemed to be moving around some more. We were finding some nice bulls but we were still hoping to find "THE ONE". Not long into the morning Jay came on the radio stating that he had located Donald Trump Jr. Dan, my dad, and myself packed up and started hiking back to the truck so that we could try to have a chance at him.

We were able to get over to Jay and we were surprised where he found the bull considering he was a couple miles from where we had found him a couple days earlier. The bull had bedded down in some thick brush but the sun was going to be on him soon and we knew that he was going to have to get up to get out of the sun. We tried to get as close as we could to him but unfortunately the way he was positioned the closest we could get was 885 yards. This is why I spent the summer preparing and shooting. I would like to be closer but I was very confident with my shooting. We took the time and built up a little area with rocks so I could get prone and be solid.

After laying there for about 30 min waiting the bull out I felt the sun hit my back and started getting hot. I knew that the bull was going to get up soon. The bull soon got up and walked into a small window. I squeezed off a shot the shot was high but dropped him in his place. We were able to get another one in him to finish him off.

At the end of the day this will always be a great memory to me. I was surrounded by my dad and friends. I was also able to make some new friends. Some people will try to discredit my trophy because I hired a guide but I am happy with the decision I made and wouldn't change that.
What’s to dis credit? Go read the thread from the guy who won the Wyoming governor’s tag. You had a once in a lifetime license in an unfamiliar area far from home. You did your homework and picked an outfit that knew their shit. You also did your homework to be able to make whatever shot came your way. And you passed on 330 bulls waiting for that opportunity. You’re a diy guy who made the decision to make the most of the hand you were dealt. I’m a hardcore diy guy who would have done the same things. After hearing the story of your hunt there’s no question in my mind I’d do a unique pedestal shoulder mount and include something on the base that was unique to the habitat where you hunted along with a picture of the bull at the kill sight. From one diy guy to another congratulations again man that’s a hell of a beast brother!

OP
208Logan

208Logan

FNG
Congrats on a tremendous bull and hunt of a lifetime. I vote shoulder mount especially with vaulted ceiling’s.
Just curious do you have any other shoulder mounts? Deer? Antelope?
No I have always done European on my other animals

Taxidermy has gotten so expensive that unless its something bigger than our biggest we are planning on ONLY doing European mounts going forward.

I'll simply bury them in the "euro enclosure" and let the fire ants do what they do. 4 months later, they get painted with white spray paint and put on the wall somewhere.

The verdict is in! Call Steve Brett at this number. Always a good idea to get an elk mounted by a guy who lives in elk country and hunts them himself. SUPER nice guy who does fantastic work. Maybe in driving distance from you in Idaho too. Thank me later.EC4EBC8C-D1E6-4F35-B7EB-066815C79D76.png

I'm a euro guy, love seeing the skull details on old animals. I did a euro on my 209" buck several years ago and I'm still glad I did.
i agree, but i do like to hang euros on skull hookers or something similar so the skull/antlers are portrayed in a more natural setting

JSMITT6

FNG
I am a Euro guy.. Well I should say that my wife doesn't like the look of shoulder mounts!

Mojave

WKR
Congrats, great bull. If you have the floor space pedestal mounts are very cool and will allow for a little fondling of the rack.
I hate pedistal mounts, my dad has a couple. I think they look dorky. Wall pedistals maybe, but not for an elk.

Do what makes you happy don't listen to a bunch of idiots on a forum, posting from our mothers basements.

If you have the wall space, and the spouse can deal with it (she likes it a lot), I'd get a shoulder mount. I have a shoulder mount pronghorn and aoudad and don't have the ceiling for an elk. My wife hates all of them and I ended up putting them in my office at work (huge office). Everyone is mostly happy. I don't have much of a man cave right now, and until I build a new shop with an office and a trophy room I probably won't.

Our better taxidermist in Southern New Mexico Rob Major are charging about $2000 for a shoulder mount elk.

I really enjoy skull mounts, and I think they are cool. I would be happy either way. All of my Namibian stuff is skull mounts, as it would have cost more than 2 trips to stuff everything.

If you can afford it, and it won't be the $2000 drama from the hand brake I'd do it.

But if you are happy with him as a skull, there is nothing wrong with it.

Thanks! I don't. I have plenty of euros. That is why I'm thinking I will do just this one shoulder.
normally i'd say euro, but knowing this, i think this would be the right time to have that one shoulder mount bull.... i'm a euro fan, because shoulder mounts take up a lot of wall space, but if you have any desire to have an elk shoulder mount, this is the bull to do it with..... that is a beautiful bull!!!!

JasonWi

WKR
I love Euro mounts and after having a few animals shoulder/pedestal mounted years ago I don't intend to ever mount another. Additionally with how little they stick off the wall compared to shoulder mounts is another plus.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Euro all the way, it’s more realistic and respectable- in my opinion. Tan the hide and use it for something. I have over 30 euros and one shoulder. I’ll tell you most all my non hunting guest appreciate the euros far more, not that we need their option per say but it does help at the voting centers.

KurtR

WKR
If its big it get shoulder mounted my wife likes them and they go in the house the euro mounts have to go on the wall in the garage except the one elk i have shot thats in the house.

Why does it matter what the wife thinks? Do you have to ask her if it’s okay for you to go hunting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Challis

FNG
I am 100% Euro regardless of size. I have both on the walls and prefer the Euro, especially if you factor in cost and space. Great bull by the way.