Savage 110 Ultra Light (proof barrel) Reviews?

Found a few reviews on this site but not too many. Anyone have updated reviews? Looking to run my harvester suppressor and use it as a hunting rifle out to 500 yards. Would likely buy the 30-06 chambering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wjarrell

Lil-Rokslider
I have one in a 308. The idea of a lite rifle was great but I quickly learned that I couldn’t hold one steady enough, for me. I was still shooting sub moa with 155 vlds. Soon after I put a x-caliber pepper pot break and a Bell and Carlson M40 stock that I bedded myself. The little extra weight helped me a lot in my steady ness. I just got back from the range and I shot about 3.5” group at 550 yards.

OP
T
Thanks all. I currently have a Christensen arms Ridgeline that I run my suppressor on and can’t seem to get it to shoot near or under 1” at 100 yards so I’m looking for a new rifle to put my suppressor on.

Anyone run a can on the savage ultra light?

wjarrell

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all. I currently have a Christensen arms Ridgeline that I run my suppressor on and can’t seem to get it to shoot near or under 1” at 100 yards so I’m looking for a new rifle to put my suppressor on.

Anyone run a can on the savage ultra light?

Your Ridgeline should shoot handloads .75-.5 moa without a suppressor

OP
T
Your Ridgeline should shoot handloads .75-.5 moa without a suppressor

It was actually around 2MOA with careful prone shooting without the suppressor. The suppressor tightened up the groups a bit. Considering sending it back to CA but they are 4-8 weeks out and hunting season it about 6 weeks away

It was actually around 2MOA with careful prone shooting without the suppressor. The suppressor tightened up the groups a bit. Considering sending it back to CA but they are 4-8 weeks out and hunting season it about 6 weeks away

Have you tried other types of ammo? You should easily be able to do 1 MOA (worst case) shooting prone without the suppressor.

OP
T
Have you tried other types of ammo? You should easily be able to do 1 MOA (worst case) shooting prone without the suppressor.

What I’ve tried through the gun over the last few months:

Federal gold metal match
Hornady precision hunter (2 boxes)
Hornady SST 150 (2 boxes)
Hornady SST 165
Federal cheap blue box 180
Rem core lock 150
Federal fusion 165
Nosler BT 165 (2 boxes)
Barnes Vor-TS 150
Hornady whitetail 150 (2 boxes)
Hornady whitetail 165

The ones it like the most was the Hornady 150 SST and Nosler BT 165. Average grouping was 1.25-1.75. Without the suppressor, all groups were larger

At first I thought it was me being a crappy shot but the last 6 or 7 times I’ve gone out to shoot groups I’ve taken my browning x bolt 270 and can hold around 3/4” without issues

I usually shot groups of 3 and then let the barrel and the can cool down. I take my time and usually only shoot 15 ish rounds during the range trip (usually 1.5 hours long) to make sure I’m fresh and conditions are good so I don’t skew my groups

ericwh

WKR
I handled the Savage with Proof barrel last week. It seemed nice enough and I like the interchangeable cheek welds on the stock but I didn't like the grip and I was not impressed with the action. Very rough. Very easy to bind.

It did not feel any lighter than my tikka t3x lite.

My rankings of factory actions I've handled:
1. Tikka
2. Bergara B14 HMR
3. Ruger American - yes really. It's not that bad.
4. Fierce something or other
5. Remington 700
6. Savage

If it was me I would consider a Ruger American Predator and change the stock. Or something from Tikka or Bergara.

I handled the Savage with Proof barrel last week. It seemed nice enough and I like the interchangeable cheek welds on the stock but I didn't like the grip and I was not impressed with the action. Very rough. Very easy to bind.

It did not feel any lighter than my tikka t3x lite.

My rankings of factory actions I've handled:
1. Tikka
2. Bergara B14 HMR
3. Ruger American - yes really. It's not that bad.
4. Fierce something or other
5. Remington 700
6. Savage

If it was me I would consider a Ruger American Predator and change the stock. Or something from Tikka or Bergara.
While I do wish working the bolt was smoother (especially for the price), it's "roughness" should not be a functional issue. It is the same setup on my older Lightweight Hunter. I've never had an issue taking a shot.

wyosam

WKR
What I’ve tried through the gun over the last few months:

Federal gold metal match
Hornady precision hunter (2 boxes)
Hornady SST 150 (2 boxes)
Hornady SST 165
Federal cheap blue box 180
Rem core lock 150
Federal fusion 165
Nosler BT 165 (2 boxes)
Barnes Vor-TS 150
Hornady whitetail 150 (2 boxes)
Hornady whitetail 165

The ones it like the most was the Hornady 150 SST and Nosler BT 165. Average grouping was 1.25-1.75. Without the suppressor, all groups were larger

At first I thought it was me being a crappy shot but the last 6 or 7 times I’ve gone out to shoot groups I’ve taken my browning x bolt 270 and can hold around 3/4” without issues

I usually shot groups of 3 and then let the barrel and the can cool down. I take my time and usually only shoot 15 ish rounds during the range trip (usually 1.5 hours long) to make sure I’m fresh and conditions are good so I don’t skew my groups

I assume during all that you’ve checked optic mounting/reliability, action screws etc? I’d be irate if I spent that much on a rifle that wouldn’t shoot MOA with at least a couple of the types of ammo you’ve tried. These days, chances are pretty good that the $400 rifle off the rack at the big box store will do it, and if a premium won’t, then it isn’t that premium.

OP
T
I assume during all that you’ve checked optic mounting/reliability, action screws etc? I’d be irate if I spent that much on a rifle that wouldn’t shoot MOA with at least a couple of the types of ammo you’ve tried. These days, chances are pretty good that the $400 rifle off the rack at the big box store will do it, and if a premium won’t, then it isn’t that premium.

Yeah I have a zeiss V4 mounted with Warne one piece base and their mountain tech rings. Installed by me per Warner’s and zeiss’s specs. I’ve reinstalled it several times to verify it wasn’t the optic.

shmtastic

FNG
Clean up the bedding on your Ridgeline, make sure it's centered in the barrel channel. Check the torque of your action screws. My classic went tango uniform a few range trips ago. The action screws had loosened. In all my rifles over the years this was a first for me. They were very loose. Torqued to 55 front and rear and it tightened right back up.

madcalfe

WKR
yea something is up with your ridgeline ive handed nosler accubonds, hornady eldx in grains from 178, 180,190, and 200 in my .300wsm and im all under 1 moa with every load. id get it bedded and check the stock for any cracks.

541hunter

WKR
Shot the 6.5 creed I put together for my son today. Goal today was barrel break in. Avg group at 100 was around 3/4”. Shot a group of 3 at 200 and the holes were touching. Ammo was cheap Hornady 129 grain interlock. This gun will definitely shoot better than I can. Overall I like the rifle. Stock feels flimsy but works fine so far. Action does leave some to be desired. It is a bit rough and the bolt lift can be stiff. Will update at my 9 year old starts to shoot it.