Pro/Anti-Hunting List?

Mojave

WKR
It's like the "made in China" thing or the made somewhere other than America thing.

At what point do you cut a company?

On one hand you have Kuiu who has put more sheep on the mountain with their conservation efforts.

On the other hand you have some of these new American made start ups, with their 100% made in America promise. What has a small start up done for conservation? Nothing yet, but will they?

How many American workers do they employ? Do they treat them well or pay them nothing? Does the union force quality measures to drop?

What countries get the cut and what don't?

Kahles makes their binoculars and lazer range finders in China. But their scopes are made in Austria in the Swarovski factory. Swarovski and Steiner make everything with their name on it in their factory.

I drive a Toyota seqouia. Almost every part of it was made in the USA with final assembly in the USA. But owned by a huge Japanese globalist company.

Ariat is all made in China or Mexico. But they are a huge supporter of rodeo, hunting, and country sports.

How do you quanitfy?

Only those that are anti-hunting, or those that are anti-everything you believe in?

I don't buy Ben and Jerry Ice Cream, I used to be a police officer and am retired military. But if someone gave me some I'd eat it. They have shown incredible support for cop killers, but some of it is good ice cream.

What do you do?

I have crap to do, I can't be all emotional and woke or anti-cancel culture on things. I have a life to live and am not that idealistic anymore.

If it works for you do it.

If it doesn't work for you keep on jiving.

Had an ex-girlfriend who loved fur, but was anti-trapping. So she'd buy 2nd hand furs in pawn shops or from suppliers.

My grandmother used to buy wooden bird cages at swap meets and yard sales. She did it because she didn't believe that birds should be in cages. When she died there were 30 or more bird cages in her garage.

Do what makes you happy!

I went to Jehovah's Witness church for a while. A lot of those people lock out anything that doesn't fit their agenda. They aren't anti-military, they just don't beleive in military service. Kind of problematic for someone in the military.

Gobbler36

WKR
My personal opinion is that these discussions get muddied by the idea that an entity is either "pro" or "anti."

It's possible that a company doesn't agree with your ideology on some point but does match your ethics on others.

Patagonia for example may be anti salmon hatchery but that doesn't make them anti fishing. They make waders... (Enter the "they will sell anything comment).

Likewise, I don't believe they are anti hunting based on not supporting predator/grizzly hunting. From what I've heard in the past, the owner or whatever was fine with hunting deer.

Obviously, that doesn't say what the opinions of their employees and other shareholders may be.

I'm not saying any one person should or should not support a given company but it is short sighted to rely on internet hearsay. You should decide where to spend your money based on whether a company supports your values and there are certainly plenty of players in the market.

I'm surprised that no one has yet brought up the Meat eater/Chernin group link. Does that make Steve and company pro or anti?

I personally don't have the time or shits to give to search out what company donated to what organization or whatever. I buy things I like when I have a need to fill. Along the way I make decisions about who gets my dollars based on my ideas at that moment. I have a local store that I quite like, but they don't sell AR style rifles. Black, detachable mags, but with a bolt. As far as I care, they still sell guns and I buy stuff there.

My point being, it's usually not black and white.
Not that I don’t agree with some of this but the people that truly want to destroy hunting have the time and the shits to search out and spend their money where it benefits their cause but why is it hunters simply don’t care? Or most conservatives for that matter
i bet most households have Disney Plus etc on their smart tv and facebook on their phones and these entities literally try and silence one side and enter their ideology but yet we all blindly support them funding their cause in the name of convenience all the while you wouldn’t catch a hippie with dreadlocks in dowtown Boise turning on Fox News or the outdoor channel.

Gobbler36

WKR
this kinda goes with people saying they wont support things made in certain countries. its a nice idea, but then we would never have anything.
Correct its not gonna happen cold turkey but if the collective decided to go USA first over time it would have to change right ?

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
Not that I don’t agree with some of this but the people that truly want to destroy hunting have the time and the shits to search out and spend their money where it benefits their cause but why is it hunters simply don’t care? Or most conservatives for that matter
i bet most households have Disney Plus etc on their smart tv and facebook on their phones and these entities literally try and silence one side and enter their ideology but yet we all blindly support them funding their cause in the name of convenience all the while you wouldn’t catch a hippie with dreadlocks in dowtown Boise turning on Fox News or the outdoor channel.
Exactly. The true anti-hunters are putting in this kind of effort. If pro-hunters aren't, then we will ultimately lose.

It's like the "made in China" thing or the made somewhere other than America thing.

At what point do you cut a company?

On one hand you have Kuiu who has put more sheep on the mountain with their conservation efforts.

On the other hand you have some of these new American made start ups, with their 100% made in America promise. What has a small start up done for conservation? Nothing yet, but will they?

How many American workers do they employ? Do they treat them well or pay them nothing? Does the union force quality measures to drop?

What countries get the cut and what don't?

Kahles makes their binoculars and lazer range finders in China. But their scopes are made in Austria in the Swarovski factory. Swarovski and Steiner make everything with their name on it in their factory.

I drive a Toyota seqouia. Almost every part of it was made in the USA with final assembly in the USA. But owned by a huge Japanese globalist company.

Ariat is all made in China or Mexico. But they are a huge supporter of rodeo, hunting, and country sports.

How do you quanitfy?

Only those that are anti-hunting, or those that are anti-everything you believe in?

I don't buy Ben and Jerry Ice Cream, I used to be a police officer and am retired military. But if someone gave me some I'd eat it. They have shown incredible support for cop killers, but some of it is good ice cream.

What do you do?

I have crap to do, I can't be all emotional and woke or anti-cancel culture on things. I have a life to live and am not that idealistic anymore.

If it works for you do it.

If it doesn't work for you keep on jiving.

Had an ex-girlfriend who loved fur, but was anti-trapping. So she'd buy 2nd hand furs in pawn shops or from suppliers.

My grandmother used to buy wooden bird cages at swap meets and yard sales. She did it because she didn't believe that birds should be in cages. When she died there were 30 or more bird cages in her garage.

Do what makes you happy!

I went to Jehovah's Witness church for a while. A lot of those people lock out anything that doesn't fit their agenda. They aren't anti-military, they just don't beleive in military service. Kind of problematic for someone in the military.
Well said.

I would add that the cancel culture shoes fit both feet. I bet a Venn Diagram of people complaining about cancel culture and people trying to make sure they don't support a company they perceive as not being pro hunting/2a/whatever would be close to a circle.

I don't care for some of the way Chick-fil-A runs their business, but the reason I don't go is that I don't really like their chicken. If they made awesome food I'd care a lot less.

Correct its not gonna happen cold turkey but if the collective decided to go USA first over time it would have to change right ?
sadly, I don't think it would change. I believe we are too far in to change it. what people don't realize is, it goes deeper than just avoiding a company. sure, you can buy USA only but all that really means is you're willing to pay more for the same crap. we would have to go back to the times when we actually produced materials, then we can truly buy US only.
like I said, all things go deeper so how far are we willing to go? if you can only go as far as the last piece, then you'll never get to the main problem.
there are many ways to win a war, and I'll tell you the way were trying isn't going to work. sometimes, feeding your enemy to the point they forget how to feed themselves is the best way. then when you do take that food away it kills them. and there's that saying, united we stand, divided we fall. where do you think we are in that statement?

Btaylor

WKR
Well said.

I would add that the cancel culture shoes fit both feet. I bet a Venn Diagram of people complaining about cancel culture and people trying to make sure they don't support a company they perceive as not being pro hunting/2a/whatever would be close to a circle.

I don't care for some of the way Chick-fil-A runs their business, but the reason I don't go is that I don't really like their chicken. If they made awesome food I'd care a lot less.
You dont like their chicken? Pretty sure your liker is broke.;)

IdahoBeav

WKR
The other side does this very well with woke cancel culture but for some reason “our“ side can never get organized the same way and just buy from people that hate our way of life
Is it worth stooping down to use these tactics?

Also, there are a many pro-hunting companies, organizations, people, etc. that proudly support anti-2A politicians.

I'm not out donating to the humane society but I'm not going to split hairs on whether some guy who makes backpacks doesn't like Jetboil. Or REI or whatever. How about BHA? What side are they on?

Is it all or nothing? Some of both?

I give money to RMEF and kuiu puts sheep on the mountain. That's about as deep as I'm going.

So who makes your list of acceptable companies?

Did you do a full analysis on all of your holiday shopping?

roymunson

WKR
I miss the days where a non human entity didn't have to take a stand on most issues. Just make good gear or a good product and I'll pay you for it.

Back when a democrat could eat dinner with a republican and, in spite of their differences, still be decent humans to each other.

Stopped purchasing patagucci years ago when the anti predator hunting stuff become obvious.

I try to avoid REI after the Vista outdoors pressure but still swing in if I need something in a pinch.

Dicks, well they don't really carry much for quality stuff so it's pretty damn easy to just go to scheels, sportsmans, etc. Even Runnings and Mills Fleet Farm are way better for hunting/shooting stuff.

It's easy to make minor changes in purchasing decisions when there are other entities that more closely align with your values and beliefs, being an absolutist on it would get tough in a hurry.

Q child

WKR
I get the whole "vote with your dollars" thing. But I also just don't have the will to care what these companies stand for. I can make things less political by not caring about the politics of others.

You dont like their chicken? Pretty sure your liker is broke.;)
Their spicy chicken sandwich is more "not bland" than "spicy"...

I also don't really eat fast food. I'll pay a few dollars more, and spend a few extra minutes to sit down at a restaurant.

IdahoBeav

WKR
Stopped purchasing patagucci years ago when the anti predator hunting stuff become obvious.
Once there is a non-binary predator hunting celeb, Patagonia will change on this.

However, they currently brand the best wading boots on the market. I haven't had anyone scream "librul" at me on the river yet.

Gobbler36

WKR
Is it worth stooping down to use these tactics?

Also, there are a many pro-hunting companies, organizations, people, etc. that proudly support anti-2A politicians.
IDK that’s something i also ask myself

They seem to be effective with those tactics, so i guess fighting fire with fire is possibly an answer but its a good question. I make sure my kids know 2 wrongs don’t make a right so I’m thinking about that now too….

ughhh is it bear season yet!

Gobbler36

WKR
Once there is a non-binary predator hunting celeb, Patagonia will change on this.

However, they currently brand the best wading boots on the market. I haven't had anyone scream "librul" at me on the river yet.
Haha yeah but wading boots and liberals and fly fishing you know where you let fish go are one in the same lol

PS this is meant to be funny

Q child

WKR
Haha. Life long Alaskan. Never even seen a Chick-Fil-A. One of these days when I'm down in America I'll have to track one down.