Shoulder or European?

208Logan

FNG
Ok so need helping with deciding what I should do with my 2021 AZ bull. I always said that if I got a bill over 350 I would shoulder mount it. I have a European done to it while waiting for the hide and form. The Euro is cool because people can hold it and appreciate it's mass and character but the shoulder would look great in my house with vaulted ceiling. What would you guys do? IMG_4704.jpgIMG_6260.jpg20220310_044309.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4704.jpg
    IMG_4704.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 87
I have lots of bulls on the wall. Shoulders and euros. It’s nice to have one shoulder mount but I wish I went with euros on the rest. I would prefer my biggest bull to be the shoulder. I’m going to guess that’ll probably be your biggest so I’d go with a pedestal shoulder mount and do euros on every bull after that. They’ll make this one look even bigger. Since a pedestal isn’t way up high on a wall people can still get up close and personal and get their hands on the antlers. If you go with a euro on this one you’ll never get a shoulder mount. It would just look small. Congratulations man that’s a freakin studj

That's a hell of a bull. Do you have any elk shoulder mounts yet? If you don't I'd go with the shoulder mount. I'd like to have a nice mount one day.

That's a hell of a bull. Do you have any elk shoulder mounts yet? If you don't I'd go with the shoulder mount. I'd like to have a nice mount one day.
Thanks! I don't. I have plenty of euros. That is why I'm thinking I will do just this one shoulder.

Killer bull I kinda run the old theory if you have to ask. I’d probably stick with the euro in 10 years if you change your mind out a different cape on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The overwhelming majority of elk shoulder mounts aren’t that great. They all end up looking dopey. Even the really good ones struggle to show the emotion that elk emit and they don’t recreate a mid September bull that is wet, muddy, piss-stained, and pissed off.

Stick with the euro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive come to the realization that shoulder mounts are just too personal to justify the $$$ and space they take up.

Plus, when a person gets older and starts to think about whats going to happen to his stuff later in life, then what?
Your kids probably dont have the connection to the shoulder mount, and most likely your wifey doesnt either.

I have a few shoulder mounts, but I have instructions to my kids that if something ever happens to me, tear them things apart and sell the antlers by the pound, along with all my euros.

Doing a Euro gets my vote

IF you have the space, my vote goes to a shoulder mount. Euros are very cool but there is something about looking at a shoulder mount that takes a guy back to the time and place of the hunt. I love my euros but they don't do the same imo. I have a large man cave with vaulted ceilings. I have one shoulder mount for each of the animals represented in the room with the rest either plaque or euro. Every time I walk in the room my eyes go to my elk and mule deer mounts.

To me, euro's are just a set of antlers........might as well be in the shed, or sold to the antler buyer. If you have the cape and it's in good condition, I'd do a shoulder mount without question.

I don't have anymore room for either, so at this point I just donate the mounts elsewhere. I love seeing the "bulls", not just a set of antlers.

I’d go euro… I was in the same pickle two years ago when I killed my best bull 330+ and ended up goin with a shoulder mount and I swear the bull lost 20” when I got it back and hung it up and their huge… when I killed it and mounted it I lived in a house with 14’ ceilings and it was fine there but I since bought a new house with normal 8’ ceilings and it’s way to big so it’s off to the shop with it and I’m out 2k for the mount lol

I don't hunt elk so take this with a grain of salt, but with caribou I had my first and biggest (370") shoulder mounted. I knew I'd likely never beat it and I prefer to have at least one good representative of each species I hunt or have hunted done into a shoulder or half life-size mount. All of the rest are euro if over 300" and the top three are displayed in the house. The rest go in the garage or wherever along with all the sub 300" skull capped bulls. If you do go with a mount I'd recommend having it done with detachable antlers for obvious reasons. I actually find mounts with detachable antlers easier to move than my big euro mounts because they can be taken apart.

Plus when you get older and have to lay on the floor to do old man stretches, the view of shoulder mounts from the floor is quite nice compared to a euro.
bbcd6c2e63c08199cf02d62e7db0194d.jpg

Last edited:
Back