Sh!tty Packs

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Shoot2HuntU
This was mile 8 just before I got back to the truck on an old blacks Creek g7 pack. Half the gear I had was off Craigslist and that sleeping bag was an honest 6 lbs. This load was 115 lbs. Pretty much every zipper on this pack failed but considering that it had a sheet of plastic for a frame there were much worse packs in that day.

Attachments

• IMG_20190212_080712_289.jpg
    IMG_20190212_080712_289.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 410
  • C360_2011-10-2317-41-12.jpg
    C360_2011-10-2317-41-12.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 403
I don’t have any pics but I packed out my first buck with a backpack exactly like this:

605354E3-1D42-495D-BE23-60FBEFB70FB5.jpeg

It did have a belt and a couple metal stays but 100% of that weight was on my shoulders. It was probably 1-1.5 miles from a road

MAVinWA

Lil-Rokslider
Based in WA, OTC archery public land in AZ, UT, so
20102010.2 Twisp Buck 3x4.JPG
2010, 2nd to last day tag filler 3x4 muley buck pack out from bottom of canyon/creek bottom. 1200' elev gain to the top. Then 2.5 mile trail to camp. Twisp WA-Sawtooth Wilderness
A Badlands Ox frame, Eberlestock X2 pack modified & meat shelf to fit. Last load of buck rack, 60lbs boned meat.
took my inherited family heirloom rifle, 32 win spl, for nostalgia good luck on this trip.
Had I brought my usual 300win mag, would have saved myself 1000' elevation. I had to keep following that buck and does down the finger ridge to get close enough for that old rifle. But it did the job at 120 yards. Buck rolled 200' downhill, landing right in the creek.
Reached via Rino GPS/radio, My partner on top said ; "WTF, are you crazy or something?!"

I love my Kifaru system last 8 years but that OX frame could pack some serious meat loads!
I've packed out several 100+lbs elk meat loads strapped to this frame. Sold the frame and Badlands OX pack, just never used that huge Badlands pack bag but once or twice.

Last edited:

surso

FNG
I’ve been rocking a Game Winner from Academy the past few years. Thinking about upgrading to a slightly better pack this year though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
I don't have a photo of me packing with these, but I've packed elk and deer on:

Unknown model bright yellow Kelty (purchased in a pawn shop for $25)
Camp Trails
Cabelas Alaska Freighter
Rocky Mountain Pack Systems Rhino (actually a sweet pack that carries loads really well)

The Kelty was uncomfortable. The shoulder straps were too soft. I changed them out, and it carried well. The others carried weight just fine. They are all big frames, though, and not sneaky.

The RMS Rhino is a takedown frame that I leave in the truck. It packs big loads great and is too handy to not have. Folded up it is the size of a loaf of bread and weighs 3 pounds.

Jeremy

SoDaky

WKR
Hauled lotsa quarters lotsa miles with the old 'moose freighter frame'.Sure a lot easier with good packs though.

pdxflung

FNG
View attachment 181581Helping my buddy pack out his bull out 6 miles with our Eberlestock Dragonfly packs. I have had this pack for 7 years. I am upgrading my pack this year, but this pack has done everything I’ve needed it to. I have been very happy with it. It will continue to work for my son when he gets older too!

+1

Still have mine and still use it for overnight hunts, use f1 mainframe w/spike duffle for elk day unts

EastMT

WKR
If Erblestock would just add positive angles to their load lifters, their packs wouldn’t be that bad.

Yes I can’t believe no one from their R&D has never read a review online. Extended that frame about 4” up, make the lifters work, it would be a great entry
Level budget pack for people not wanting to spend a ton. I mean they are sturdy, now just make them comfortable with weight.

prm

WKR
I really liked my Eberlestock j104. But it did not haul very heavy loads as well. The design, in terms of organization, was quite good and was well built. There are definitely worse packs.

S.Clancy

WKR
With all the fanboy backpack posts lately, can we come back to earth a little bit with photos with people packing animals out on “subpar” backpacks? I’ll start.

3 mile pack out with an Arcteryx Bora 65 (definitely not subpar for the backpacking world).

Let’s see them Jansports.
bb86e040d573791a9ec4c24c1c0a056d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Bora IS NOT a subpar pack. That pack is awesome. I still have a Bora 80 and if I had to haul something really heavy would choose it over the Exo every time. The load shelf is the only thing that separates the Exo

S.Clancy

WKR
I don't have a picture, but I had an entire mule deer buck in Black Diamond Speed 30 one time. I literally had quarters tied to the outside. So awful.

BluMtn

WKR
As a young man when it came to packing out game we would quarter an Elk and tie a 1/4" nylon rope around the quarter and sling it over our shoulder and pack it out to the rig. It could be anywhere from 1.5 mile to 5 miles out. It would leave bruises on your shoulders by the time you were done packing out. One time my son and I put two quarters on a pole and packed out, we found out that is harder on your shoulders than the rope. I did that for the first 30 or so years of hunting. For the last 20 I have been using various backboards and now packs. Life is good.

bsnedeker

WKR
20181112_144904.jpg

This is my buddy hauling half of his first elk (cow) out with his Badlands 3500 or whatever. He had two front shoulders in the bag and the neck and backstraps in the meat bag he was dragging behind him. I had both rear quarters in my Kifaru.

He now has a Kifaru!

JohnB

WKR
I don't have a picture, but I had an entire mule deer buck in Black Diamond Speed 30 one time. I literally had quarters tied to the outside. So awful.
Good God. I think even a fawn would over power one of those packs.