Swaro CL 8x30s for SE Whitetail Timber

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
I've read through a lot of threads on a very similar use case to my situation/outlook, but I think what I'm trying to achieve hasn't been specifically addressed.

I've been reading/researching a lot on the CL companion's vs Zeiss and vs others (Maven, Kowa, etc.) - including going to the local shop to try them out. I think my mind is basically made up on going with Swaro, but want to hear if the 8's are the way to go for how I'll use them. I've eyed a pair for a long time but narrowing down to the right Swaro setup/model has been a challenge. In other threads, it seems like the 8x30's or 8x32's is a great balance of the features I'm looking for.

I'd love to hear any other things I should be considering, or maybe just a nudge to pull the trigger. They're in my cart as we speak. Alternatively, I'm not opposed to going with a used pair of 8's SLC or other model (RS, ebay, etc.), but just haven't spent as much research time on them.

I have a pair of Vortex Viper HD 10x42's. For the price, I think they're pretty great, but I've found 10x from a tree stand where visibility/clear shooting lanes are less than 75 yards they can feel like a bit much (i.e., I don't love the FOV). Plus, I'd love to act like I'm not a weight weenie, but 24.9 oz is fine for some uses (wt of the Viper HD's), but they feel a little bulky/too much for what I need, and I just don't need 10 power.

Here's what I'm working with/towards:
Budget: $1,500
Primary Use: 99% Whitetail hunting in Timber
Hunt Style: 80% Still Hunting - 20% Whitetail hunting from a lock on / saddle
Preferences/Considerations: Weight, but I think in the 30-32mm obj I'm in the right weight class for what I'm trying to achieve with this setup

As a side note, I can see eventually selling the Viper's and upgrading to a different 10 power (probably the ELs) when Western trips are more on the horizon and as my budget has grown the last few years. Right now, with 3 kids under 10, I ain't quite there, but will be pretty soon.

Thanks y'all

wyosteve

WKR
I have some 8x30 and 10x30 CL's and love them. Compact, yet very good glass. Use the 8's almost daily. For your purposes I don't think you'd be sorry with the CL's.

Matt G.

WKR
I have the 8.5 x42 els and have a similar style of hunting and do western too. It's the do all. I love the view through brush. If i had the budget I would also have the 8x32 cl or el or the ziess sfl since they are so lightweight. When you are in brush or tree stand you want the Light gathering and wide fov.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Shraggs

WKR
I have the 8x30 cl 2nd gen and love them. That said they would not at all be my choice for in the timber deer hunting. Assuming you’re not stalking. Most definitely want the light gathering of an 8x42 alpha glass.

I use my cl for archery stalking, mainly in mountain environments.

OP
J

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
I have the 8x30 cl 2nd gen and love them. That said they would not at all be my choice for in the timber deer hunting. Assuming you’re not stalking. Most definitely want the light gathering of an 8x42 alpha glass.

I use my cl for archery stalking, mainly in mountain environments.
Which 8x42 would you run in that situation?

OP
J

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
I'll say I've looked pretty hard at the 8.5x42 EL's as @Matt G. mentioned. The only "con" I see is they're nearly 30 oz. But the light gathering is what I'm after, too

Macintosh

WKR
This is me—unless Im traveling west, which is only every 2nd or third year, Im in thick timber still hunting, tracking, and I also use a tree stand or saddle a lot archery hunting.
For me, one consideration that the western guys dont seem to see, is the bulk of the bino was a significant annoyance while setting sticks for a saddle. If you are using pre-set stands its a non-issue, but for hang and hunts it had me ready to just go without binos. I bought a pair of vortex diamondback hd 8x28s for the size. They SUCK glasswise compared to the binos you are looking at, but the small size means the annoyance of having the big brick in a chest-mounted bino harness while climbing is far, far better. If you are like me I would place some emphasis on physical
Size of the binos for your use case.

I’ll be following to hear what you go with and how you like them.

I hunt deer with a bow in timber 50+ days a year from pennsylvania to kansas and everywhere in between.
I own 8x32 els 10x42 els 12x50 els. For the past 4 years the 8x32els are the only glass i had in my chest rig for deer hunting. Never felt a need for more in timber.
Of the 3 i own the 8x32s have the biggest wow factor when you look through them.
To me there is so little upside to the 10x42s i seldom use them.
The 12x50s are awesome in big open country but i really only use them on a tripod.
At $1500 budget used 8x32 els are a no brainer choice for your needs.

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve not regretted for 30 seconds going with 10x42 SLC’s about 10 years ago. My uses are much more open mountain hunting at home in CA for deer or in CO for elk hunting. We’ve killed a couple of elk completely due to the performance of the binoculars. They are just as good however in the few thick tree areas I’ve hunted. If you’re content owning one great set - pick an all around Swarovski if that glass looks best to you. If you want to spend dozens of hours & thousands $ to experiment & be the ultimate gear head (certainly ok & common here) go specialized & make incremental purchases.

I stay on the ground & carry a large AGC bino pack with everything but the kitchen sink- tags, binos, rangefinder, knife, bullets, chapstick, wind check& pen when hunting so I can drop my backpack & do what passes for a sprint these days. Not for everyone but works for me.

Keep your vipers for uses you don’t need the Swaros like kids football games. Or sell them & scratch the itch for change on the cheap end. I use Sightron 8x32’s as my truck & football binos but appreciate the Swaro clarity for hunting.

Pezboat

WKR
I have the 8x30 CL’s and love them. I wanted something small for bow hunting timber in the Midwest. Even took them mule deer hunting out west. My 8x30’s were more clear and better at spotting animals than my buddy’s 12x50’s (of a brand we won’t mention). I think I made the right choice.

TN2shot07

WKR
I can’t imagine regretting picking up the companions, especially for timber like you’re talking about. I would definitely give the SFL’s a look, also hit your compact light weight goal.

I will say if you want to save some money and test out some compacts that I’ve been super impressed with the Maven B3’s. They aren’t alpha glass but it’s a lot for the money

Shraggs

WKR
Which 8x42 would you run in that situation?
I own ZEISS victory fl also.

If you can find used alpha glass any of the big three will do. Mechanically all things equal that is brighter and gathers more light than an 8x30.

If I’m stand hunting. I want the brightest and widest fov. Timber is dark and I want to Identify and discern specific not just see deer. If I’m afoot than the 8x30.

Short range optics really stress the features more than glass quality. I’d be much more concerned with finding the right pair with the most comfortable eye box, longer DOF, and faster focus wheel for close work. There are few things more cross-eye inducing than spinning a focus wheel back and forth full rotations all day trying to overcome a shallow depth of field while battling edge blackouts.

OP
J

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
I appreciate all the feedback. I picked up a pair of 8x30 CL’s and they should be here later this wk.

As a side note, and after reading you all’s responses, I looked into a pair of 8x42 SLC’s. I tried/found a pair of 8.5x42 EL’s and not sure what it’s called, but felt slightly queasy when looking through them. Apparently this is rare but can happen with the add’l field flattening lens/Swarovision? Idk. Y’all can school me on that but it is what it is. Bottom line, I think they’re a no go, unfortunately, thus the SLC’s being at the top of the list.

I think right now, the CL’s will be my stalking glass and if I get the SLC’s I’ll use them for stand hunting when weight/compactness isn’t really a concern.

The other thing that has occurred to me this whole time after reading what you guys wrote, is the “push” to “just go with” 10x42’s. Y’all may have a different perspective, but from the ~25 years I’ve been hunting (bear in mind, in the SE in AL and GA), 10x42’s is all I ever got encouraged to get. The hunting marketing train got me!!

And now it’s hilarious after looking through a pair of 8x and, with premium glass (and thankfully a budget that allows premo glass), and seeing that 8x would be more than enough for 90% of the type of hunting I do. Heck, it’s been crazy to me (bc I’m ignorant to hunting in the W) that some of you guys run an 8 power out West. I totally realize everyone has an opinion on what glass to use out West, but it’s just been encouraging that different scenarios call for the ideal setup, and you can dual purpose 8 power glass is all I mean.

Glass has gradually been demystified and now I feel more equipped knowledge wise (and leveraging y’all’s experience actually using the stuff) to get the right gear the first time. Appreciate the help! We have about 6 weeks left to hunt whitetails in AL. I’ll shoot some pics/do an amateur review later in the season.

wyosteve

WKR
Enjoy them. I think you made a good choice. If you don't like the, they're easily sold.

Clayman77

FNG
I've read through a lot of threads on a very similar use case to my situation/outlook, but I think what I'm trying to achieve hasn't been specifically addressed.

I've been reading/researching a lot on the CL companion's vs Zeiss and vs others (Maven, Kowa, etc.) - including going to the local shop to try them out. I think my mind is basically made up on going with Swaro, but want to hear if the 8's are the way to go for how I'll use them. I've eyed a pair for a long time but narrowing down to the right Swaro setup/model has been a challenge. In other threads, it seems like the 8x30's or 8x32's is a great balance of the features I'm looking for.

I'd love to hear any other things I should be considering, or maybe just a nudge to pull the trigger. They're in my cart as we speak. Alternatively, I'm not opposed to going with a used pair of 8's SLC or other model (RS, ebay, etc.), but just haven't spent as much research time on them.

I have a pair of Vortex Viper HD 10x42's. For the price, I think they're pretty great, but I've found 10x from a tree stand where visibility/clear shooting lanes are less than 75 yards they can feel like a bit much (i.e., I don't love the FOV). Plus, I'd love to act like I'm not a weight weenie, but 24.9 oz is fine for some uses (wt of the Viper HD's), but they feel a little bulky/too much for what I need, and I just don't need 10 power.

Here's what I'm working with/towards:
Budget: $1,500
Primary Use: 99% Whitetail hunting in Timber
Hunt Style: 80% Still Hunting - 20% Whitetail hunting from a lock on / saddle
Preferences/Considerations: Weight, but I think in the 30-32mm obj I'm in the right weight class for what I'm trying to achieve with this setup

As a side note, I can see eventually selling the Viper's and upgrading to a different 10 power (probably the ELs) when Western trips are more on the horizon and as my budget has grown the last few years. Right now, with 3 kids under 10, I ain't quite there, but will be pretty soon.

Thanks y'all
I have 8x30 cls they are ok. I got a pair of styrka s7 8x42 that exceed them . Really good glass / out of business no warranty. Find on eBay for around 4or 5 . They are my go to binos everytime over my lower end swaros . I’ve had them for years they are solid and perfect for me in the 8 class .