Going from Kifaru to Seek Outside

woods89

WKR
I'm going to try to keep this as brief as possible, lol.

I've used a Kifaru frame for about 7 years now. Currently have a DT1 and Highcamp 4800 bags. I also have a Mystery Ranch Scapegoat 25 for day use when I'm not packing meat. My Kifaru has been solid, and feels great under a big load.

The downside, however, is weight. I've been watching some of @sndmn11 , @mtwarden posts among others about their success with Seek Outside packs. I have almost always carried meat in the bag. With some general weight calculations, I could drop as much as 3-4 lbs by going to an integrated Seek system. Normally I'm not a complete weight weenie, but that is a significant jump. I also could see 1 pack working quite well for almost all my use at that weight. Summer backpacking with a 7-8 lb pack is not ideal.

So I would like to hear comments from those who have used both. I do know that I will need to find a way to spend some time under a Seek Outside frame to really know, as it seems like most people that try them like them, but certainly not all.

Some details on my use.

-I'm 5' 8'', 165 lbs. I have standard stays in my Kifaru (26'') and really like the big lumbar pad.

-Every other year I do a mid November elk hunt in CO. We stay at a cabin and day hunt. Generally get up really early, and gain a bunch of elevation to a glassing spot. If we see something it may mean dropping elevation again mid morning, driving around to a different access point, and hiking in again. Generally carrying water, 1 days food, kill kit, insulation layers, stove, optics and tripod, weapon, etc. We would generally pack bone in quarters out.

-Here at home I do some backpack hunting as well for deer and turkeys. For deer sometimes I'm packing a tree saddle and stick along with camp gear. Generally not doing more than 1, maybe 2 nights. I also do day hunts with a fair bit of hiking for both species, and wind up packing meat on those as well. Deer sometimes get completely boned out and sometimes I pack whole quarters.

-I also do some off season backpacking, again, nothing with long duration.

-I like a fairly minimalistic bag and don't mind using some internal organization.

-Being waterproof would be nice, but not necessary.

-I love Kifaru's Gunbearer system, but it looks like it would swap over pretty easily.

-I'm not as a rule going to pack more than 90-100 lbs. Maybe on the rare occasion, but I don't need to get hurt, especially in a solo situation.

-Another alternative I have considered is having a custom bag made from one of the new fabrics for my current frame, but my current frame is over 3 lbs without a bag, I believe.

I'd be glad for any input you all may have. Thanks!

I've had both and now just a seek 6300 fortress. I haven't tried thier new line. I like mine a lot. You can definitely drop a few pounds, not sure about 4. They fit and ride very different. Both great packs. My gunbearer from my Kifura works in my SO. The bottom perfectly, the top peice I added a little peice of hardware to make it work. Good luck!

I have no experience with Kifaru frames, but like you a few years back I got the weight reduction bug wanting to drop a couple pounds off my SG and the SO looked to be the way to do it.

Don't get me wrong - the construction of the SO packs was great... but that frame only comfortably carried weight to about 35lbs, beyond that it slipped and was highly uncomfortable no matter how I adjusted it. I get the fact that carrying an animal out isn't going to be "comfortable" regardless of frame, but 60-70lbs with the SG just disappears, the SO pack was downright miserable.

While you wait on further replies, my advice is to make sure when you get their frame in your hand you load it down before committing. It seems to work great for some folks, I'm just not one of them.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
I've had both and now just a seek 6300 fortress. I haven't tried thier new line. I like mine a lot. You can definitely drop a few pounds, not sure about 4. They fit and ride very different. Both great packs. My gunbearer from my Kifura works in my SO. The bottom perfectly, the top peice I added a little peice of hardware to make it work. Good luck!
Thanks!
I believe my DT1 is well over 8 lbs, all kitted up. Might not save quite 4 lbs, but it's not far off, with some of their new integrated designs.

I have used both, carried several heavy loads with both… of course pack fit will always be an individual thing, I liked Everything about My seek outside peregrine until I got in that 80# range, and over 100# it was rough… many have the opposite experience as me, so that shouldn’t sway you either way

I have never had trouble fitting a pack to myself, but I still wonder if part of my problem was user error just because there is vast adjustments in the seek outside frame, and I’m tempted to buy an integrated version to try again… I want their packs to be my favorite pack, they are awesome packs, and a lot to like about them

I would certainly order one if I were you, if the frame works well for you (like it does for most) it will be a perfect pack for you… the layout and design of my peregrine was my favorite of any pack I’ve owned, seek outside builds a great pack, or anything they build for that matter

Depending on the route you go, get at least one talon, maybe 2, they are extremely handy and useful, even for Internal storage

Rokwiia

WKR
Can't speak to Kirafu but I have had both an SO integrated and breakway pack. The integrated is the Gila Ultra 400 with an X-21 6,300 bag that can be swapped in and out. The breakway was a 6,300 in X-42 which is still a very light backpack but the Ultra 400 and X-21 weigh even less.

I did it for the same reason as you. I wanted a very light pack that I could use year round. I have hiking friends who backpack with me and their Ospreys weigh much more than either of my packs and the 6,300s carry over twice the volume they can haul in their packs.

Both are more comfortable than any other pack I've owned and that includes a McHale.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't loaded up my SO Divide beyond 40 lbs yet. What I can say is that is was very comfortable with 40-ish lbs. This was on an eight day trip with lots of miles off trail, many of those miles scrambling on a wide variety of talus.

While an external framed pack isn't the perfect pack for scrambling, the Divide did pretty damned good.

I'm going to be starting into my preseason rucking soon, so should have a better idea on how it does with more weight. As I only go up to 60 lbs on my ruck training, will probably be this fall (with some luck of course !) before I can say how it handles 80-ish lbs.

kWbErBt.jpg

Its all about body type and fit.
I was maybe due for some replacement foam in my duplex lite but last year on a pack out I had an excruciating hot spot that felt like the stay was digging straight in my back.

Tested an X curve and it packed 120 with ease. But the 5900 was strappy and I didn't like the hip belt adjustment.

Seek sticks like glue with 120 by far the most comfortable for me, but I hate all there bag layouts. Even with the custom builder I still didn't end up with a bag I love.

Exo k3 with stiff foam is about on par with the duplex like. I absolutely love the 4800 layout and think it has the best features.

All that being said if a kifaru works for ya how old is your frame could you upgrade to a duplex lite and a simple bag and shed some weight.
Don't put pockets all over the dang thing.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
All that being said if a kifaru works for ya how old is your frame could you upgrade to a duplex lite and a simple bag and shed some weight.
Don't put pockets all over the dang thing.
My frame was discontinued in 2015 and I bought it out of the Rhino Den, so it's definitely a little older.

The pockets thing is real! That stuff adds up fast.

That frame, a Highcamp 4800, organizer lid, 1 belt pouch, and the FHF blaze panel looks to run about 6.5 lbs. (Bathroom scale, not exact) That's about as stripped down as I want to go. And I can tell you from experience that packing bone in elk quarters in that bag gets tough with any amount of gear.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
I haven't loaded up my SO Divide beyond 40 lbs yet. What I can say is that is was very comfortable with 40-ish lbs. This was on an eight day trip with lots of miles off trail, many of those miles scrambling on a wide variety of talus.

While an external framed pack isn't the perfect pack for scrambling, the Divide did pretty damned good.

I'm going to be starting into my preseason rucking soon, so should have a better idea on how it does with more weight. As I only go up to 60 lbs on my ruck training, will probably be this fall (with some luck of course !) before I can say how it handles 80-ish lbs.

kWbErBt.jpg
I have no doubt you will separate the wheat from the chaff. Let us know how it goes!

I'm your typical dad bod build if that helps anyone with fitment lol.

What about a kifaru cut throat. That in an integral frame rite?
Idk what the size or weight is tho

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
I'm your typical dad bod build if that helps anyone with fitment lol.

What about a kifaru cut throat. That in an integral frame rite?
Idk what the size or weight is tho
I looked at the Kutthroat. It's heavier and smaller than the SO Unaweep 6300, which is probably about what I'd be looking for. I personally like the Seek Outside bag design better as well.

Mtnman84

Lil-Rokslider
I have used stone glacier x curve with the sky archer 6200 bay while not exactly heavy for me well and was a nice setup, I then tried the unaweep 6300 integrated pack. I wasn’t sure about it at first, once I got the frame adjusted correctly and figured out the belt configuration I preferred it’s my favorite pack. I’ve ditched the lid to shave a few ounces and don’t need to worry about a rain cover. I don’t think you will be disappointed. I tried my buddies kifaru with weight and it was damn comfortable, but the starting weight is a non starter. If there was weather on the forecast add a rain cover also. The seek does everything I need I like simple bags with one or two pockets. Good luck on your choice

slatty

WKR
I had a kifaru duplex + mtn warrior for about 5 years and switched to a SO 2 years ago. I have hauled out a few animals in it now, about 90lbs max. I'm 150lbs myself so 100lbs is my limit (and I try to avoid that if I can).
I have the brooks 7400 which is a monster but can strap down really small. I dayhunt with it and just finished a 12 day packraft sheep hunt with the same bag (I bought the bag for the sheep trip mostly). I've been very happy. It was a bit of adjustment as the SO really does have so many different ways to strap it down / together. I find their talon system with a load shelf on the bottom a really nice way to carry a rifle. I've carried meat inside and outside the pack.
My only complaint is the brooks bag is just too big. I'm looking to buy a second bag and going back and forth on their new ones. I don't have experience with the material and hoping the new material isn't too loud.
Overall it's been really great and happy with my bag. I too switched to shed 3-4 lbs off my pack. I don't need a pack that can carry my body weight, and even if I did, i'm pretty sure my SO pack would do it.

Based on your typical hunt go as light as you can. I don’t see any 7-10 day type hunts or massive mileage for packing out an animal.

Yes, you just need the universal gun bearer.

n8tivenv

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had a seek outside revolution frame with an early peregrine bag, extremely comfortable up to 50ish pounds. Above that the bottom of the aluminum wrap around frame put enormous pressure on my hips and was enough to get rid of it after one hunt packing out meat. Switched to a duplex and have stayed with it ever since.