Short bed truck sleeping?

So frustrated with trucks, truck shopping and lack of options. Kinda floored at what "people" really seem to be wanting.

I've started truck threads here. Participated in several others. Hate to ask as I think I already know....but I am frustrated.

Any short(er) guys slum it and try to sleep in a 5 ft truck bed? I already have a 1999 Tacoma with a 6 ft bed. I am only 5'8". But by the time by feet stretch and I put my arms behind my head I feel I am touching metal more than not.

Been looking once again at Colorados and Tacomas. Can't find happy. Possibly found a Duramax 2.8 with locker and 6ft bed. 38K on the odometer. And matching $38K price tag.

The Tacoma 2.7 Turbo doesn't really do much for me, although it seems easier to get a 6 footer in new Tacomas. I just can't find happy. And Dave "No Fun" Ramsey is pretty against new vehicles. But I'll be 53 in a few months and I've only ever owned ONE new truck in my life. And I did a great job of keeping it for 10+ years and 225,000 miles.

Even diagonally.....can a dude do much with a 5ft bed?

wesfromky

WKR
Nissan offers a 6 foot bed still. Otherwise, you have to look at popup canopy shells or something like the radica moonlander.

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
I mean, I've curled up in the rear seat of a cab to sleep before, so anythings possible. But whats comfortable? I'm 6"4 and I can sleep comfortably in a 6 1/2' bed. Just use some extra padding where my feet might touch the tailgate.

I tend to bend my legs a little and sleep on my side, so I'm probably 5'10" when im comfortable. Do you sleep completely flat or get shorter?

I've got a 5.5' truck bed and I sleep in it all the time. I have a topper and will usually just drape a tarp over the end with the tailgate down and topper hatch open, or in mild weather ill just leave it open without a tarp. I put together a sleep platform that kind of slides out to a total of 7 ish feet long.

I'm about your same height. I like having a six foot truck bed to sleep. I could make it work at 5.5 feet. I feel like you would have to leave the tailgate down at 5 feet, which would be fine considering that I unintentionally deleted my topper window...

I also have a same size buddy who curls up on the floor of his backseat. No way for me.

When I have too much stuff in the bed, I'll just throw my cot next to the truck.

Simple, open the tailgate, gives you another 1 1/2’ of space. I sleep in my 5 1/2’ F150 bed often when the weather cooperates and I’m 5’11”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got an 8' bed with topper, but it gets so dusty I don't sleep in it anymore.

Most nights, i kick back the passenger seat with a sleeping bag and voila, bed.

jimh406

WKR
I had a Chevy Avalanche once upon a time. I pitched a free standing 5x7 in it with the tailgate down. Maybe something like that would be an option. If you count the tailgate, you should be getting close to 6 1/2 feet with even a 5 ft bed.

5.5' bed in my Ram. I built a platform over the wheel wells. Totes and what-nots get slid under and I can sleep diagonally on the platform. Back sleeper 100%.

mdp22

FNG
I usually sleep under the stars, luckily there’s not many bugs in NM. If bad weather is in the forecast I’ll take out the toolbox and use my Bestop topper. 6.5 foot bed in an F-150.

Attachments

• IMG_0445.jpeg
    IMG_0445.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 93

Marble

WKR
For my tastes, I prefer the full-size long bed option. But I'm used to it. It gives me plenty of room for gear and my wife to sleep in it with me. If the weather sucks, I have room to put anything in there that can't get wet, or, something that animals may mess with.

But I realize a long bed isn't for everyone. The other option is a full-size truck with a 6' bed. A little wider and of you have a shell, a little more head room.

Whatever you do, but what you want, not what you think will work. I would rather use what I have and wait until I can get what I want than buy something that's almost what I want.

And your thoughts on the new truck aren't far off. Only you can make that call. If you're patient, you'll find what you're looking for and be delighted.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I slept diagonally under the tonneau cover of my Ram 5.5' bed once. I preferred sleeping in the backseat better, but that's not great either. 5'-7" side sleeper.

Slept under a 4-runner in a parking lot once after a long, successful bear hunt where we retreated from the high country due to smoke but then couldn't find a camp spot. Found a decent spot to wedge in between the muffler and spare tire sideways...didn't sleep much despite being exhausted.

I just bought a 6.5' bed and would crawl in the back of trucks I was test driving to confirm how comfortable the length felt, and put a tape to it to confirm my cot would fit. Sales guys probably thought it was weird. I'd say give that a try and go from there.

TSAMP

WKR
I am 5'9 and I sleep in my f150 short box. That bed is 5'6 I think. It is OK, I sleep on my side on a platform but I typically wake up as I roll around alot and try and stretch out.

I am frustrated with truck shopping as well. Been trying to find a 5.0 with a 6.5' bed. Have to keep asking myself if I need the extra bed length.

The GM full size short box is around 5'10, by the way.

Overwire

FNG
I’m 6 foot. When I had a frontier with a 5 foot box I slept in the back a couple times. Sleeping diagonal my head would just touch one corner and my feet touch the opposite corner pretty good stretched out on my back. Not ideal but I slept fine. I have a Ram with 5’7” box now and sleeping diagonal is not a problem. Can fully stretch out without touching metal but my bag and pillow will be touching. Obviously with the tailgate down can sleep straight no problem even with 5’ bed.

The Tacomas are pretty easy to find with 6’ box if you want midsize. I would wait 5 years before buying the new powertrain though to see how things shake out so would be looking at used, although prices on used Tacomas is nuts.

I also have a 99 tacoma with a 6ft bed and slept in the bed many nights on a lightweight cot. I'd recommend an inexpensive tent and a quality cot and sleeping bag.
I also have a lightweight Viking pop up trailer that I use for extended stays.
If absolutely have to sleep in the bed of a truck then why not get a camper or a roof tent.

I’m 6’1” so not happening for me. As far as options out there and what most people want 99% of truck buyers arent intending to sleep in the bed. Most are trying to have a truck that they can put people back seat and get the truck in a suburban garage. So a crew cab short box is what fits. They are hauling a few coolers or other equipment in the bed. Most will very seldom even pull anything with the truck. So it doesnt surprise me that you don't see many longer bed trucks on the lots.

I also have a 99 tacoma with a 6ft bed and slept in the bed many nights on a lightweight cot. I'd recommend an inexpensive tent and a quality cot and sleeping bag.
I also have a lightweight Viking pop up trailer that I use for extended stays.
If absolutely have to sleep in the bed of a truck then why not get a camper or a roof tent.
This.