Shoulder mount to euro?

Jd259

WKR
Anyone ever had a shoulder mount converted to a euro? Is it even possible? I have a pretty good bull I had shoulder mounted and my house at the time had 14’ ceilings so it was awesome but I’ve since moved to a house with normal 8’ ceilings and it’s just way to big to have in the house so it sits in the shop now but I’d really like to have it in the house so I was thinking about possibly converting it to a euro if it’s even possible.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since they cut the skull cap for a mount you'd have to have a replica skull for the euro. If your taxidermist was really good with paint it might turn out unnoticeable to most.

Here's a similar thread https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/elk-euro-mount.82865/

14a8423d1ff6a5726419150a4366e500.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Jd259

Jd259

WKR
Think there’s any way you could use a real bull skull and and somehow attach another set of horns to one? Just to keep the look of a true elk skull.

This is why I do both.

Attachments

• bisonrs.jpg
    bisonrs.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 40
  • camera 011.jpg
    camera 011.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 40

TheTone

WKR
Think there’s any way you could use a real bull skull and and somehow attach another set of horns to one? Just to keep the look of a true elk skull.
Depending on the condition of the skull cap on the mount you may be able to cut a skull to match the shape of you current skull cap and glue it together. My cousin had it done with a deer he skull capped and now has on a skull. You can’t tell looking up at it on the wall

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe if your taxidermist had one that was close to the same size as yours that he cut the antlers off of.

Then he could puzzle fit the pieces together and epoxy them, then paint the entire skull to hide all the imperfections.

Betting the finished product ends up looking pretty dang near the replica with more added work and cost.

I'd ask your taxidermist and see which way he thinks he can get to look the best.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

jayhawk

WKR
Just my opinion, but I think those artificial skulls just look like fake skulls.

You can use a real skull. But it is expensive because it is difficult for a taxidermist to do.

An alternative is to go straight to an antler mount. No skull, cheaper, and done well they look better than fake skulls.

OP
Jd259

Jd259

WKR
I was thinking possibly cutting them right at the burr and do the same to another head (I have a buddy with sever dead heads he’s found over the years) and like dowel and epoxy my horns to the new skull.. might just be dreaming thinking it could be doable probably just need to talk to my taxi…

nphunter

WKR
I was thinking possibly cutting them right at the burr and do the same to another head (I have a buddy with sever dead heads he’s found over the years) and like dowel and epoxy my horns to the new skull.. might just be dreaming thinking it could be doable probably just need to talk to my taxi…
That’s how they do velvet bull euros. It can be done by a good taxi, it would most likely be cheaper if you supply the skull. They will saw off the skull and epoxy them on just like you mentioned.

It can be done just like you said with a dowel and epoxy. The tricky part is getting the width, and antlers set right. Drilling the holes so the antler sits correct is crucial. You could have a 40" bull, but if not set correct it could be a 35" or 45" bull. Someone that has done it before would be helpful.

OP
Jd259

Jd259

WKR
Thanks for the input guys I’ll reach out to my taxi and see if it’s something he feels like he can tackle.

It’s not difficult to do. The hard part will be the width. Each elk skull is different and will have different spacing between the pedacles. Sometimes the pedacles are crooked or one is slightly off from the other one. Try to find another skull that both pedacles match well. I cut antlers off all the time for velvet euros or shoulder mounts with removable antlers. Never use a dowel rod, always use the appropriate size of all thread. The threads will give the epoxy something to grab onto. I used bondo a lot mixed with some fiberglass resin and hardener. For myself I prefer antler plaques covered in a nice leather. I then braided some leather and would glue and wrap it around the pedacles. I also used the the skull cap with antlers attached screwed down to good chunk of wood cut into the shape I wanted. Cover all that in paper mache or bondo then smooth or sand the bondo till there are no visible bumps. Stretch and hot glue the leather to the back of your cut and shaped wood then attach that to a nice wood plaque.