RokStok

kad11

WKR
UM confirmed on a post here that the stock itself has the correct nominal spec for the lug.

I should be getting a new RokStok tomorrow if Fedex isn't lying. I will pull the lug and compare it to the mountain tactical that came with my first RokStok. I also have a couple factory lugs sitting around to compare.

They could have had a batch of recoil lugs that were a touch tall and won't let the action fully seat into the stock. Not sure if all the recoil lugs are made in house at UM now or if they are using a combo of Mountain Tactical and UM lugs?

I measured these, and there is nearly ZERO spec discrepancy between this factory Tikka recoil lug and the Mountain Tactical lug that came with my first RokStok.

View attachment 747406
View attachment 747407
View attachment 747408

I will measure the recoil lug on the new RokStok and compare whenever it shows up from FedEx. Unless someone else having the issue can get to it first.
I'm going to try to pull my rokstock lug tonight.

My rokstock lug is protruding ~0.14", factory Tikka lug ~0.06", Tikka action lug recess is ~0.09" deep. Rokstock lug width is 0.001" narrower than action so should be good there.

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
My lug was a tight fit so I made sure it lined up up and started the screws slowly back and forth between the two and it clunked into place. Not saying that is the way.. just saying that is how it went down if that helps anyone.

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
My lug was a tight fit so I made sure it lined up up and started the screws slowly back and forth between the two and it clunked into place. Not saying that is the way.. just saying that is how it went down if that helps anyone.
just thinking about this, I bet a feller could find some long cheap bolts/screws at the hardware store (maybe 4"?), cut the heads off, and thread them into the action finger tight prior to setting in stock, then you'd have a couple handles to wiggle/align and simultaneously pull the action down on to the lug with for those that are a super tight match to the receiver groove (ultimately a good thing) and need to be perfectly aligned to drop on.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
just thinking about this, I bet a feller could find some long cheap bolts/screws at the hardware store (maybe 4"?), cut the heads off, and thread them into the action finger tight prior to setting in stock, then you'd have a couple handles to wiggle/align and simultaneously pull the action down on to the lug with for those that are a super tight match to the receiver groove (ultimately a good thing) and need to be perfectly aligned to drop on.
Seems needlessly complex vs just using the provided action screws and making sure its centered over the recoil lug. But if you are inclined they're M6 size, you wouldn't need to cut anything either, just insert from the bottom and screw into the action.

kickemall

WKR
I don’t know if this will help anyone but I put a very good shooting Tikka 6.5 creed in a Rokstok, which took a bit but seated fine, and it shot like crap. After reading about lug issues here I pulled the stock, pulled the MT lug and compared them. The MT lug was visibly taller when compared on a level surface. I put the factory lug in the Rokstok, tightened it up and the gun was back to shooting lights out.
I sent an email to UM just letting them know what I did and promptly got a reply thanking me for letting them know.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I don’t know if this will help anyone but I put a very good shooting Tikka 6.5 creed in a Rokstok, which took a bit but seated fine, and it shot like crap. After reading about lug issues here I pulled the stock, pulled the MT lug and compared them. The MT lug was visibly taller when compared on a level surface. I put the factory lug in the Rokstok, tightened it up and the gun was back to shooting lights out.
I sent an email to UM just letting them know what I did and promptly got a reply thanking me for letting them know.
Multiple folks have mentioned NOT being able to remove their lugs on RokStoks, I did not have this issue wiht my MT Tactical lug in my RokStok. Mine pulled out with a few hard taps on the back of the stock and then needle nose pliars.

What was your tactic for removing the recoil lug?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Mountain tactile had some sabotage issues by employees at one point, wonder if the height of the lugs got screwed up on a batch that went out the door and it was subtle enough no one noticed?

Stockys

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I am going to check the lug heights from the last two batches we received from mountain tactical in the morning. I will update you guys in the morning. We use the same lug to check every stock so if there’s been a variation in the lugs we’ve received the last few months we’ll be able to confirm quickly if that’s what’s causing these issues.

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
Seems needlessly complex vs just using the provided action screws and making sure its centered over the recoil lug. But if you are inclined they're M6 size, you wouldn't need to cut anything either, just insert from the bottom and screw into the action.
Yeah copy that, good point on not cutting the heads off. I've personally never had an issue getting the lug seated. Just speculating another way to help wiggle it on there for those struggling due to potentially 0.001" slop

Stockys

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
What’s the height of the mountain tactical you have?

TX_Diver

WKR
I got extremely sick last night so my troubleshooting is on hold for a day or two. Will keep following along and update whenever I do figure it out.

Just didn't want to post and run on it. Whatever the cause turns out to be, Stockys and UM have handled this 100x better than my experience with MT and a .223 mag.

kad11

WKR
Multiple folks have mentioned NOT being able to remove their lugs on RokStoks, I did not have this issue wiht my MT Tactical lug in my RokStok. Mine pulled out with a few hard taps on the back of the stock and then needle nose pliars.

What was your tactic for removing the recoil lug?
I've tried using vice grips, plus soaking the stock in the freezer to maybe shrink the lug a hair, and haven't been able to get it to budge.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I've tried using vice grips, plus soaking the stock in the freezer to maybe shrink the lug a hair, and haven't been able to get it to budge.
Take the plastic end of a small screwdriver and use it as a punch. Tap the lug several times front to back and back to front (from both sides). Also tap hard on the back of the stock several times with a rubber or plastic hammer. If you can’t pull it out with vice grips or channel locks after that something is keeping it in. Try some heat instead of freezing? That’s crazy that it won’t come out!

Swamper

FNG
I was able to pull MT lug of my RokStok with channel locks and a rag. First time out it was tough though.

MT lug that came with the RokStok: .6395
Factory lug from that rifle: .6300
Factory lug is looser in the RokStok but by no means sloppy or even close to falling out.