PSA--Why you should NOT use Silencer Central to purchase a suppressor

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I just used SC. To call it easy would be an understatement. Did my form 4 review, signature and submission with then yesterday. Totally easy for a “first” can buy to get a free trust established. I’m 100% sure it may be slower due to being the “easy button.” The slowest part of their process, so far, is the mailing and returning of fingerprint cards, which is where the SS kiosk option is nicer. Local notification once the eform is approved is no doubt slower than doing it yourself.

Having just been through the SC process recently figured I’d offer that experience at least. No saying they aren’t slower, just stupid easy.

Because eForm submissions from mid-Feb were getting approved in July. This can be seen by following the approval timelines here and on Reddit. There then seemed to be major shift at ATF--either they started slow-walking eForm approvals, took agents off the eForms, or just saw a major increase in apps. But, ultimately, it doesn't really matter. Had SC submitted my application when I completed the paperwork and purchased the can, I would have had it in July. Instead, they didn't submit until March and I got my can in Nov. I think I'm being pretty "conservative" in saying their delay only cost me a few mos. In reality, it cost me more like 5 mos.
Ok, I understand now. For your situation at that specific time the 2 weeks perhaps pushed you out of the temporary quick approval window and caused you to have additional wait time.
That wouldn’t be the case for anyone now though.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ok, I understand now. For your situation at that specific time the 2 weeks perhaps pushed you out of the temporary quick approval window and caused you to have additional wait time.
You’re right, it really makes no difference for anybody now as the 90 day wait period just isn’t a thing.

SC will still try to use that as a way to get you to buy their silencers though. When I ordered my dead air and my TBAC they were like “we have to order those, if you just buy another banish we can do your forms today”. I held off for the TBAC and dead air. SC got them ~ 13 days later and I had my e forms filled out and submitted that day.

In the end it dosent matter, I learned last time that when dealing with silencers, I just need to pay the money and forget about it. I have an app on my phone that tracks days and I check it occasionally. It’s also easier to wait when you already have a few silencers to mess with.

Oldffemt

WKR
Long story short, NFA items are still a pia to get. My first paper form took 19 months to be approved. And I didn’t use SC. Just have to submit your forms and forget about the $1000 item you paid for. It’s a government entity, it’s going to be a cluster eff. Vote to fix (repeal) it.

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
I don't understand the people here still saying SC has it's place because it's painless. I do understand if you don't have any dealers nearby, but with SS kiosks and individual dealers doing such a good job it just feels like SC and their crappy practices don't really have much use anymore.

I've used SS kiosk and two individual shops, and guess what? It was painless AND not unnecessarily slow.

Samson7x

WKR
I don't understand the people here still saying SC has it's place because it's painless. I do understand if you don't have any dealers nearby, but with SS kiosks and individual dealers doing such a good job it just feels like SC and their crappy practices don't really have much use anymore.

I've used SS kiosk and two individual shops, and guess what? It was painless AND not unnecessarily slow.

This.

With better dealers around who are "painless" and can ship direct (capitol armory, SS) there just isn't a reason that I see for choosing SC unless you want to purchase one of their banish cans that they push so much.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I'd bet they have far more satisfied customers than unhappy ones. Sucks for guys that have issues though.

MThuntr

WKR
I just bought their backcountry and based on the receipt and tax stamp purchase, I ended up getting 2 22K suppressors as part of their bogo sale instead of 1. I'm not sure they can neg on the deal since I paid for everything.

I haven't gotten the fingerprint stuff yet but I have horrible luck with background checks and such so I guess I'll see what happens.

TheHammer

WKR
I’m interested in purchasing their banish backcountry, based on data I’ve seen there isn’t many options in that 5.5” length and 1.6” diameter or narrower, plus sub 10oz category. But these posts are what kept me from it and I wasn’t interested in a “free” 22mag silencer. So my question is other than a delay in time frame which is uncertain to begin with and their sub par post purchase customer service. Is the SC product not as advertised? Was it poorly packaged and damaged in shipping?

Also has anyone purchased through SC after purchasing other places first? The finger printing then is not necessary and the process should be sped up? Trying to plan for next rifle season.

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
I’m interested in purchasing their banish backcountry, based on data I’ve seen there isn’t many options in that 5.5” length and 1.6” diameter or narrower, plus sub 10oz category. But these posts are what kept me from it and I wasn’t interested in a “free” 22mag silencer.
SC posted on Facebook that they were doing phone only specials for those who didn't want a 22 silencer. I called and after some discussion with the sales guy, was able to negotiate a free muzzle brake quick release adapter for the Banish Backcountry, a $100 savings, but not as good a "phone only special" as they implied on FB. I hope to have the silencer for next September and reading the posts above doesn't leave me with much optimism. Oh well, the process is easy and Silencer SHop didn't have any comparable short & light 30 cal silencers in stock.

Axlrod

WKR
Bought three cans from them in early 2022. Their CS was great I have no issues with them on that and their staff was great to deal with but even though they were good to work with their process, at least then, was slowwww and I waited over a year to get my cans. Also, they're suppressors are good quality but there's better cans out there with regard to noise suppression. If you want a direct thread 1.5 diameter can, get a TBAC Ultra 7 or 9. The Banish30 in 9in configuration is the same as a TBAC Ultra7 and not even close to the TBAC Ultra9. If you don't mind a little larger diameter can the Dead Air Nomad LT is a great can and if you want the best rated 30 cal can out there and don't mind an extra few ounces the new TBAC Magnus is a pretty awesome can. To do all over again, I would have gotten the DA Nomad LT and I'm seriously considering one now.
Unless my math is off, it doesn't add up. Bought in early 2022 and waited over a year? What year is it where you live?

• Haha
Reactions: wyo

TheHammer

WKR
SC posted on Facebook that they were doing phone only specials for those who didn't want a 22 silencer. I called and after some discussion with the sales guy, was able to negotiate a free muzzle brake quick release adapter for the Banish Backcountry, a $100 savings, but not as good a "phone only special" as they implied on FB. I hope to have the silencer for next September and reading the posts above doesn't leave me with much optimism. Oh well, the process is easy and Silencer SHop didn't have any comparable short & light 30 cal silencers in stock.
The email response I received was brief and stated no such additional deals. I wasn’t too thrilled with that. But if the overhead on that little 22 is 115$ I’d expect a 10% sale on the back country. If it was your first purchase I’d imagine not, especially with the lawsuits and legal power struggles currently at play! I have a local shop I’ve used for all my other cans. Doubt SC has any dealer hubs, maybe I’ll just get it sent through that place to speed things up if I can get a high country muley tag to use it on.

B23

WKR
Unless my math is off, it doesn't add up. Bought in early 2022 and waited over a year? What year is it where you live?
Ugh! Sorry about that, I meant early 2021. Thanks for catching that for me.

OP
D

Dave C.

Lil-Rokslider
I just used SC. To call it easy would be an understatement. Did my form 4 review, signature and submission with then yesterday. Totally easy for a “first” can buy to get a free trust established. I’m 100% sure it may be slower due to being the “easy button.” The slowest part of their process, so far, is the mailing and returning of fingerprint cards, which is where the SS kiosk option is nicer. Local notification once the eform is approved is no doubt slower than doing it yourself.

Having just been through the SC process recently figured I’d offer that experience at least. No saying they aren’t slower, just stupid easy.
I thought the same until I went through the process with a local dealer who had more cans to choose from, more knowledge and experience with the different cans, and it was just as easy with them. Not only that but they have more of a vested interest in keeping a local customer happy and I'm not worried about 4 mos of unnecessary delays.

OP
D

Dave C.

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe, maybe not. But there are still several wks of unnecessary delays with them that you won't get with other dealers. If that doesn't bother you, go for it.

OP
D

Dave C.

Lil-Rokslider

EXACTLY!

usmc8999

FNG
Because eForm submissions from mid-Feb were getting approved in July. This can be seen by following the approval timelines here and on Reddit. There then seemed to be major shift at ATF--either they started slow-walking eForm approvals, took agents off the eForms, or just saw a major increase in apps. But, ultimately, it doesn't really matter. Had SC submitted my application when I completed the paperwork and purchased the can, I would have had it in July. Instead, they didn't submit until March and I got my can in Nov. I think I'm being pretty "conservative" in saying their delay only cost me a few mos. In reality, it cost me more like 5 mos.
I completely see your logic. I had very similar situation with another shop. Very frustrating because not only did they delay me several months, I THINK they charged me extra tax stamp. their billing and invoice process so jacked I couldn't decipher enough to argue. Plus, they were holding my can hostage.

I ordered last month and they had to order from Tbac,still waiting because Tbac hasn’t made them yet,i also contacted Tbac and confirmed they were ordered the day I ordered thru SC.
It’s a process that takes time,maybe they bobble a few orders up sometimes but i haven’t seen any business that’s perfect.They are obviously doing something right.
Some people just don’t do their research beforehand,are impatient or just like to bitch,or all of the above.
So I will be patient while I wait and also check up on it from time to time.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I ordered last month and they had to order from Tbac,still waiting because Tbac hasn’t made them yet,i also contacted Tbac and confirmed they were ordered the day I ordered thru SC.
It’s a process that takes time,maybe they bobble a few orders up sometimes but i haven’t seen any business that’s perfect.They are obviously doing something right.
Some people just don’t do their research beforehand,are impatient or just like to bitch,or all of the above.
So I will be patient while I wait and also check up on it from time to time.
I ordered a TBAC ultra7 from them and they got it in about 2 weeks.