Quitting Alcohol

I'm at 4 months today with no alcohol. Earlier in the thread, I said I didn't even want to drink NA beer fearing that it would make me want the real thing but that has honestly filled in the gap for me. I like the Busch Lite NA and it satifies that craving and I don't feel like crap the next day. Interestingly enough, I still get carded at the store for this when checking out with an actual person but the self checkout doesn't require an ID. Weird---I don't even tell them it’s non-alcoholic anymore when they ask for my ID.
Congratulations! One day at a time.

I’m at 3 months this time. I went 6 months, on a whim had one beer for my birthday which was in August. One single ipa gave me a headache haha. Told my wife I wasted 6 months but at the same time confirmed what I knew all along. Been the easiest 3 months honestly, don’t miss it one bit.

Can’t wait till my birthday next year to hit the 1 year milestone!

schmalzy

WKR
I don't preach it and certainly dont look at anyone who partakes any differently, but I can attest to all the positive experiences of sobriety in this thread so far; my life is better in every way imaginable. I dont have street cred or tenure at over 6 months yet but thought I'd put in a plug for a great way to be.

I ditched processed sugars and grains at the same time, and am down 40 lbs to 185. I have as much energy as I've ever had, my mind is much clearer, stress is all but gone, and I confirmed that alcohol makes loose stools lol.

Those who said you have to get your mind right are really on to something, and when I did, I felt a great load lifted and relish that "I" am in control. "Body over mind, mind over matter. If your body dont mind, it don't matter!", said the sergeants at FLW in '94. :)

Way to go man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
You folks who are doing so dang well are an inspiration to many. Sincere condolences to those who have lost someone to alcohol.
Yeah man.. with my older brother.. who was living out in Golden Valley AZ.

He had his leg injured bad at 17yo working at a CarWash. Got a settlement, went stupid with the money, ya know. Not to long and all gone. Geez man... as an Arizona "alarm system" being out there... he had a crap-ton of empty beer cans around his "single-wide" unit... so he'd know if critters or tweakers were trying to creep around his place.

He learned to use peoples sympathy over the leg thing to get rides here and there. Disability from Gov and also receiving food donations from a local church, etc. And ya know, the ballooning up the do first, from all the drinking. Didn't help his leg issue any.

Sadly... I predicted... EXACTLY... at what age, from that last time I saw him, he'd likely die at from the drinking. Oh well. Can't fix stupid.

ChrisA

WKR
Yeah man.. with my older brother.. who was living out in Golden Valley AZ.

He had his leg injured bad at 17yo working at a CarWash. Got a settlement, went stupid with the money, ya know. Not to long and all gone. Geez man... as an Arizona "alarm system" being out there... he had a crap-ton of empty beer cans around his "single-wide" unit... so he'd know if critters or tweakers were trying to creep around his place.

He learned to use peoples sympathy over the leg thing to get rides here and there. Disability from Gov and also receiving food donations from a local church, etc. And ya know, the ballooning up the do first, from all the drinking. Didn't help his leg issue any.

Sadly... I predicted... EXACTLY... at what age, from that last time I saw him, he'd likely die at from the drinking. Oh well. Can't fix stupid.
My condolences to you and your family. "Can't fix stupid," I get what you're saying but I believe there's way more involved than "stupid". I for one knew that I could possibly "shell out my liver" but I never realized exactly what alcohol does to your body until I listened to the Huberman #86 podcast on alcohol. I was naive, and hey, everybody's doing it. Plus, it'll never happen to me...

Thanks for sharing.

Chris

TheGDog

WKR
My condolences to you and your family. "Can't fix stupid," I get what you're saying but I believe there's way more involved than "stupid". I for one knew that I could possibly "shell out my liver" but I never realized exactly what alcohol does to your body until I listened to the Huberman #86 podcast on alcohol. I was naive, and hey, everybody's doing it. Plus, it'll never happen to me...

Thanks for sharing.

Chris
I'm 54. He was like 6yr older than me. While obviously he didn't pursue a path of constant learning like myself, you're a "doomoss" (fun PC way to say "DumbA@@") if by that age you don't understand the consequences of drinking to that level. Not only that.. just like people getting morbidly obese... you had a DANG lot of time and symptoms to indicate to you that you needed to pump your brakes!

Superdoo

WKR
I just celebrated 1 year totally alcohol free. In the past few years I've had maybe 7 drinks, but now that a full year has gone buy, I'm going to try to keep the streak alive.

If you're struggling, we are here for you. If you failed, just keep trying.

survivalistd

Lil-Rokslider
Checking in, just realized I hit the 6 month mark sober today. Thanks again OP and everyone for all their stories and support. Keep up the great work!
Way to go. That's a huge milestone. Things will just keep getting better and better gor you..

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

survivalistd

Lil-Rokslider
I just celebrated 1 year totally alcohol free. In the past few years I've had maybe 7 drinks, but now that a full year has gone buy, I'm going to try to keep the streak alive.

If you're struggling, we are here for you. If you failed, just keep trying.
Excellent job. Yes we are all here for each other.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Great to hear the success stories in quitting drinking and to announce it on a forum such as this takes a lot of courage, awesome boldness! I became allergic to alcohol over 21 years ago so I haven't had a drink since and it was a huge blessing from God as I realized the tremendous benefits of sobriety. Now that I am pursuing elk on the mountain, I can't imagine how more difficult it would be for me. I read a lot earlier in the post that someone suggested AA which is very good but I'll add another, Celebrate Recovery. It's a biblically based AA program that challenges the person in all aspects of our behaviors that would lead up to things such as alcoholism. Ask God to help you with your incentive to quit, overcome and to live victoriously and He will! The incentive has to be stronger than the habit. My life definitely isn't boring because I don't drink, instead, I experience life better because of it.

Collin68

FNG
For me personally it was the best thing I could’ve ever done. My dad is an alcoholic and wasn’t ever around much and I wasn’t going to put my kid through that same situation so I just stopped all together because its something once I start I can’t seem to stop. Everything is okay in moderation I believe and alcohol is just something I can’t keep in moderation

LFC911

WKR
For me personally it was the best thing I could’ve ever done. My dad is an alcoholic and wasn’t ever around much and I wasn’t going to put my kid through that same situation so I just stopped all together because its something once I start I can’t seem to stop. Everything is okay in moderation I believe and alcohol is just something I can’t keep in moderation
I was the same way...like the song says, "one turned into thirteen", I can't just drink one or two...so i just had to take a break, which turned into this. Yeah, I'll miss a few NYE and pool parties, but those weren't productive uses of time. Oh and BTW, more $$$ for elk tags!

I will celebrate 11 years of sobriety next month God willing One Day at a Time.

I was 32 years old and sneaking off to the closet to take pulls off a bottle of vodka to function. Started partying and drinking in middle school.

Alcohol is a dangerous drug and kills more people every year than opiates. I was entirely physically dependent on alcohol to function and would have withdrawals if I wanted to stop for good.

I went to in patient rehab for 26 days in January 2013 and haven’t touched a drink since.

Since my profile is anonymous here, I will say that God, the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous and the 12 Steps gave me a new life. One that I always wanted from when I was a boy.

If you want to stop drinking but can’t, I recommend getting in touch with AA and get into meetings everyday for the first year. If you feel like withdrawals are causing significant physical symptoms, seek medical care. Medical detox is safe and is covered by most employers.

I have read this thread (most of it) over a few times of looking at it. It really struck a nerve with me for a lot of reasons. God has a funny way of showing you your path. I have not had a drink in over a month but wasn't a heavy drinker to begin with. Had a recent scare with a family member and the effect of their drinking (heavy) came to light which only compounded the decision to quit.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I have read this thread (most of it) over a few times of looking at it. It really struck a nerve with me for a lot of reasons. God has a funny way of showing you your path. I have not had a drink in over a month but wasn't a heavy drinker to begin with. Had a recent scare with a family member and the effect of their drinking (heavy) came to light which only compounded the decision to quit.
I too didn't drink much at all before I quit so it was an easier choice and made easier by becoming allergic to it. Alcohol played such a negative role for myself and my family growing up. I don't go around people or parties where drinking is involved, can't stand the drinking drama. One reason it took me so long to hunt elk in Colorado is that most people who asked me to go loved to party while they hunted which contributed to their unethical/unenjoyable hunting practices. If we can't see it for ourselves then I believe God has many ways to show us a better life. If we recognize it we will be so much better off. Great decision sierracharlie338! If I can be of any help or encouragement to you PM me please.