RokStok

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
So…uh…school me…why do I want a negative comb? No idea what it does for me other than I am scared of new concepts and fascinated by shiny new rokslide gadgets.

also, I have a giant head and am built like a gorilla. Think shrek, but slightly less green. Will I be able to use a negative comb? Should I buy a left handed version and learn to shoot it inverted?

sorry. I am a bit lost.

A negative comb as presented here, moves the recoil pad inline with the bore which greatly helps mitigate muzzle rise. When the rifle recoils backwards, the negative comb part (the slop) allows your face to slide away from the cheekpiece- it’s opposite of most conventional combs which cause the comb to slam into your face during recoil.

Macintosh

WKR
So…uh…school me…why do I want a negative comb? No idea what it does for me other than I am scared of new concepts and fascinated by shiny new rokslide gadgets.

also, I have a giant head and am built like a gorilla. Think shrek, but slightly less green. Will I be able to use a negative comb? Should I buy a left handed version and learn to shoot it inverted?

sorry. I am a bit lost.
recoil pushes a stock rearward. The pivot point is in the middle of your shoulder, which is slightly below the line of the bore on 99.9% of stocks--so this casues the muzzle to rise since it is pivoting around your shoulder. The comb of the stock acts like a wedge between your face and the gun--rearward recoil only affects your shoulder, but if the muzzle rises at all even with a perfectly flat comb that wedge increases pressure on your face throught the recoil movement. A negative comb "flattens" the wedge effect by lessening pressure on your face as it moves backwards, allowing better comfort but also better ability to maintain field of view and spot hits. The butt is high in order to lessen or eliminate th epivot, so you get less muzzle rise. So in theory a stock with the bore directly in line with your shoulder will have zero muzzle rise, and the negative comb will mean much less/zero face slap.

Aaaand, someone beat me to it!

FYG

FNG
That is a rendition and it looks more extreme than it is. It is higher than any other common available stock on the market, however, it will be set to where a good cheekweld is achieved with a low mounted scope.
Anxiously waiting to see the final product.

Have you or Ryan had a chance to shoot any prototypes of it yet?

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Like with the 6UM... we didn't get to this point by accident. We really need to thank Jessica from @Stockys it can't be easy listening to the three of us arguing on the phone about 25 thousandths of an inch. HAHA.

Last edited:

Fowl Play

WKR
Really liking this, and following the design of this stock has me learning allot. I’m sure you guys are all over this, but as long as I can find a natural cheek weld somewhere along that comb even with a 40ish objective scope on extra low rings, I’ll be happy. And if not maybe just let me know what to expect and why it’s better. :)

Edit: or thinking about this more, maybe higher rings are required to allow the recoil pad to get high enough to be in line with the bore? @Formidilosus?

IMG_9367.jpeg

Last edited:

TheCougar

WKR
Like with the 6UM... we didn't get to this point by accident. We really need to thank Jessica from @Stockys it can't be easy listening to the three of us arguing on the phone about 25 thousandths of an inch. HAHA.

Form: “the comb should drop 9.025 inches”
Ryan: “Pssssh. WTF. 9.050 inches of comb drop, or we walk!”
Jessica: “I picked wrong day to stop sniffing glue”.

A negative comb as presented here, moves the recoil pad inline with the bore which greatly helps mitigate muzzle rise. When the rifle recoils backwards, the negative comb part (the slop) allows your face to slide away from the cheekpiece- it’s opposite of most conventional combs which cause the comb to slam into your face during recoil.
Thanks. Familiar with the concept of the bore being in line with the stock. Have been shooting AR platforms since my Uncle Sam used to make me wear combat boots and threw me out the back of the Wright brothers plane during the Valley Forge campaign. It def helps with recoil impulse and muzzle rise.

It does beg the question as others have mentioned about raising the optic to eyeline with higher rings. I have fiddled with a blazer and an anshutz rig set with negative comb in the past havent shot them. As I recall, both had some high rings.

I can’t wait to see this thing in its final form And hear how it shoots. In the meantime I am gonna buy up all the ultra high UM tikka rings and resell them on the forum for an obscene mark up.

I’m stoked for this and happy to see an extreme negative comb. Any comb that sits below that bore line means cheek riser for me.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I can’t wait to see this thing in its final form And hear how it shoots. In the meantime I am gonna buy up all the ultra high UM tikka rings and resell them on the forum for an obscene mark up.

Haha.

With this, though maybe a poor analogy, think a sporter stock version of a Biathlon rifle.