Need help with elk shoulder mount pose

Geewhiz

WKR
Ladies and gentlemen.

I shot a nice bull this year and am truly torn between weather I want to leave him as a european skull mount, or to have him shoulder mounted. I did cape out the bull on the mountain and took the cape to the taxidermist. We chatted for a bit and he is aware that I am unsure of what I want to do at this point, but I told him to go ahead and process the cape as he would for a shoulder mount, and I will pay him for his time and efforts either way. I have a few months still to make up my mind but that will be gone before I know it, and I want to be respectful of his time.

I am not necessarily asking you all's opinions on what to do with the bull, but rather I would like to see some photos of your bull elk shoulder mounts with poses that are more on the non-traditional side of things.

If I do go the shoulder mount route, I don't want a run of the mill pose, but more of a unique piece of art that you don't see every day, and I would like to see some options.

Here is your opportunity to brag on your bull elk and show all of us your shoulder mounted elk.

Thanks in advance for your contributions.

Last edited:
What do you mean by too many scoundrels ? Just curious

For the mount. Make sure there’s room on ceiling for where you intend to hang. That might matter. Also. Where you hang to be able to be viewed by correct position in house. (If not forever location, think of variables down the line in other sheds / houses)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Geewhiz

Geewhiz

WKR
What do you mean by too many scoundrels ? Just curious

For the mount. Make sure there’s room on ceiling for where you intend to hang. That might matter. Also. Where you hang to be able to be viewed by correct position in house. (If not forever location, think of variables down the line in other sheds / houses)

Let's just say I've been screwed over by imbedded metadata before and this is PTSD from that. :cry:

I've got plenty of space with the peak at the vault right around 12'6". The head is euro'd and on a skull hooker now. I really do like euros but if I ever was going to do a shoulder mount this would be the one. Just figured If I saw a really cool shoulder pose that I liked maybe I would lean more towards a shoulder mount.

Yea I gotcha. Figured that’s why ya didn’t want to post.

Some people are scared of backdrop giving away location. People say to screen shot the image so there’s no geo tag.

But anywho…

Do image search on Google for that mount

I’ve seen a kewl mount with shoulder turning and leaning like a bugle - pretty kewl. But would have to be in right spot of house/ shed to make it pop and do it justice.

Good luck

Posted before.
I don't have tall ceilings. And don't plan to stay in the house. So I did a pedestal, its on casters so easy to move. I figure any house im in I should be able to angle him a reasonable way.
Hopefully someday I tag another and can put them back to back.
20190727_192939.jpg
20190727_193002.jpg
20190727_192946.jpg

Attachments

• 20190727_192946.jpg
    20190727_192946.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 22

Jimss

WKR
A lot depends on how much room you have in your house and the height of your ceiling. My absolute favorite mounts are either wall pedestal or pedestal on a base. They bring more life to a mount than just a head on the wall.

I like more shoulder on my mount. Taxidermist can add additional shoulder to a manikin as desired. I also like a little more turn to the neck. If you do a search on taxidermy catalogs you’ll see what manikins are available and examples of each.

There are many different options for pedestal bases. From simple wood to extravagant bases with rock, trees, photos and small critters added.

Scottf270

WKR
I like at least one mount of each species I hunt. After that , I prefer euros. I have had my taxidermist switch out racks or horns if I kill something "better". I really like a wall pedestal and I like a true floor pedestal that swivels. Some mounts can be made to do both if you change your mind.

OP
Geewhiz

Geewhiz

WKR
Here’s one I found on the internet that I really like. Not sure who makes a form like that but I really like his eyes and the expression in his face.

Attachments

• 8076481E-CFA5-42DF-9CEB-5EED1183976B.jpeg
    8076481E-CFA5-42DF-9CEB-5EED1183976B.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 71

Maverick1

WKR
Elk take up a lot of wall space. In a room with 8’ ceilings, I’ve got a couple that are about 2’ off the floor. And they take up about 45-48” in width, depending on the size of the elk and width of the main beams. So figure that you need about a 6’ high by about a 5’ wide space for an offset shoulder mount, right or left slight turn. And I’d recommend taller than 8’ ceilings or the nose will be at about waist height.

As mentioned by someone else above, if you have to get it down or up stairs, or even in a normal sized door, I’d recommend getting the antlers pinned (removable). Had one that didn’t fit, and that was a source of household pain for a brief while. LOL. Ended up pinning one antler after the fact, would have been better to do it early on. (If you are into scoring and “getting it into the book” make sure you do that ahead of time. I’m not, so I didn’t, but others might be!)

Legend

WKR
Ladies and gentlemen.

I shot a nice bull this year and am truly torn between weather I want to leave him as a european skull mount, or to have him shoulder mounted. I did cape out the bull on the mountain and took the cape to the taxidermist. We chatted for a bit and he is aware that I am unsure of what I want to do at this point, but I told him to go ahead and process the cape as he would for a shoulder mount, and I will pay him for his time and efforts either way. I have a few months still to make up my mind but that will be gone before I know it, and I want to be respectful of his time.

I am not necessarily asking you all's opinions on what to do with the bull, but rather I would like to see some photos of your bull elk shoulder mounts with poses that are more on the non-traditional of things.

If I do go the shoulder mount route, I don't want a run of the mill pose, but more of a unique piece of art that you don't see every day, and I would like to see some options.

Here is your opportunity to brag on your bull elk and show all of us your shoulder mounted elk.

Thanks in advance for your contributions.
I got a my best bull last year(and likely never best it). I went with european mount. I have a great bull with a full shoulder but it doesn't jive with the rest of the house so it is stuck in a dark storage room. Euro mounts can work with almost every interior, even some pretty modern stuff.

Besides when I am gone there is a better chance my kids will keep the euro mount in the family.

My 2 cents