Thoughts on Satellite Messengers vs PLBs?

madlivid

FNG
I'm wondering what everyone uses. Ultimately, I'd only carry one for peace of mind so the PLB would be the simplest solution. I also like the fact that there isn't a recurring subscription fee for it. The upfront costs seem relatively comparable, probably skewed to the PLB being a tad more expensive, but again, there isn't a monthly fee or the need to keep a contract going.

Rabbit Ranger

Lil-Rokslider
I just finished up a Basic Inland SAR Course with the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center (AFRCC) last week, and the PLB is going to be very reliable (ensure you register it) in any weather. The 406 MHz signal has global coverage and communicates with 3 types of satellites in orbit (Polar Operation Environmental, Geostationary Orbiting Search and Rescue, and Mid-Earth Orbiting Satellites).

One caveat: the beacon should only be activated for the eminent threat of life, limb, or eyesight. Once activated, that signal goes directly to the AFRCC or if in Alaska, to the AKRCC. They immediately assign a case number and begin calling emergency contacts that you put in place during registration. They will then begin coordinating with local agencies and if applicable, they will utilize Federal assets, to include military and Coast Guard assets when appropriate. The federal assets cost you nothing if utilized. Tax dollars that actually work appropriately. Matter of fact, they referenced a recent incident with a very young kid on a cruise ship a number of weeks back that needed urgent medical care. They were too far out for the Coast Guard so the Air Force sent a tanker and helicopters to conduct the medical transport. Think of the cost associated with that event, but it cost parents zilch according to the instructors.

I'm headed to AK this August with my boys, and I will have an InReach for communication with my wife and will also have the ACR 410 ResQLink if a true emergency occurs. This is the same model those that taught the class carry for personal use.

Hope that gives you a little guidance in the decision process....

arcticpig

FNG
I carry both. Well I'm backpacking, 30 mi offshore, or just in the Everglades. I like to think of my plb as my main device for these reasons. I never have to worry about it being charged, it's always charged as long as it's not expired. It can go through clouds and tree cover much better. It uses search and rescue satellites and I feel like it will be more of an urgency we have to go get this guy because there's no texting back. The most important thing for me is there's no subscription fee so I can always carry it no matter what not have to worry about if my subscription is activated. It is press and prey someone is coming.

I also carry a Garmin in reach mini 2 and I like it to be able to text loved ones or in a less life-threatening situation. Also if a helicopter is looking for me and can't see me through tree cover I can let them know hey look to your 6:00 and fly straight. Also you know somebody's coming as long as they reach out to you and not just wondering should I leave and start trying to get back or stay in place because somebody might be coming. Plb you can't text. Main thing is you have to charge the in reach mini and pay a subscription fee every month to get to use everything it does. I've also heard that the Garmin doesn't go through cloud cover and trees as good.

Each has their own strengths and weaknesses but for me I carry both. My plb was about 450 and the Garmin was about 300.

If you were to say which would you carry, I got mine for offshore fishing in a small boat so I wanted to be able to grab it and press it in really bad weather so I got the plb first. If you are just hiking and don't mind paying the subscription fee and depending on how long you're going to be out carry two battery chargers in case one fails, I think the satellite will be sufficient. But having a plb is always good.

I am just some dumb hunter, fisherman, village idiot just to let you know I don't know what I'm talking about.

qmalone64

FNG
What is the ballpark subsription fee for the inreach? Can you activate and pay the fee just for the month you are hunting or is it an annual thing?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
A satellite messenger gives two way communication, so it os useful for more than emergencies. However, it uses a weaker signal and depends on civilians to get the ball rolling.

PLB is a one way message, like burning a flare. It pushes the signal at twice the wattage though and will burn through cloud cover better. Between the better signal and better satellites, it is more likely to be seen by the eye in the sky from a slot canyon or some other signal black whole. The signal is initially handled by NORAD. I trust them more than civilians, might just be biased though.

I carry an inReach. If I had a functional crystal ball and knew I was going to face a life threatening emergency, I would leave the inReach at home and bring a PLB.

arcticpig

FNG
What is the ballpark subsription fee for the inreach? Can you activate and pay the fee just for the month you are hunting or is it an annual thing?
You can do two things. Pay like 20 bucks a month and then deactivate it for $4 a month and then activate it again for no fee. Or completely deactivate it and then pay a $20 fee or somewhere around $20 fee for activation and the $20 for the month. Check out the Garmin website. There is zoleo, Garmin in reach, Garmin messenger and others. See which you need. Zoleo works for a lot of people.

qmalone64

FNG
You can do two things. Pay like 20 bucks a month and then deactivate it for $4 a month and then activate it again for no fee. Or completely deactivate it and then pay a $20 fee or somewhere around $20 fee for activation and the $20 for the month. Check out the Garmin website. There is zoleo, Garmin in reach, Garmin messenger and others. See which you need. Zoleo works for a lot of people.
Thanks for the info. Ill look into the zoleo.