R vs. NR tag allocation

sneaky

"DADDY"
Exactly. All of that feed, water, safe haven as a relief from pressure....all of it.

So many on here neglect to comprehend the simple economics of Non-Residents subsidizing their "right" to hunt. I can't tell you the number of locals who I see "hunting" while sitting in their truck at the bottom of a game trail waiting for an elk to appear. Or cruising around on a SxS "hopin' to bust one" or 10 guys camping and partying scaring away all game in a 2 mile radius. Let's see if those guys currently paying $115 all in for an elk tag are willing to approach the $900 that NRs are paying for the same tag.
The angst against landowner tags comes from landowners getting tags and either hunting off their property, or selling them to someone else who then hunts elsewhere. That loophole pisses people off, and rightfully so. It should come with the stipulation that the landowner and their family only, on their own property.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
I like the way North Dakota does it....99/1!

Seems legit!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

The angst against landowner tags comes from landowners getting tags and either hunting off their property, or selling them to someone else who then hunts elsewhere. That loophole pisses people off, and rightfully so. It should come with the stipulation that the landowner and their family only, on their own property.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
the whole point of a Land Owner Tag is for Depredation Tolerance, transferable means loss recoupment

My pronghorn example is factual example. I can let the general public hunt my land in Sept/Oct and does nothing to protect or help my wheat loses in Feb/March, I might have 20 pronghorns on 32 section in sept compared to the 300 I have Feb/March.

Im a difference generation then my grandfather, I see value in wildlife.

30 years ago there wasnt 200/300 pronghorns on my winter wheat in March… You know why? Because their wasnt 200/300 pronghorns. It only took a phone call to State Sec of Agriculture for UNLIMITED tags in March. That option still exists across every state wether you think it does or doesnt, but its not as used as much due to LO tag cost recoupment

90% of all winter range in CO is private, as is most state.

all these wildlife success stories are based off Private Property Owners tolerance and input

Last edited:

hobbes

WKR
There are several states that I can't hunt or apply for permits in as a nonresident. You guys don't bitch about that because there aren't enough elk there for you to care.

When's the last time anyone was referencing landowner tags in any way that had anything to do with crop damage? I'm all for managing that but the problem is that's not what those tags boil down to in a lot of cases but instead the potential the tags have for trophy's and income. However, landowner tags are not something I'm worried about. We had them for whitetails in Illinois but we were limited to our own land.

The way I see it on NR funding, we don't need as much funding if the majority of you don't roll into Montana.

Small piece of advice. Take it or leave it. You may be under the impression that everything in the legislature revolves around the value of your license fees, and to some extent and my dismay you're correct, but push on Montana too much and express your entitlement to dictate what Montanans do, and you may find that it bites you in the ass. In general, they don't respond well to outsiders trying to push their will on them.

bmart2622

WKR
In all my years I've never heard of a landowner using his landowner preference as a means to mitigate crop damage. But every year a landowner uses their preference as a loop hole to obtain 1 of only 5 tags in an area to shoot a 380" bull, and doesn't ever hunt their own land, the same land they used to play the system and obtain the tag

wytx

WKR
Exactly. All of that feed, water, safe haven as a relief from pressure....all of it.

So many on here neglect to comprehend the simple economics of Non-Residents subsidizing their "right" to hunt. I can't tell you the number of locals who I see "hunting" while sitting in their truck at the bottom of a game trail waiting for an elk to appear. Or cruising around on a SxS "hopin' to bust one" or 10 guys camping and partying scaring away all game in a 2 mile radius. Let's see if those guys currently paying $115 all in for an elk tag are willing to approach the $900 that NRs are paying for the same tag.
Pretty broad brush you paint with there.
How do you hunt in Texas, blinds and feeders?
Sounds like you should find another place to hunt if only the NRs are doing it right.
And , nope we sure won't pay what NRs pay for our resident tags, that is our privilege for being residents.

In all my years I've never heard of a landowner using his landowner preference as a means to mitigate crop damage. But every year a landowner uses their preference as a loop hole to obtain 1 of only 5 tags in an area to shoot a 380" bull, and doesn't ever hunt their own land, the same land they used to play the system and obtain the tag
Exactly. There are depredation tags that are used for crop loss management and then there are LAP's, used for padding pockets.

HuntNM

FNG
Yep… if I was moving for hunting it would be to Wyo or Alaska hands down most other states don’t have the opportunity or take care of residents first like they do
Hello from New Mexico. Yes, located in the United States.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Hello from New Mexico. Yes, located in the United States.
Would be my third choice after the other two I think 🤔 you do have the cool free range exotics for sure, my only gripe with NM is seems like game animal management/ habitat management could be a little better from what I hear. Hope to head south to get a crack at an elk in Sept at some point in my life though!

Last edited:
Pretty broad brush you paint with there.
How do you hunt in Texas, blinds and feeders?
Sounds like you should find another place to hunt if only the NRs are doing it right.
And , nope we sure won't pay what NRs pay for our resident tags, that is our privilege for being residents.
Fortunately for me, your opinion doesn't mean shit. Unfortunately for you, you have no clue how I hunt or where the land I own is located.

BTW, I've seen you post multiple times that you (and presumably your husband) are from Texas. If you weren't working for a Wyoming landowner, you'd be hunting blinds and feeders...just don't make the presumption that I hunt the same way that you would hunt.

Last edited:

HuntNM

FNG
Fortunately for me, your opinion doesn't mean shit. Unfortunately for you, you have no clue how I hunt where the land I own is located.
You were obviously baited for this emotional response... Oh Texas, lol 😂.

HuntNM

FNG
Says the newbie clueless troll who doesn't know an elk bugle from a fart :rolleyes:
Thems' a fightin' words! You're cute though. I admire your defense of wanting better hunt odds as a non-resident. Good thing you have acres upon acres of public land in the great state of TX!

WCB

WKR
There are several states that I can't hunt or apply for permits in as a nonresident. You guys don't bitch about that because there aren't enough elk there for you to care.

When's the last time anyone was referencing landowner tags in any way that had anything to do with crop damage? I'm all for managing that but the problem is that's not what those tags boil down to in a lot of cases but instead the potential the tags have for trophy's and income. However, landowner tags are not something I'm worried about. We had them for whitetails in Illinois but we were limited to our own land.

The way I see it on NR funding, we don't need as much funding if the majority of you don't roll into Montana.

Small piece of advice. Take it or leave it. You may be under the impression that everything in the legislature revolves around the value of your license fees, and to some extent and my dismay you're correct, but push on Montana too much and express your entitlement to dictate what Montanans do, and you may find that it bites you in the ass. In general, they don't respond well to outsiders trying to push their will on them.
Lived in MT for a few years and have family all over MT...seems your last paragraph should be directed towards Californians and west coasters moving in. You get this riled up over NR hunters you are going to flip when you see what they are doing to Montana.

And actually I "bitch" about Resident only tags also. Shot an Antelope in ND with my bow the last year they allowed NRs to hunt them. Would like to hunt them again there. Same with elk tags and moose tags. Hell those are the states I want to hunt because 99% of the time its as closed to guaranteed as can be.

hobbes

WKR
Lived in MT for a few years and have family all over MT...seems your last paragraph should be directed towards Californians and west coasters moving in. You get this riled up over NR hunters you are going to flip when you see what they are doing to Montana.

And actually I "bitch" about Resident only tags also. Shot an Antelope in ND with my bow the last year they allowed NRs to hunt them. Would like to hunt them again there. Same with elk tags and moose tags. Hell those are the states I want to hunt because 99% of the time its as closed to guaranteed as can be.
"Californians" is a very loosely used term and Id say it's more folks from Washington and Oregon than anywhere else. I'm well aware of what they will eventually do to Montana. I see it on a regular basis considering that I live here

I don't typically bitch about Nonresidents. I do think we have way too many nonresident deer hunters. In fact, I think it's an excessive number of Nonresidents. I think I could have skipped across Eastern MT on nonresident truck hoods last November. However, I'm still very polite to all of them and feel no I'll will towards any of them. I e found the title of dumbass isn't exclusive to nonresidents. What I do complain about is the sense of entitlement that some folks have on these forums.

Montana makes available a pile of general licenses to nonresidents. There are very few limited entry permits as compared to general licenses, but there's still this entitlement attitude that has grown old to the point of me not really caring if a nonresident doesn't like the opportunity that's provided.

OP
Scoot

Scoot

WKR
I like the way North Dakota does it....99/1!

Seems legit!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
Bsneds, aren't you the guy who responded to my criticism of some of how MT handles some tags with "if you don't like the way we do it, stay the F out"? Seems it's ok for you to criticize ND, but I'm an ass if I inquire about MT. This seems equally legit.