R vs. NR tag allocation

RdRdrFan

WKR
Allocate tags in a unit by land ownership (federal, state and private). For instance, if the unit has 100 tags and it is 60% federal land, 30% state owned land and 10% private then there are 60 tags in the federal draw, 30 tags in the state draw and 10 tags in the private draw.

The 60 tag draw is a free for all. No separate allocation. The 30 tags are for residents only. The 10 tags are for private landowners. You are only allowed to use your tag in the area associated with it in the unit. If you draw a federal lands tag then you can only use it there and on private land with permission. If you draw a state tag then it can only be used on state land in the unit or private land with permission. Private land tag is just that.

If you are a resident and want to hunt the federal land in a unit then you put in for the same draw as everyone else. If you want better odds then put in for the resident only hunt that is on state owned land.

Give five to seven years to sunset the point systems then it’s a free for all. No point system. Everyone should be able to use up their points by then so it doesn’t penalize those of us who have been in the game since the beginning.

HuntNM

FNG
Allocate tags in a unit by land ownership (federal, state and private). For instance, if the unit has 100 tags and it is 60% federal land, 30% state owned land and 10% private then there are 60 tags in the federal draw, 30 tags in the state draw and 10 tags in the private draw.

The 60 tag draw is a free for all. No separate allocation. The 30 tags are for residents only. The 10 tags are for private landowners. You are only allowed to use your tag in the area associated with it in the unit. If you draw a federal lands tag then you can only use it there and on private land with permission. If you draw a state tag then it can only be used on state land in the unit or private land with permission. Private land tag is just that.

Most of what you said is great, but private land owner tags should only be huntable on their own land or among other private land owners (with permission) and not unit wide on federal or state land. **** the wealthy people buying up land simply to game the system and hunt in the specific game unit they're bordered within, with no real intention to hunt their own land.

Most of what you said is great, but private land owner tags should only be huntable on their own land or among other private land owners (with permission) and not unit wide on federal or state land. **** the wealthy people buying up land simply to game the system and hunt in the specific game unit they're bordered within, with no real intention to hunt their own land.
This is childish, and I know I'm arguing with with an imbecile troll with 0 skins on the wall, so I won't be replying to anymore of your childish bait. I get that you have no clue what you're talking about, that you have no hunting experience whatsoever (outside of 1 year climbing rocks with your "hiking friend"), and that almost all of your grand total of 10 posts on this forum are strictly trolling...but you are utterly oblivious if you think people are "buying up land simply to game the system." Yeah, people are spending millions of dollars just to get landowners tags worth a few thousand dollars.... I've read a lot of dumb shit on these forums, but that takes the cake.

You're best served to sit back, observe, not make amateur assumptions, and actually learn (esp. before you open your big mouth and talk more shit with nothing to show for it), and then pipe in once you've actually harvested something in a few years...if you and your "hiking friends" are ever so fortunate. Show me a picture with you and an actual harvest and only then will I respect anything you say.

Last edited:

RdRdrFan

WKR

I agree that private should hunt private. That is what I intended to state.

However, if you have a federal or state land tag and you have permission to hunt private then you can hunt private. But private land tags are for private land only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
Fortunately for me, your opinion doesn't mean shit. Unfortunately for you, you have no clue how I hunt or where the land I own is located.

BTW, I've seen you post multiple times that you (and presumably your husband) are from Texas. If you weren't working for a Wyoming landowner, you'd be hunting blinds and feeders...just don't make the presumption that I hunt the same way that you would hunt.
Neither does your shitty opinion.
Just pointing out that broad brush you are now complaining about.
Take a chill pill dude.
The LO we work for is a side job he approached us about doing for him. Full time job pays the bills, not helping an older LO.
Whether we work for him or not we will not be hunting feeders and blinds unless we're in Texas.
We go down to Texas every year for that on the family place.

Touch you in a wrong spot with the feeders and blinds comment, maybe not paint with that broad brush and you won't get called out.
You made broad claims about how local, residents , hunt but we can't comment on your "style"?

Pot meet kettle.
You have no idea how I hunt or where the land I hunt is located, sound familiar.

bsnedeker

WKR
Bsneds, aren't you the guy who responded to my criticism of some of how MT handles some tags with "if you don't like the way we do it, stay the F out"? Seems it's ok for you to criticize ND, but I'm an ass if I inquire about MT. This seems equally legit.
Reading comprehension not big in your house is it? If you read my post again I said, "I like the way ND does it".... somehow you read me saying I like something as criticism?

I like ice cream. I'd also like it if only 1% of our tags go to non residents.

I've never criticized the ND system.... what i HAVE said is that no one from ND should ever complain about the way other states treat NRs because they have it better than anyone.

I hope that helps you understand how words work.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

fatlander

WKR
Reading comprehension not big in your house is it? If you read my post again I said, "I like the way ND does it".... somehow you read me saying I like something as criticism?

I like ice cream. I'd also like it if only 1% of our tags go to non residents.

I've never criticized the ND system.... what i HAVE said is that no one from ND should ever complain about the way other states treat NRs because they have it better than anyone.

I hope that helps you understand how words work.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Do you realize how short sighted this is?

Montana FWP generates about 60 million in license sales per year. Do you know what a nonresident elk combo costs with a preference point?

It’s $1155.25.

Montana sells 17000 of those per year, about 25% of those combos have a few more hundred tacked on for a deer tag. Plus there’s the additional 10,000 deer only licenses at almost 800 a pop.

Those alone make up half of, if not slightly more than half, of MTFWP’s license sales per year.

bsnedeker

WKR
Do you realize how short sighted this is?

Montana FWP generates about 60 million in license sales per year. Do you know what a nonresident elk combo costs with a preference point?

It’s $1155.25.

Montana sells 17000 of those per year, about 25% of those combos have a few more hundred tacked on for a deer tag. Plus there’s the additional 10,000 deer only licenses at almost 800 a pop.

Those alone make up half of, if not slightly more than half, of MTFWP’s license sales per year.

Did I say it was realistic? I can like the idea of something even if it could never work in reality. If you think any changes to any laws are coming out of this Rokslide thread you are mistaken.

fatlander

WKR
Did I say it was realistic? I can like the idea of something even if it could never work in reality. If you think any changes to any laws are coming out of this Rokslide thread you are mistaken.

The disdain for non residents does permeate outside of rokslide and makes its way to law. How often when bitching about nonresidents to your fellow Montanans do you acknowledge the fiscal facts I pointed out?

I cannot understand how 27,000 nonresidents that are keeping the lights on and a roof over the collective heads of your FWP can garner so much hate. MT has been statutorily selling that many NR tags for decades. Longer than most of the residents that bitch about NRs were even residents.

OP
Scoot

Scoot

WKR
Bsneds, I misunderstood your "seems legit" to be sarcasm. Apparently I was wrong. It seems my lack of reading comprehension pales in comparison to your lack of tact and treatment of others. It's a rare post of yours that you don't make a snide, assish comment. It's why I misunderstood your comment actually- figured you were being your usual sarcastic-ass self.

bmart2622

WKR
I have no disdain towards NR. What does bother me is when they think that they are owed something or are entitled like the state wouldn't exist without them buying tags. The reality is that the residents keep the state going, we keep the gas stations open that NR use when they come to hunt 1 week out of the year, the residents keep the stores and restaurants open that NR use when they come 1 week out of the year, its our taxes that up keep the roads NR drive on. Bottom line, the state decides how to allocate tags and what to charge for them, as a NR you dont get a say in that. If you want to hunt that state you play by the rules or hunt elsewhere

OP
Scoot

Scoot

WKR
Some really interesting and thoughtful info and perspectives in here! Some ridiculous responses too, in my opinion. Some ass-hat replies too. :ROFLMAO:

In all my years I've never heard of a landowner using his landowner preference as a means to mitigate crop damage. But every year a landowner uses their preference as a loop hole to obtain 1 of only 5 tags in an area to shoot a 380" bull, and doesn't ever hunt their own land, the same land they used to play the system and obtain the tag
I do my self and know several others in several states that also do. that 380 bull is $20k in fence restoration, hay tonnage loss, increase fertilizer, I can go on and on. Alot more to tolerance then a “crop” loss. Cost to round cattle back up after fences get nocked down etc.

you every had 280 bushell corn circle laid down by a herd of elk?

Go take 208k and set it on fire, thats whats its like. oh insurance only pays 10k so I guess you only lost 198k….

Thems' a fightin' words! You're cute though. I admire your defense of wanting better hunt odds as a non-resident. Good thing you have acres upon acres of public land in the great state of TX!

There are actually and no Residency or license restrictions on public Draw or OTC options… Cazy stuff

bmart2622

WKR
I do my self and know several others in several states that also do. that 380 bull is $20k in fence restoration, hay tonnage loss, increase fertilizer, I can go on and on. Alot more to tolerance then a “crop” loss. Cost to round cattle back up after fences get nocked down etc.

Go take 208k and set it on fire, thats whats its like. oh insurance only pays 10k so I guess you only lost 198k….
Sounds like you should talk to your state department about doing a damage hunt, which only allows antlerless elk to be killed. Its a very far cry from a blue chip limited entry tag. Youre trying to tell me that 1 bull elk does $20k in damages a year?

You mean like NM does their Private land mule deer tags?

bmart2622

WKR

Do you allow hunters to access and hunt your property to help out with this terrible elk problem you have?