Shipping firearms

How are you guys selling and shipping rifles? I’ve got a pile of rare rifles I’d like to sell but I’ve never sold any online. I’ve read that trying to ship them out yourself is not well received by UPS etc. Thinking that having the local gun store ship them for me would be the best option?
Thanks

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Also to clarify when selling them (certainly across state lines) you need to ship them to the buyers FFL who may want a copy of your drivers license, etc to facilitate the sake transfer.

MtnW

WKR
Do you have a firearms insurance policy? If not you may want to look into one before shipping rare and possibly expensive firearms. FedEx, UPS and Priority Mail USPS have bad reputations for fairly settling claims for damaged or lost shipments . Lately I ship in heavy Pelican cases, a large added expense, but dealing with a damaged firearm is a no win situation and a big hassle. Having a firearms insurance policy, I don’t need to purchase or deal with the carriers insurance charges which add up very fast.

You better have receipts,pics or better yet video off it being boxed and when you tape it up and hand over to shipper.
Be prepared to get less value even with receipts.
Be prepared to not get any answers if it’s lost.
I would do everything possible including a discounted price to sale local.

It’s not difficult. Ups isn’t the only option. Gunbroker charges a hefty fee which makes selling online a bit of a money drain. Selling off forums and what not is an option but you may be sitting on them for awhile. Also understand that what you can sell locally you may not get online. The shipping fees and ffl fees start adding up.

I’ve mailed close to 100 firearms over the last few years (most to myself and most within state) and have yet to have one arrive damaged or lost.

Only ship via usps though. I’ve received a few off of gunbroker that were sent fed ex.

As mentioned it will have to go through a ffl if crossing state lines. You can mail to someone in your state without going through a ffl. Some ffls will allow you to ship directly to them, and some require it be shipped from a ffl to a ffl.

The only gun I mailed out of state was a hassle for me, because I didn’t have a ffl close to me, and the guy buying took forever to find a ffl that would receive the package from me.

I typically split shipping costs with the buyer but not insurance. That’s on them. I also won’t ship until payment has cleared.

USPS sucks now with their extra oversize package fees. Every gun I ship now has an extra $22 fee added to it.

Good luck and hopefully you find something that works for you.

goosedog

FNG
I went thru my local gun shop they charged me a small fee and then shipping to box it up and ship it to another ffl super easy that way and the buyer was reassured he was actually getting the rifle he bought I would do it again this way

Sold and shipped a handful via USPS from various locations. USPS should ship no issue but I’ve heard there are exceptions.