Chrono exit speed post impact

So... I have a theory that a small cartridge kills whitetail better than a large one. I have gathered this after shooting 30 some with anything from a 223 to a 300 weatherby. Perfection being a 243 or 6.5 creed.

What id like to do, see, or read about is measured exit velocity from shells like 7mm mag, 300 mag, 338 lapua, etc vs 223, 22-250, 243, 6.5 creed

My theory is that a 300 mag might impact a deer with a 180 gr at 2700 fps and leave the deer with at least 1,000 fps remaining. Where as a 243 may impact at 2,700 fps and either remain inside or barely exit.

Thoughts?

From years of hunting with mostly my 7mm rem but also trying my elk rifle 300wsm, a 6.5 creed, and 270win, oh yeah and seeing someone shoot one with a 5.56.. I’d have to definitely disagree. The 7mm rem has better terminal performance/knockdown power over the 6.5 creed/.270.. the blood trails are typically better with the 7mm also but a lot of this depends on the type of bullet. I use a ballistic tip so it’ll usually leave a largest hole vs something that is bonded that you’d use for elk hunting. I can’t count how many times we had to trail a wounded buck from the .270 with hardly any blood trail. After seeing someone shoot a buck with a 5.56, I’d never recommend doing that unless you are super comfortable and accurate with that particular rifle. I’ve seen some pretty poor blood trails from a .243 (deer was shot 3 times) and we only seen a tiny drop every 10’ or so. Regardless, it’s more about shot placement and bullet type but if I had to pick one, I’m going 7mm rem mag and never looking back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk