Silencer Central After eForm Approval

Buelrdr29

FNG
They do ship to your door. However once all the paperwork is done they ship to your home state to one of their FFL facilities. Then the local state FFL ships it signature required to your door. So the process is 2 steps of shipping.

Got the ATF approval email on 12/24/22. Suppressor arrived at my door 2/7/23. 45 days is way too long IMO, I won't be using SC again.

After approval, they will send notice via certified mail, then wait 7 days after delivery confirmation. I think they are required to do it this way.

No, they are not. As soon as they have the SN of the can and the buyer‘s info they can send the CLEO notice. That is how Silencer Shop, Capital Armory, and my local GS do it.

Dave C.

Lil-Rokslider
After approval, they will send notice via certified mail, then wait 7 days after delivery confirmation. I think they are required to do it this way.
This part is actually incorrect. I read the regulations and statutes when they made this claim to me. There is absolutely NOTHING that requires them to do it this way. It is simply their paranoid CYA attorneys who recommended they go through additional steps to protect themselves even though no retailer has ever been gone after by ATF for not notifying local LE. Local LE couldn't give a shit in my experience and even if they did, they have no recourse to prevent you from having a suppressor after going through the federal checks.
Additionally, there is NOTHING that says they must wait until your suppressor is approved by ATF before notifying local LE. Every other retailer in the country sends notification at the same time they submit to ATF. That satisfies any waiting period for local LE to receive and respond, even at the pace of USPS. SC simply wants to save the cost of a few stamps by not having to send a letter on the ATF denials.

WKR
No, they are not. As soon as they have the SN of the can and the buyer‘s info they can send the CLEO notice. That is how Silencer Shop, Capital Armory, and my local GS do it.

From capital armory's website:

"If you would like it shipped directly to your residence, there are a few extra steps involved. We will have you complete a digital ATF Form 4473. Once you complete the form, sign it digitally, and submit it, we will notify the CLEO in your state that we are conducting a non-over-the-counter sale to you. We provide your contact information but do not include the details of your order. We are required to wait seven days from the date they receive the notice before we can ship your item. Due to the CLEO notification and seven-day waiting period, the shipping process may take 2-3 weeks from the date you complete the ATF Form 4473. Once the waiting period has expired, we will ship your item to the address on your ID/DL/LTC, and you will receive a tracking number for the shipment. We ship all items via UPS ground with adult signature required"

The second notice is not the same LEO notification submitted with the stamp. It is unique to a non over the counter sale.

This part is actually incorrect. I read the regulations and statutes when they made this claim to me. There is absolutely NOTHING that requires them to do it this way. It is simply their paranoid CYA attorneys who recommended they go through additional steps to protect themselves even though no retailer has ever been gone after by ATF for not notifying local LE. Local LE couldn't give a shit in my experience and even if they did, they have no recourse to prevent you from having a suppressor after going through the federal checks.
Additionally, there is NOTHING that says they must wait until your suppressor is approved by ATF before notifying local LE. Every other retailer in the country sends notification at the same time they submit to ATF. That satisfies any waiting period for local LE to receive and respond, even at the pace of USPS. SC simply wants to save the cost of a few stamps by not having to send a letter on the ATF denials.
See above. I believe you are wrong here. Silencer Shop and lgs do not do the second notice because you are picking up at counter.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

"If you would like it shipped directly to your residence, there are a few extra steps involved. We will have you complete a digital ATF Form 4473. Once you complete the form, sign it digitally, and submit it, we will notify the CLEO in your state that we are conducting a non-over-the-counter sale to you. We provide your contact information but do not include the details of your order. We are required to wait seven days from the date they receive the notice before we can ship your item. Due to the CLEO notification and seven-day waiting period, the shipping process may take 2-3 weeks from the date you complete the ATF Form 4473. Once the waiting period has expired, we will ship your item to the address on your ID/DL/LTC, and you will receive a tracking number for the shipment. We ship all items via UPS ground with adult signature required"

The second notice is not the same LEO notification submitted with the stamp. It is unique to a non over the counter sale.

See above. I believe you are wrong here. Silencer Shop and lgs do not do the second notice because you are picking up at counter.
So in other words, if you want it shipped to your house, the process is pretty much exactly like SCs process.

Dave C.

Lil-Rokslider

Show me in the ATF Regulations where it says this process must take place AFTER the ATF approval has taken place.

WKR
Show me in the ATF Regulations where it says this process must take place AFTER the ATF approval has taken place.

Q6: When must the ATF Form 4473 be signed?
Part I used for over-the-counter sales must be completed, signed and dated by the buyer prior to delivery of the firearm. Part II (green form) used for intra-state non-over-the-counter sales must be completed, signed and dated in duplicate by the buyer at the time of sale. [27 CFR 478.124(c) and 478.124(f)]

Just like the 4473 you fill out at the lgs when you pick up an approved can upon completion of the sale. They won't let you fill it out prior to approval, either. They just don't have to mail it and wait 7 days.

Buelrdr29

FNG
Never got the notice of final shipping to my door. So missed the delivery on the 22nd. And postal service website did not show the attempt until today. So scheduled for redelivery. Hoping for tomorrow.

Dave C.

Lil-Rokslider
Q6: When must the ATF Form 4473 be signed?
Part I used for over-the-counter sales must be completed, signed and dated by the buyer prior to delivery of the firearm. Part II (green form) used for intra-state non-over-the-counter sales must be completed, signed and dated in duplicate by the buyer at the time of sale. [27 CFR 478.124(c) and 478.124(f)]

Just like the 4473 you fill out at the lgs when you pick up an approved can upon completion of the sale. They won't let you fill it out prior to approval, either. They just don't have to mail it and wait 7 days.
Neither one of those says they have to wait until the ATF approval is issued. "Completion of sale" is when payment is made and a suppressor serial number is assigned to the buyer. There is also NOTHING about waiting 7-10 business days from notification of LE. This is purely SC's atty's CYA. Did you actually look and read the regs or are you copying and pasting what SC is telling you???

Last edited:

WKR
Neither one of those says they have to wait until the ATF approval is issued. "Completion of sale" is when payment is made and a suppressor serial number is assigned to the buyer. Did you actually look and read the regs or are you copying and pasting what SC is telling you???
Show me the ATF definition that states Completion of Sale is as soon as the item is payed for, not including the transfer of ownership

Have you ever bought a silencer in a local gun shop or through SS? If so, you would know that you fill out a 4473 when you pick it up, after approval. That's over-the-counter.

For non-over-the-counter sales with interstate shipping, you fill it out online. That's the form you have to sign before they ship. That is whats mailed, thats what gets the 7 day wait. That's what I quoted.

Dave C.

Lil-Rokslider
Show me the ATF definition that states Completion of Sale is as soon as the item is payed for, not including the transfer of ownership

Have you ever bought a silencer in a local gun shop or through SS? If so, you would know that you fill out a 4473 when you pick it up, after approval. That's over-the-counter.

For non-over-the-counter sales with interstate shipping, you fill it out online. That's the form you have to sign before they ship. That is whats mailed, thats what gets the 7 day wait. That's what I quoted.
There isn't a definition. That's the point. It's a misinterpretation by their attorneys.

Bluefish

WKR
There isn't a definition. That's the point. It's a misinterpretation by their attorneys.
So two companies that do the approvals the same way are both wrong? Not defending them, but they have to deal with the ATF and we don’t.

if you don’t like how they do business, don’t support them. I used them for a can as they were the ones who make it. Probably won’t use again due to longer wait times, but overall the process worked well and in about 9 months I had a can.

Last edited:

WKR
18 u.s.c. § 922(c), 27 cfr 478.96(b), and atf procedure 2020-1

If you google search the above, you can download and read it. Below are excerpts from that ATF document that I think apply.

"Furthermore, 18 U.S.C. 922(t)(1) and its implementing regulations at 27 CFR 478.102(a) require
a licensee to contact NICS for a background check prior to completion of a firearm transfer to an
unlicensed person, and verify the identity of that person by examining a valid identification
document. The statute at 18 U.S.C. 922(t)(3) and implementing regulation at 27 CFR 478.102(d)
provide exceptions to these requirements if: (1) the transferee has presented a valid permit or
license (“alternate permit”) that: (i) allows the transferee to possess, acquire, or carry a firearm;
(ii) was issued not more than 5 years earlier by the State in which the transfer is to take place;
and (iii) the law of the State provides that such a permit or license is to be issued only after an
authorized government official has verified that the information available to such official does
not indicate that possession of a firearm by the transferee would be in violation of Federal, State,
or local law, and includes completion of a NICS background check; (2) the firearm is subject to
the provisions of the National Firearms Act and has been approved for transfer under 27 CFR

Part 479; or (3) on application of the licensee, in accordance with 27 CFR 478.150, the ATF
Director has certified that running a NICS background check is impracticable."

"9. Pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 922(c)(2), 27 CFR 478.96(b), and 27 CFR 478.124(f), the licensee
must, prior to shipment or delivery of the firearm, forward by registered or certified mail
(return receipt requested) a copy of the Form 4473, sworn statement, and valid alternate
permit or other required information to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) named
on such statement;
10. Pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 922(c)(3), 27 CFR 478.96(b), and 27 CFR 478.124(f), the licensee
must delay shipment or delivery of the firearm for at least seven days following receipt by
the licensee of either the return receipt evidencing delivery of the copy of the Form 4473
to the CLEO, or the return of the copy of the Form 4473 to the licensee due to refusal of
the CLEO to accept the same in accordance with U.S. Postal Service regulations; "