Recommendations for Do-it-all boots in Central VA hunting

Methos65

FNG
Hi All.
Been reading through some threads and know there are a lot of recommenations flying around the forums.
That said, I need some new boots and am asking for experience and recommendations.
I have what I believe be a normal width ball on my foot, but my heels are kind of narrow and I always struggle with boots/shoes fitting my heels.
I'd be interested to hear what brands seem to be better for narrow, normal and wide feet.

My hunting style:
I hunt in VA mostly. Stand hunting early morning and late day. Still hunting covering a lot of ground between sites. Terrain is mixed hardwoods with a lot of hills to go up and down.

Problems I have faced with boots:
Warmth. Always a challenge, especially when sitting on cold mornings. I'll be looking at some different liner and sock options to help with sweating.
Heel lock. Often, I cannot get a boot to keep my heel at the back of the boot even when laced as tightly as possible. This results in my foot sliding foward enough for my toes to hit the front of the boot, usually when walking downhill.

What I'm looking for:
I'm looking for one comfortable boot that I can wear into the stand and when I get down, can handle the hiking/walking over most any type of terrain.
I do suffer from cold feet and my ankles are not the strongest and prone to rolling so am looking for good ankle support.
I would prefer a boot that is not to heavy to avoid tiring on long hikes/walks into, out of, and within the woods.
I want a boot with plenty of room in the toe box as I use the Hothands Toe Heaters which are quite efficient at keeping my feet warm when combined with a merino liner and wool over sock. I have a pair of Bogs, but they are kinda heavy for long hikes and don't provide the support I would like. Plus, they just are not as warm as I'd like even with the toe heaters, liner and wool socks. They are also kind of "clompy" and make it hard to sneak through the woods.

Points to consider:
I've been looking at Crispi, Kenetrek, Schnee Zamberlan, Lathrop, etc. but recently learned that mountain boots are often tighter fitting which means less circulation and colder feet.
I would be very willing to buy a pair of ArticShield Boot Covers for when I'm on the stand.

Well, I threw a lot information out. Hopefully some of you folks can provide your insight and advice.
I look forward to your responses.
Thanks for reading.

I used Rocky insulated boots for several years here in VA. Comfort was good but still got a little cold in the stand. I bought some Crispi's for my first western hunt a few years back. Awesome boots for that but not good for climbing trees. The stiffer sole doesnt help me in a tree.

I would look for fit before insulation because there are ways to stay warm. You have any stores you could try different boots on? Maybe cutting up some insoles to add to the heel area might help.

OP
M

Methos65

FNG
I used Rocky insulated boots for several years here in VA. Comfort was good but still got a little cold in the stand. I bought some Crispi's for my first western hunt a few years back. Awesome boots for that but not good for climbing trees. The stiffer sole doesnt help me in a tree.

I would look for fit before insulation because there are ways to stay warm. You have any stores you could try different boots on? Maybe cutting up some insoles to add to the heel area might help.
Thanks for the reply.
I've had Rocky's and other "lesser" brands before.
Sadly, I have not found stores within a 50 mile radius that stock hunting boots made by Kenetrek, Crispi, Lowa, Hoffman, Schnee, etc.
For trees, I use either a Summit climber or a ladder stand depending on which property I am at.

That said, I've watched a lot of videos and talked to a guy in Southern Virginia near Lynchburg that has Kenetrek which he loves. I've decided to give them a try and have a pair on their way.

Worst case scenario, they don't fit and I return them and it costs me $15-20 in shipping.

I'll try to remember to come back here an update after I've tried them out.

I had to do the same with my Crispi's.

Stiff soles wouldnt be too bad with a climber. They arent fun with a saddle.

Good luck with the Kentreks, and this season.

I’m in that area a lot and can’t recommend the Crispi Nevada enough. Absolutely best all around boot I’ve worn. If it’s seriously cold out as in sub freezing I put over boots on when in the stand because it’s just down right cold. But any movement and above freezing I’ve found zero issue. I’m getting a lighter pair of the Laponias to try but unless your in some swampy crap like south eastern VA has, everywhere else I’ve rocked these Crispis

I am in the Hampton Roads area and have been hunting in Crispi Colorados for the last 4 years or so. Only time I don't wear them is when I'm going to hunt in a known swamp. Good socks and some booties in the extreme cold and I'm good to go.