Returned Elk Tags

cnelk

WKR
Now that Colorado has completed the 2024 drawing, there will plenty of tags returned - and not just elk.

I was talking with my buddy (who will be returning a tag) about ‘when’ to return a tag.

Of course it has to be at least 30 days before the season starts, but should a person wait to return it until AFTER the Secondary Draw? And make it on a Reissue List?

We all know the Secondary Draw if basically a Youth Draw but the Youth already get Preference in the Primary Draw.

Thoughts?

svivian

WKR
Now that Colorado has completed the 2024 drawing, there will plenty of tags returned - and not just elk.

I was talking with my buddy (who will be returning a tag) about ‘when’ to return a tag.

Of course it has to be at least 30 days before the season starts, but should a person wait to return it until AFTER the Secondary Draw? And make it on a Reissue List?

We all know the Secondary Draw if basically a Youth Draw but the Youth already get Preference in the Primary Draw.

Thoughts?
As a resident i would play the game

As a non resident if I used preference points i would return before the june 3rd deadline Edit: for the reason below 👇 from @Mighty Mouse

Last edited:
Turn it in now if he wants money refunded and points restored. Gotta choose points or money (can't get both) if you wait.

Agreed if it took points and want a refund get it returned if it doesn’t matter idk why you would”play the game” it’s near impossible to return a tag then tell a buddy they can pick it up on the reissue list lol why not return it now, get points and money back and give a youth the chance to get the tag? And youth doesn’t really get presence in primary either…. But honestly hunting is dieing, I would do everything I can to get a youth a chance if my unit I draw didn’t have so many leftovers every year I’d return my cow tag after the draw for the secondary draw to give youth a chance but we always have 100’s of leftovers anyways even after secondary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And that right there is total BS.
Giving people an option to opt out
I agree. I don't like the pain-free opt out period either, but the rules are what they are. CPW didn't ask my opinion when writing the regs. If I made the rules there would be no pain-free return provision, and the bar for getting any sort of refund or point restoration would be very high.

Youth get preference for some tags, not all. In general I think it is better to give the next generation more opportunities or we all will suffer down the line, particularly if Colorado continues in the blue direction

KsRancher

WKR
I would be turning it back to go into the secondary draw. Like mentioned above, youth only have preference in some of the hunt codes not all.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The Youth already had a chance to get the the tag
Only if it was a cow or doe tag, and even then only 15% of those tags are allotted for youth preference. But if a guy is turning a tag in, why would he care who gets it after him?

My youth daughter didn't draw her cow elk tag this year even with 15% youth preference tags available. And getting one in the secondary draw even as a youth isn't a lock either.

bz_711

WKR
I think the youth preference in the primary draw...is that youth draw first for each point category.
For example...if the final 2 tags roll down to the 3 preference point category that has 100 applicants...if there are 2 Youth in that 100...those 2 youth get the tags before any of the other 98 adults would get a chance.

I hope that makes sense.

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
I like the tag return/leftover system for its flexibility but would understand why would piss people off. I returned a deer tag last year because I drew a NM deer tag and couldn't do both.

Leftover list is usually my fallback to pick up a tag in my unit that was once otc without using my pp.

I was explaining leftover list to a buddy and he said "so it's basically the hunter's equivalent of Taylor swift tickets going on sale"...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
Leftover isn't much of a fall back anymore, now those tags are awarded to the fastest internet connection and luck of getting into the mysterious CPW system.
I've never had an issue for the units I hunt but I also haven't picked up a leftover tag since 21' so I guess I'll find out in Aug:)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I agree. I don't like the pain-free opt out period either, but the rules are what they are. CPW didn't ask my opinion when writing the regs. If I made the rules there would be no pain-free return provision, and the bar for getting any sort of refund or point restoration would be very high.

Funny thing is they actually did give you the option to Give your opinion. Just like the CPW Commission does with all the rule making in their meetings. They always allow public comment on all the issues. Just like they’ve been looking for public comment on big game season structure for 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yak

Lil-Rokslider
I'd turn the tag in now and get my $ back along with PP's. I don't think this option should be allowed considering it encourages folks to half-hearted apply for tags that they are not serious about going hunting. However, its the rule and might as well give someone a chance in the secondary draw.

To say that youth shouldn't have a preference in the secondary draw is a selfish response. Our youth deserve second chance to go hunting. Many of us wouldn't be the men we are today if hunting wasn't introduced to us at a young age. My kids were unsuccessful drawing a cow tag that was 100% last year and pronghorn doe tags that were 100% last year with their PP level. I think there is a perception that youth "get all the tags" by many of us that have been applying for years and don't get our number drawn. I share the frustration of not drawing the tags I expected to draw, but often the right decision is selfless (not easy).

Funny thing is they actually did give you the option to Give your opinion. Just like the CPW Commission does with all the rule making in their meetings. They always allow public comment on all the issues. Just like they’ve been looking for public comment on big game season structure for 6 months.
Good point. I should have rephrased my post...CPW did ask my opinion, they just didn't heed it. I fill out every survey they send and have submitted comments on multiple occasions. Their survey questions though are often along the lines of "Would you prefer A) a turd hot dog or B) a turd hamburger?".

I'd turn the tag in now and get my $ back along with PP's. I don't think this option should be allowed considering it encourages folks to half-hearted apply for tags that they are not serious about going hunting. However, its the rule and might as well give someone a chance in the secondary draw.

To say that youth shouldn't have a preference in the secondary draw is a selfish response. Our youth deserve second chance to go hunting. Many of us wouldn't be the men we are today if hunting wasn't introduced to us at a young age. My kids were unsuccessful drawing a cow tag that was 100% last year and pronghorn doe tags that were 100% last year with their PP level. I think there is a perception that youth "get all the tags" by many of us that have been applying for years and don't get our number drawn. I share the frustration of not drawing the tags I expected to draw, but often the right decision is selfless (not easy).
I like it, but it’s flawed. Would like to see a process where before the Secondary draw starts, people that didn’t get drawn in their target unit get a chance at those returned tags. Give them like a 3 day window to say they want to be in the drawing again.