Rokslide style shooting match/challenge 7/20/24

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
One of the recent threads and a local connection inspired @justinspicher and myself to put together a RS style match. Short notice, but wanted to extend the invite. "Mountain Rifle Challenge" I think would embody what we are shooting for.

Event will be on 7/20 in Dolores, CO.

The general area is worth a summer camping trip. 45 min to Durango, 1 hr to Telluride, 1.5 hrs to Moab, 6hrs to Denver/Salt Lake/ Phoenix. Host property is in the high desert at 6800ft, surrounding mountains are up to 14k ft.

13-15 stations some w a multiple targets, a least one requiring a reload.

Hit rate and times will determine score.

Ranges 50-650 yards. Approx 2.5 miles walking across moderate terrain. There might be one station you can shoot prone from, we've setup the course to simulate hunting scenarios that we have encountered, prone has not been an option in most of my experience.

Only allowed what you carry for hunting, no gaming gear. So far must haves are - pack, binos, rangefinder, plus or minus hiking sticks, if you chose to carry a tripod it must be what you pack in to hunt with, enough water for a full day, at least 50 rounds of ammo. Up for debate, do we require a minimum pack weight or items to be carried, ie must have kill kit/puffy jacket/rain gear/meal/ emergency kit/etc?

You would need to show up with a zeroed rifle as we won't have time to sort that out in the am.

Rifle is up to you as long as it is legit something you carry for hunting away from the truck. No power factor, but let's say .223 or larger. I hate muzzle brakes and will tell you how they are inferior and should be thrown in the trash, but they are allowed. As Justin is an AR guy, semi auto will be allowed.

Still sorting out how many rounds needed. At least 50. More if we (as a group) want to add flat range challenges. Up for discussion.

Site isn’t nearly as cool as the Montana sites Shoot2hunt has, but I don’t think the course will be a walk in the park.

I’ll provide burger/brat dinner. Room to camp around the property, or can direct you to nicer (paid) camping down by the river in Dolores.

We have 4-6 guys already, thinking we’ll host max 10 shooters.

@h2so4 has offered up $100 credit towards Black Hills ammo as a prize even though he can't join this time! TY!

Last edited:

huntnful

WKR
That's a badass gesture to the Rokslide group!! Can't wait to hear about how fun it was and the range reports!!

I'll be scouting for mule deer, but if you're open for donations for targets, food, drinks ect. I'd be happy to help a little!

lak2004

WKR
I might be in, I'm over in Bayfield. Let me see if the boss will give me the day off for it. Approximate start and end timing?

OP
B

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
That's a badass gesture to the Rokslide group!! Can't wait to hear about how fun it was and the range reports!!

I'll be scouting for mule deer, but if you're open for donations for targets, food, drinks ect. I'd be happy to help a little!
Thanks for the offer. Turns out scrap metal is cheap entertainment, my welding skills are near zero, but functional. I'm fortunate to have a little property to work with, with a little bit of elevation to make it interesting.

I'll prob ask for a small donation by shooters for evening meal, but as long as everyone is cool with elk meat- food expenses won't be much.

If it works out and we want to continue, the neighbors have a bad ass canyon I'd love to expand to.

OP
B

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I might be in, I'm over in Bayfield. Let me see if the boss will give me the day off for it. Approximate start and end timing?
Thinking it'll be a full day, took a little over 2 hrs to walk the course while picking out scenarios. Start time is up for debate, maybe arrive 0800 discuss safety (my biggest concern) /scoring/ working the course , get started by 0900?

Thanks for the offer. Turns out scrap metal is cheap entertainment, my welding skills are near zero, but functional. I'm fortunate to have a little property to work with, with a little bit of elevation to make it interesting.

I'll prob ask for a small donation by shooters for evening meal, but as long as everyone is cool with elk meat- food expenses won't be much.

If it works out and we want to continue, the neighbors have a bad ass canyon I'd love to expand to.
If they aren't, penalize their score and save meat for dinner. Lol

ID_Matt

WKR
I would LOVE to do something like this next year. Timed stages with steel targets at moderate to long hunting ranges. Use whatever gun and gear you plan to hunt with. No 10 lb game changer bags and no 6 lb tripods unless you can prove you pack them on a hunt. If you are one of the guys that has publicly bashed the 22/6/6.5 cals in the last year then you must shoot your 300 RUM or whatever you hunt with 😜

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I would LOVE to do something like this next year. Timed stages with steel targets at moderate to long hunting ranges. Use whatever gun and gear you plan to hunt with. No 10 lb game changer bags and no 6 lb tripods unless you can prove you pack them on a hunt. If you are one of the guys that has publicly bashed the 22/6/6.5 cals in the last year then you must shoot your 300 RUM or whatever you hunt with 😜
None of the vocal guys on this subject actually shoot often or will show up. No sense in calling them out honestly.

One of the recent threads and a local connection inspired @justinspicher and myself to put together a RS style match. Short notice, but wanted to extend the invite. "Mountain Rifle Challenge" I think would embody what we are shooting for.

Event will be on 7/20 in Dolores, CO.

The general area is worth a summer camping trip. 45 min to Durango, 1 hr to Telluride, 1.5 hrs to Moab, 6hrs to Denver/Salt Lake/ Phoenix. Host property is in the high desert at 6800ft, surrounding mountains are up to 14k ft.

13-15 stations some w a multiple targets, a least one requiring a reload.

Hit rate and times will determine score.

Ranges 50-650 yards. Approx 2.5 miles walking across moderate terrain. There might be one station you can shoot prone from, we've setup the course to simulate hunting scenarios that we have encountered, prone has not been an option in most of my experience.

Only allowed what you carry for hunting, no gaming gear. So far must haves are - pack, binos, rangefinder, plus or minus hiking sticks, if you chose to carry a tripod it must be what you pack in to hunt with, enough water for a full day, at least 50 rounds of ammo. Up for debate, do we require a minimum pack weight or items to be carried, ie must have kill kit/puffy jacket/rain gear/meal/ emergency kit/etc?

You would need to show up with a zeroed rifle as we won't have time to sort that out in the am.

Rifle is up to you as long as it is legit something you carry for hunting away from the truck. No power factor, but let's say .223 or larger. I hate muzzle brakes and will tell you how they are inferior and should be thrown in the trash, but they are allowed. As Justin is an AR guy, semi auto will be allowed.

Still sorting out how many rounds needed. At least 50. More if we (as a group) want to add flat range challenges. Up for discussion.

Site isn’t nearly as cool as the Montana sites Shoot2hunt has, but I don’t think the course will be a walk in the park.

I’ll provide burger/brat dinner. Room to camp around the property, or can direct you to nicer (paid) camping down by the river in Dolores.

We have 4-6 guys already, thinking we’ll host max 10 shooters.
Thanks for putting this on. With more notice I would have been able to come. Please keep us posted on more events in CO and in the future.

svivian

WKR
If my previous plans dont work out I would be down if there is still an open spot at that time.

Ill apologize in advance for the muzzle brake.... :ROFLMAO: