Shoulder Mount vs Wall Pedestal Mount

OP
Doc Holliday
One more option for ya!
That looks awesome, but lifesize is not an option sadly....the rooms in my house where I could put it are too small. I had the guide cape it for a shoulder mount, but I did save the back skin so I can drape that over the leather chair underneath the mount.

Reactions: CHL

chasewild

WKR
I’m a big fan of wall pedestal, especially when you have a beauty cape to show as well. The pedestal hangs exactly the way the shoulder mount does. One lag into the wall stud and it hangs on the typical taxi mount.

bc1bceaa6f610cf5da1b987be45f323e.jpg
Show off.

WCB

WKR
I have seen wall pedestals where the wall side shoulder essentially sits "almost" flat against the wall with a lot of the "back end" of the mount exposed and the head turned straight out from the wall. Back f head sits really close to the wall. Basically perfectly broadside. So you really can't see behind and to get a good side profile you have to basically stand with your shoulder to the wall. These are a no go for me.

I would make sure it is more of this style. Mckenzie DA29wp.JPG

I do not like wall pedestals at all when up on a wall. They just look weird to me. I much prefer the pedestal on a table etc. They really pop. In saying that, I much prefer a set of giant horns on a table for all to feel the weight of something few will ever know.

Attachments

• IMG_1943.jpg
    IMG_1943.jpg
    651.6 KB · Views: 51

cbarg14

FNG
I do not like wall pedestals at all. They just look weird to me. I much prefer the pedestal on a table etc. They really pop. In saying that, I much prefer a set of giant horns on a table for all to feel the weight of something few will ever know.
That is a beautiful mount of a toad ram! Congrats!

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Not a sheep, but gives you a feel for a pedestal on a wall. I have not really cared for this mount since the day it arrived. I think it would look better on a base.

Attachments

• F5E38EDB-C388-4EAD-AAC7-C0ED99B3E459.jpeg
    F5E38EDB-C388-4EAD-AAC7-C0ED99B3E459.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 7E047694-D8AB-4685-ACBB-D391FB80CC6D.jpeg
    7E047694-D8AB-4685-ACBB-D391FB80CC6D.jpeg
    262.7 KB · Views: 57
OP
Doc Holliday
Not a sheep, but gives you a feel for a pedestal on a wall. I have not really cared for this mount since the day it arrived. I think it would look better on a base.
Yeah I don't like the felt or whatever is behind many of the scalloped edges. I am having them use cape like @cbarg14 did

WCB

WKR
Here are a couple wall ped mounts. Not sheep...Deer is mine the goat is a buddies my taxi did and I held it for him till he could pick it up (lives out of state)

These are more offset from the wall. The backs were basically just finished with felt. But unless you put your head directly against the wall and look you cant see them since the barely stick off the wall. The are more of an "offset" than a typical wall pedestal.

You could always find a pose or postition you like and have your taxi customize it into a wall ped/offset.

Attachments

• wallped 2.jpg
    wallped 2.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 24
  • wall ped3.jpg
    wall ped3.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 24
  • Wall Ped1.jpg
    Wall Ped1.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 24

as.ks.ak

WKR
d43a2b23cf646c34ee196251387ecbe9.jpg

37bcd21156c9953b0fe72707d2aa38b1.jpg

I wish I’d have had this one done differently, looking back on it now. I could care less for adding habitat.. it just drives up price and takes up more space. Live and learn. That being said, I am still plenty pleased with how it turned out.

As for goats….pedestals are the only way you can do that massive front shoulder and the true size of a big Billy justice. I aspire to have the mtn goat seasonal collection. This one is a November goat. Someday I’d like to have Aug-March on the same wall.

2fc52b663410a54fd5b46e6869ea8bb0.jpg

03e42996b8cac0da8b234801eef2d48a.jpg

d7689fc4bb7dcd5d9b2a1ccb5fb10ad5.jpg

WKR
Both sheep are just flush mounted. Have some whitetails done using a wall pedestal. I could see doing either on a ram. Seems like on sheep I mainly look at horns lol. Such a good problem to have though on mounting your stone. I like the idea of them looking different directions. Good luck on those last 2.

Attachments

• IMG_2294.jpg
    IMG_2294.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 41
OP
Doc Holliday
I have seen wall pedestals where the wall side shoulder essentially sits "almost" flat against the wall with a lot of the "back end" of the mount exposed and the head turned straight out from the wall. Back f head sits really close to the wall. Basically perfectly broadside. So you really can't see behind and to get a good side profile you have to basically stand with your shoulder to the wall. These are a no go for me.

I would make sure it is more of this style. View attachment 651798
Thank you! I just emailed this exact pic to my Taxidermist and told them I want it coming out of the wall with the same angle, just with the head turned slightly more to the left. I don’t think they use McKenzie forms but I’m sure they can get or fabricate something similar

Mckenzie DA29WP  edited.JPG

Last edited:
I do not like wall pedestals at all when up on a wall. They just look weird to me. I much prefer the pedestal on a table etc. They really pop. In saying that, I much prefer a set of giant horns on a table for all to feel the weight of something few will ever know.
I agree with your line of thinking here. I am not a fan of pedestals on the wall, but when they are positioned on a base as a pedestal, they look pretty cool. The ram you posted is a perfect example of that. I only have one of my sheep mounted and I opted for a traditional shoulder mount with a right head turn. I look at it every day and it takes me back to that adventure almost 5 years ago now.