Putting Freeze Dried Meals in Ziplocs?

TX_Diver

WKR
For those of you doing this are you pouring boiling water directly into the ziploc quart freezer bags?

My only motivation for this is to be able to split MH breakfasts into 2 servings as I don't need a whole one each morning.

I find mixed reviews online and see some people are doing this with no complaints, and some say even freezer bags aren't good for boiling water...

Thanks!

I make my own dehydrated meals, and do some repackaging as well, and I buy mylar bags off Amazon. They are fairly cheap, can pour boiling water directly into them, can be sealed with a Food Saver vaccum sealer, protect the food against light.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
I make my own dehydrated meals, and do some repackaging as well, and I buy mylar bags off Amazon. They are fairly cheap, can pour boiling water directly into them, can be sealed with a Food Saver vaccum sealer, protect the food against light.

Do you need to reseal them to let the food hydrate? I considered a foodsaver bag but didn't have a way to reseal it during hydration.

I'd just do this a week before the trip so I'm not worried about long term storage or light really. That's a good consideration though if I go further down that path!

Do you need to reseal them to let the food hydrate? I considered a foodsaver bag but didn't have a way to reseal it during hydration.

I'd just do this a week before the trip so I'm not worried about long term storage or light really. That's a good consideration though if I go further down that path!

The ones I buy do have a little ziplock kind of feature. And yes I pour the water in and hand seal and wait my 15 minutes.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Storage-Abso...e&qid=1722964066&sprefix=mylar,aps,103&sr=8-5

For those of you doing this are you pouring boiling water directly into the ziploc quart freezer bags?

My only motivation for this is to be able to split MH breakfasts into 2 servings as I don't need a whole one each morning.

I find mixed reviews online and see some people are doing this with no complaints, and some say even freezer bags aren't good for boiling water...

Thanks!
I do this every year. Never had an issue with ziplocs taking hot water. Not so much of a weight thing for me, but the space it takes up in the original packaging can be obnoxious. Plus, less waste to deal with.

Yeah, I do this all the time. Split out freeze dried meals or dehydrated meals from home into quart zip lock freezer bags. Pour boiling water directly into the bag. Never had any issues. I did make a coozie out of reflective bubble wrap insulation which helps keep it a bit warmer.

I found enough evidence online last year to be comfortable running Peak meals in ziploc quart freezer bags. It was safe from the research I saw, and saved me a ton of room and a respectable amount of weight in the pack for an 8 day planned trip. Paired it with the hyperlite mountain gear RePack to keep hands safe and meal warm during windy mountain mornings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I do this all the time. Split out freeze dried meals or dehydrated meals from home into quart zip lock freezer bags. Pour boiling water directly into the bag. Never had any issues. I did make a coozie out of reflective bubble wrap insulation which helps keep it a bit warmer.

Would be interested to hear/see more about this koozie.

Edit - never mind. I see there are a million videos on YouTube.

Last edited:

rickyw

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a specific brand you like?

Wyo_hntr

WKR
I found enough evidence online last year to be comfortable running Peak meals in ziploc quart freezer bags. It was safe from the research I saw, and saved me a ton of room and a respectable amount of weight in the pack for an 8 day planned trip. Paired it with the hyperlite mountain gear RePack to keep hands safe and meal warm during windy mountain mornings.

This is what I plan to do.

I do this with my freeze dried meals and it saves a good amount of space and nearly a pound for about 16-18 meals, depending on what you're buying.

I use one of the empty mylar bags that I've rinsed out at home to use as a koozy for my Ziploc to rehydrate in. Put that inside a down jacket or sleeping bag, and it's still too hot to eat after 20 minutes.

Some people think it's not safe..... Well those mylar bags are coated with plastic!!!

khunter

Lil-Rokslider

Ouch, $50 for a rehydration insulator.

n816kc

Lil-Rokslider
These are a little more reasonable.

Or just break out the reflectix and tape…