Oklahoma Preference (Bonus) Points

Can't believe I missed this thread....Hmmm. As an Ok resident since 1994, I have put in religiously for the elk tag since then. I think I must have missed a few years as I now "only" have 28 pp. Crazily, I didn't realize that for elk, non residents could apply. I knew they could for deer. Personally I see no issues with us "old" guys getting a bit of a bump, when I see teenagers drawing with 0 pts. I wouldnt have complained when I was 26 and applying for the first time. I have just resigned myself to the fact that I will probably never draw, but if I am 83 and I do, you can damn well bet I'll be out there. I try and hunt somewhere in the west every year and have had plenty of chances at elk, but its just something about killing one in my state of residence. Guess I could start applying for a cow tag instead.....lol.

I am glad Non resident fees have gone up. Keep watching videos of out of state guys killing does ad nauseum. It will definitely weed out a lot of non residents using us as a backup. all the other states around us are doing it, so we should join the party. That said, resident fees actually went down. We now pay $36 total for all 6 tags.

Looked at my PP this am and I actually have 10 deer pp. Pretty much exclusively put in for McAlester AAP hunts and drew that hunt 5 out of 7 years at one point and now have gone 10 without.

FWIW, the fort sill hunt is available for any active duty military person if I recall correctly. Had I know that when I was in the Marines, I'd have flown back from Camp Lejeune to hunt....lol.
Did you draw this year? My Dad has been in the same boat as you, putting in since the 90's. He put a cow tag as one of his last choices and drew a cow tag this year. I'm kinda frustrated cause I wanted him to draw a bull tag like I did eventually but we'll have fun chasing a cow.

No
Did you draw this year? My Dad has been in the same boat as you, putting in since the 90's. He put a cow tag as one of his last choices and drew a cow tag this year. I'm kinda frustrated cause I wanted him to draw a bull tag like I did eventually but we'll have fun chasing a cow.
Nope, didn't draw. Ive thought about a cow since I hunt CO a lot but would be fun to have a bull from Oklahoma. Had a buddy that had a cow tag years ago. Said they were hard to find.... Good luck!

No

Nope, didn't draw. Ive thought about a cow since I hunt CO a lot but would be fun to have a bull from Oklahoma. Had a buddy that had a cow tag years ago. Said they were hard to find.... Good luck!
I know man. That's exactly what I told my dad. I counted 33 bulls in two days but it was only a handful of cows. I will say that most the bulls are a little busted up in the January walk in hunts. I couldn't hardly find anything that wasn't busted all to crap.

Okie-hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
FWIW, the fort sill hunt is available for any active duty military person if I recall correctly. Had I know that when I was in the Marines, I'd have flown back from Camp Lejeune to hunt....lol.
Not only active duty. I know my buddy archery hunts fort sill as a medically discharged veteran so it might be worth checking in too. Not sure what the stipulations are but worth a look.

The biggest elk I've seen down there were on the fort sill side. There was a monster bull that hung out by the road on the fort side when I was looking stuff over for my hunt.

Not only active duty. I know my buddy archery hunts fort sill as a medically discharged veteran so it might be worth checking in too. Not sure what the stipulations are but worth a look.
retired too. I am not eligible. Did my 4 years and some reserve time but not enough....dangit!