Sh!tty Packs

HankNM

Lil-Rokslider
Love this!
Used many frame & ruck packs over many years. Heaviest was 65lb trip over Taboose pass,when I was young & dumb. That was a Kelty.
Seems to me any time I overloaded a pack it was a pain. Any pack. lol
I recently sold a MR Crewcab that I thought was a pain underload & caught on every branch. Fine hunting or scouting.
I'll go back to my J-104 for a while. Just don't overload it and don't go too far.LOL
I actually like the way it rides my long torso, but not with a bone in quarter.
Still have an Alaska Freighter too....lol.

OP
Peaks&Creeks
Interesting trends I’m seeing here. Looks like many started off with Eberlestock packs. I originally came from backpacking as I grew up doing it with my dad, and as I got older I ventured off on my own and even worked in a backpacking/mountaineering shop end of high school, so I was already in tune with what a good backpack should have. I always found it funny when my non-backpacker friends who were really into the Call of Duty tacticool stuff would buy Eberlestock packs that were massive and heavy, and then came without load lifters. After their first foray into the mountains many of those packs ended up on Craigslist and they came to my shop to get fitted properly. But those are good learning experiences and tune you into what a proper pack should absolutely have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elkhntr08

WKR
Funny, I started with a J107. Next was a Jansen Hunt Hard Core, then a EXO K2. Sold the EXO and now running the Eberlestock F1Tall. Very happy that I can tune the pack to the hunt and don’t have to carry extra weight. Being it’s Tall, the load lifters work perfectly.
The only pack I’ve ever sold was the EXO. Have 5 hanging in my room right now.

Jimbob

WKR
Funny, I started with a J107. Next was a Jansen Hunt Hard Core, then a EXO K2. Sold the EXO and now running the Eberlestock F1Tall. Very happy that I can tune the pack to the hunt and don’t have to carry extra weight. Being it’s Tall, the load lifters work perfectly.
The only pack I’ve ever sold was the EXO. Have 5 hanging in my room right now.

That F1 tall looks like it would work just great.

Badlands 2200 has packed out tons of elk, and other game. I may have found a flaw in the new one, will write Badlands to inquire.

Bighorn sheep, elk, mountain goat, elk in the photos below.

Attachments

• bh.JPG
    bh.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 250
  • elk.JPG
    elk.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 252
  • mg.JPG
    mg.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 247
  • eek.JPG
    eek.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 245

sram9102

WKR
Stuff/strapped a 190ish pound whitetail buck into a 40L Goruck backpack a mile and a quarter from the road. Hunting a stand for a particular wind and it was too muddy to drive much off the road. I bought a actual pack a few days after that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

MattTx

FNG
I have a blacktail hunt scheduled for september and have an osprey pack. Do y'all think that will be sufficient for hauling out a deer or do I need to just bite the bullet and get a hunting pack?

brsnow

WKR
Friend uses his backcountry ski pack, straps quarters to where the skis would go. They swing a bit, but works.

EastMT

WKR
I have a blacktail hunt scheduled for september and have an osprey pack. Do y'all think that will be sufficient for hauling out a deer or do I need to just bite the bullet and get a hunting pack?

If you have the money to blow, buy a better pack. If you only use it 5-7 days a year and don’t want to blow the money, you’ll be fine. Won’t be as comfy as a high end one, but as you read above, about any pack will do if you want what you are after bad enough .

KurtR

WKR
Front quarters and back straps in an eberlestock x1a1. 2 miles and was never so happy to see my pick up. Not as happy as my buddy who carried the two rear quarters in game sacks tied together over his shoulder. Now have a kifaru.

Attachments

• 7693DA51-CC2C-44D5-BF71-B734BB1BF893.jpeg
    7693DA51-CC2C-44D5-BF71-B734BB1BF893.jpeg
    18.7 KB · Views: 144
You are a Ssstuddd! You earned that one brother!
Strong work!

That’s not me lol. Wish it was. I just like to share that video when the topic comes up. Bryce also did an excellent job filming the hunt and has some other good videos.

wildcat33

WKR
With all the fanboy backpack posts lately, can we come back to earth a little bit with photos with people packing animals out on “subpar” backpacks? I’ll start.

3 mile pack out with an Arcteryx Bora 65 (definitely not subpar for the backpacking world).

Let’s see them Jansports.
bb86e040d573791a9ec4c24c1c0a056d.jpg

Bora is one of the best packs of all time in the mtn world! Hardly sub-par.

My bora 95 has seen everything. Starting to fall apart after 15 years of use, not in love with the hunting specific options.

OP
Peaks&Creeks
Bora is one of the best packs of all time in the mtn world! Hardly sub-par.

My bora 95 has seen everything. Starting to fall apart after 15 years of use, not in love with the hunting specific options.

Yup, Bora is a great backpacking bag, sucks hauling anything over 50 pounds in it though.