Rifle stock build progress thread

Macintosh

WKR
It looks fantastic. Eye of the beholder and all that…I strongly prefer the darker, more understated look. Thats a damn fine looking stock if you ask me. Is the finish done? I assume you’ll put a couple more top coats over it, as I’ve done it the top coats would usually be without any coloring, that usually brightens it up a little anyway.

OP
Decker9

Decker9

WKR
That looks great, any plans on checkering ?? I'm not as brave as you, I modify composite stocks for myself and friends, it's basically like auto body work .....if i mess up i can just fill back with epoxy and start over unlike wood ...
Thanks packer!

I’m not to sure yet, I think I will send it out for checkering once it’s finished though

OP
Decker9

Decker9

WKR
It looks fantastic. Eye of the beholder and all that…I strongly prefer the darker, more understated look. Thats a damn fine looking stock if you ask me. Is the finish done? I assume you’ll put a couple more top coats over it, as I’ve done it the top coats would usually be without any coloring, that usually brightens it up a little anyway.

Thanks a bunch :). Yeah that was just the first coat, I lathered it on and let it soak in then rubbed it off. Next I will sand it with 600 grit, then start wet sanding to fill the pores. I’m not sure how many coats it will take, this is my first time working with Danish oil. With tung oil, I think Iv done up to 8-10 coats before.

feanor

WKR
It looks great! I think Danish is awesome for all around, but it would be interesting to see the tung oil. But that’s going to add an extra 400 hours haha

Macintosh

WKR
In my experience the finish always looks noticeably darker and less contrasty before pores are filled and topcoats applied. I think it’s going to look really great.

OP
Decker9

Decker9

WKR
Damn dude … that is super sharp. I’m very impressed. Nice wood working skills. What barrel is on that

Thanks guys, it’s feeling all dry already, I should start filling pores tonight or in the morning.

That is an IBI carbon in the hunter lite contour. I dont have many rounds through it yet, but it’s shown good results in what I have shot through it.

OP
Decker9

Decker9

WKR
Comparing my home brew this morning, it’s taken on a very, very deep purple, a lot deeper then when I played with my test pieces a month ago. If I use it again in the future, I’ll know to dilute it and start small.

I sanded everything down to 400 grit, the 600 was gumming up a little. I lathered on the first coat pretty thick and some dried ontop the wood I think. This already is proving to be quite different than the Circa Tung oil Iv used.

I’m going to wet sand with straight Danish oil and start on the pores rubbing in by hand. I don’t think I want to add any more dark to it with the home brew.

352CA04D-DA02-4C8E-86BA-07D608249FCE.jpeg

OP
Decker9

Decker9

WKR
Hit the stock with some wet sand 600 grit wet/dry and straight Danish oil this morning. I’ll need to wet/dry it a time or two or more it looks like before the pores will be filled filled, I think. This second coat definitely brought out some look though.

415FDE70-F25B-421E-9B3B-0477FD0B0DDE.jpegCE86741F-086B-4488-BE03-C41F4E1DD1C6.jpegDC948866-7C1E-477C-B1ED-A627CA3C04E0.jpeg

A little peak with some, sniper grey iirc.

D7C1EB41-7E42-4702-B353-C428BAD42270.jpeg

Another lesson learnt. Working on a raw action would be so much easier. I did get a scratch or two during this build, but not too bad considering.

nobody

WKR
Wow, this is unreal. Love watching this unfold! Taking orders from “south of the border”??? 😉

OP
Decker9

Decker9

WKR
Wow, this is unreal. Love watching this unfold! Taking orders from “south of the border”??? 😉
Thanks man!

I would really like to get to that point some day!! In all honesty though, I can’t see anyone paying what I’d expect for my time to do a build, unless I can cut the time back Drastically.

dneaster3

FNG
this is really great work. I've done a few gunstocks as an amateur and have a deep appreciation for when this kind of thing is done well.

And that is one incredible piece of timber you have there. I love the color changes in multiple directions!

OP
Decker9

Decker9

WKR
Thanks man!!

I got a third coat on yesterday, wet sanded in. Most of the pores are looking filled in but I’ll go over it one more time with 600 wet/dry. I’m thinking I’ll ad another coat or two just rubbed in afterwards, but I’ll see after this next sanding in a few days.

I can’t say I’m really liking how this Danish oil applies, it feels more on the wood then in the wood then I like. But, it sure dries up fast. Within 6-10 hours it feels dry to the touch.

5E886046-0A62-49ED-89F6-327A514B58A3.jpegB4F70749-A7AD-4BDF-947A-04FA06781DAF.jpeg5FDA9B8F-C5D9-49E6-928A-2091BEC8562F.jpeg

CB1

FNG
Thanks man!!

I got a third coat on yesterday, wet sanded in. Most of the pores are looking filled in but I’ll go over it one more time with 600 wet/dry. I’m thinking I’ll ad another coat or two just rubbed in afterwards, but I’ll see after this next sanding in a few days.

I can’t say I’m really liking how this Danish oil applies, it feels more on the wood then in the wood then I like. But, it sure dries up fast. Within 6-10 hours it feels dry to the touch.

View attachment 524329View attachment 524327View attachment 524328
Looks amazing! Really enjoyed watching this come together.