Sh!tty Packs

def90

WKR
^ lol.. I did a 6 mile in backpacking/camping trip with my Alice pack once, worst backpacking hike ever, I think I had a forward lean for two months afterwards.

Mustang06

FNG
It wasn't long after I got home after that packout that I bought an EXO!

I humped that ruck for 15 years...now it sits in the basement hunting room as a reminder of the past.

DBD1E2BE-C173-4EC1-91D8-F0DE23BB3B28.jpeg
my brother in law carried out an elk front quarter and rear quarter in a Horn Hunter main beam. Pack out was about a mile and a half. Almost felt sorry for him😂

Reactions: WCS

ScottinPA

WKR
2014 I killed my only bull (see avatar) so far. Me, a buddy, and guide packed it out. Buddy had a bum hip so he carried the head. I strapped a load to my Camelbak Striker (not even a frame sheet). The guide and I packed loads and alternated every 100 yds carrying a pillow case of meat for about 2 miles. That was a sufferfest. Swore after that I'd have something better even on day hunts and I do.

Scrappy

WKR
Not having a good pack is not as bad as watching all the dudes on YouTube with their top of the line packs with the load lifters sucked all the way up with their shoulder straps wadded up at the top.

FLAK

WKR
Love my E-Stock J107 and have packed out a Gemsbok off the White Sands (12 miles round trip) with a Cabelas fleece daypack that was already 20 yrs. old. Still using it.

Here’s a couple of no pack pictures.. this one wasn’t fun.
6e9b7398933af993d79a6edf91afcdf0.png

d17c9b1cb26ebf1a4f5f438a6e55e7ce.png

129fb521274b1d3c5eb030c8359badb0.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My point is one doesn't need a high end pack, nor boots, etc to hunt the West and it should not be a limiting factor. I've killed bighorn sheep in cotton, elk in timberland hikers, and have hung countless elk in trees from pillow sheets. The only thing a guy needs is some ambition, and the mind set to make it happen. Everything else is secondary.

You can mitigate crappy gear with a little more heart, a little more push.

And crappy gear has some advantages. You never worry about anything being stolen out of your vehicle, at a trailhead, in base camp or on the mountain.

I can’t imagine leaving a $700 cooler sitting in base camp. A higher end pack is at least on your back.

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not really sure what to say? With all of you making fun of my current gear and all. My pack frames are so old and modded that I have no idea what brand they even are. I think my newest one 23-25 years old! I just figured that when packing out moose, they were heavy! And the older I get the heavier they seem to get too. Now you got me thinking that I have been missing out on something and maybe a new pack will take some of the heavy out of them darn moose! haha On a serious note, are you guys able to pack a moose quarter with one of those internal frame packs? Are they really that much better than a pack board?

Randle

WKR
I will get torched for this . I give new meaning to "Run what you brung". Gotta do what you gotta do .
Great pictures

Not having a good pack is not as bad as watching all the dudes on YouTube with their top of the line packs with the load lifters sucked all the way up with their shoulder straps wadded up at the top.
Facts! I've spent years backpacking now, having your pack dialed in and knowing what the straps do is a must!

Not a pic with an animal but I was cleaning out my shop yesterday and wanted to bring this thread back to life.

A real gem of a pack here! $100 to your door if you too would like a real hunting experience 🤣. That hip belt make we wince even today.

44B46643-5543-463C-9971-0C5B63CCBB66.jpeg718D2E86-6120-4EFF-A5EC-B00BBA9A81EB.jpeg