Pro/Anti-Hunting List?

Just because a company has a hunting line or advertises to hunters doesn't mean that they pro-hunting. They are like any other business and will make money where they can. Then spend a hunters money on anti-hunting stances. Patagonia is anti-military, yet have a pretty good line of military clothing that has/is issued. They try not to let it be publicly known too well though.

From my previous post, I took out a CC that was though The National Wild Turkey Federation. Few months later found out they CC company was anti-hunting, canceled the card and let the NWTF know I would not benefit them through the other company.

I live on the left coast where chinook salmon are a way of life and Patagonia has did nothing but hurt us. Anti hatchery fish and they want to shut em all down. The only way the Columbia River survives is with hatchery raised chinook salmon. We can’t sub-stain catch and keep fisheries without them.
70b2bf802df022750fc765e9825a450e.jpg

Here is a evil hatchery spring chinook salmon they and many other groups with deep pockets want to eliminate. No adipose fin indicator of hatch fish
Best eating salmon ever.
This fish fought just as hard or harder than any wild salmon I have caught
Patagonia makes good stuff but I definitely wouldn’t call them pro fish or hunt
derrick454

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always wondered how much of this is rumor and how much it mattered. there are alot of companies that are said to be anti, but their actions say otherwise. pretty much all major banks, CC and major stores are said to be anti. how do we fight that? I know at one time dicks and walmart were said to be anti, but I can still buy guns and ammo at both, so maybe the store owners stood up? I think it would be a shorter list to just name pro hunting businesses.

I always wondered how much of this is rumor and how much it mattered. there are alot of companies that are said to be anti, but their actions say otherwise. pretty much all major banks, CC and major stores are said to be anti. how do we fight that? I know at one time dicks and walmart were said to be anti, but I can still buy guns and ammo at both, so maybe the store owners stood up? I think it would be a shorter list to just name pro hunting businesses.
Dicks stopped selling AR and “assault” rifles, as did walmart I believe. Walmart said they would stop selling “assault” ammo, as well, but they still have about everything as far as I can tell. Dicks also came out with a pretty strong stance on abortion if that matters to you. Not to open another can of worms. You can probably look it up if anyone cares.

MattB

WKR
Bought my hunting license at REI… in Boulder!
It has been my experience that many companies get lumped onto these sorts of lists for pretty questionable reasons.

REI had a beef with Vista Outdoors/Savage a number of years back over AR’s and has given project-specific funding to some groups that are anti-hunting for purposes that were not anti-hunting (e.g. maintenance of public hiking trails).

On the flip side, REI has previously issued a press release saying it is not anti-hunting and also sells some fishing gear.

Is REI anti-hunting? I don’t think so but obviously some disagree.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
It has been my experience that many companies get lumped onto these sorts of lists for pretty questionable reasons.

This has been my experience.
There is also grey area between anti 2a and anti hunting. They are not mutually exclusive to each other.

My personal opinion is that these discussions get muddied by the idea that an entity is either "pro" or "anti."

It's possible that a company doesn't agree with your ideology on some point but does match your ethics on others.

Patagonia for example may be anti salmon hatchery but that doesn't make them anti fishing. They make waders... (Enter the "they will sell anything comment).

Likewise, I don't believe they are anti hunting based on not supporting predator/grizzly hunting. From what I've heard in the past, the owner or whatever was fine with hunting deer.

Obviously, that doesn't say what the opinions of their employees and other shareholders may be.

I'm not saying any one person should or should not support a given company but it is short sighted to rely on internet hearsay. You should decide where to spend your money based on whether a company supports your values and there are certainly plenty of players in the market.

I'm surprised that no one has yet brought up the Meat eater/Chernin group link. Does that make Steve and company pro or anti?

I personally don't have the time or shits to give to search out what company donated to what organization or whatever. I buy things I like when I have a need to fill. Along the way I make decisions about who gets my dollars based on my ideas at that moment. I have a local store that I quite like, but they don't sell AR style rifles. Black, detachable mags, but with a bolt. As far as I care, they still sell guns and I buy stuff there.

My point being, it's usually not black and white.

cmahoney

WKR
My personal opinion is that these discussions get muddied by the idea that an entity is either "pro" or "anti."

It's possible that a company doesn't agree with your ideology on some point but does match your ethics on others.

Patagonia for example may be anti salmon hatchery but that doesn't make them anti fishing. They make waders... (Enter the "they will sell anything comment).

Likewise, I don't believe they are anti hunting based on not supporting predator/grizzly hunting. From what I've heard in the past, the owner or whatever was fine with hunting deer.

Obviously, that doesn't say what the opinions of their employees and other shareholders may be.

I'm not saying any one person should or should not support a given company but it is short sighted to rely on internet hearsay. You should decide where to spend your money based on whether a company supports your values and there are certainly plenty of players in the market.

I'm surprised that no one has yet brought up the Meat eater/Chernin group link. Does that make Steve and company pro or anti?

I personally don't have the time or shits to give to search out what company donated to what organization or whatever. I buy things I like when I have a need to fill. Along the way I make decisions about who gets my dollars based on my ideas at that moment. I have a local store that I quite like, but they don't sell AR style rifles. Black, detachable mags, but with a bolt. As far as I care, they still sell guns and I buy stuff there.

My point being, it's usually not black and white.

I’d say donating to these guys makes you anti hunting.
99c95cf24d6cc13ec9f682a3f6d25c7b.jpg

I’d say donating to these guys makes you anti hunting.
I would agree that it's not in line with my personal opinions on predator hunting. And the kind of people that make those donations or belong to those organizations likely are anti hunting.

At some point I heard the owner (Meat eater podcast maybe) say he was not anti hunting but anti grizz/predator whatever.

Last edited:
Dicks stopped selling AR and “assault” rifles, as did walmart I believe. Walmart said they would stop selling “assault” ammo, as well, but they still have about everything as far as I can tell. Dicks also came out with a pretty strong stance on abortion if that matters to you. Not to open another can of worms. You can probably look it up if anyone cares.
I can't say I pay much attention at those stores but pretty sure I saw "bad" ammo at both however it's also been a while. I don't know if that's an anti stance or not though given the fed and state pressure. maybe they don't want to be on the negative side of that given the new lawsuits. that's a whole separate problem, forcing companies to be anti 2A.
I know bank of america is full on anti. my wife had an account with them and suddenly it was closed, under investigation, and funds frozen. took a lot of calls including govt. to get the money, never got any reason. I'm guessing they saw "evil" 2A related purchases.

I know bank of america is full on anti. my wife had an account with them and suddenly it was closed, under investigation, and funds frozen. took a lot of calls including govt. to get the money, never got any reason. I'm guessing they saw "evil" 2A related purchases.
How often does the Alaska Airlines credit card get promoted on here? It's financed by Bank of America.

I just think it’s gonna take a lot of work to be that passionate and idealistic and you’re probably gonna end up not buying anything or doing anything
This pretty much sums up my feelings on this.

Avoid or supports whoever you want.

Mojave

WKR
This pretty much sums up my feelings on this.

Avoid or supports whoever you want.

Gets to be a lot of work.

I used to be more idealistic and try and do this, but then I would find a reason to avoid a company.

Now I really only avoid companies if it is convenient.

this kinda goes with people saying they wont support things made in certain countries. its a nice idea, but then we would never have anything.

REI had a beef with Vista Outdoors/Savage a number of years back over AR’s and has given project-specific funding to some groups that are anti-hunting for purposes that were not anti-hunting (e.g. maintenance of public hiking trails).

On the flip side, REI has previously issued a press release saying it is not anti-hunting and also sells some fishing gear.

Is REI anti-hunting? I don’t think so but obviously some disagree.
Beef? They cut three product lines to the tune of 20+ million, trying to force Vista out of fire arm ownership.

The damn sure aren’t pro hunting. Their ideology of conservation work is trail maintenance to pet non profits. You won’t see them supporting habitat and access orgs like RMEF.

REI and Patagonia are same IMO. Act like they are pro hunting to tap into the Hunting market share… but in reality they are no where close in action or support.

It doesn’t matter REI is about to go same way as department stores. Good riddance.