Pro/Anti-Hunting List?

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
A better question would be what percentage of people buying gear in that price range are hunters?

I'd bet less than the population as a whole.
No way that is a good bet. Hunters are well-known for buying all kinds of expensive gear to give them an edge. I'd bet the complete opposite... Hunters make a disproportionately high number of expensive gear purchases compared to non-hunters.

No way that is a good bet. Hunters are well-known for buying all kinds of expensive gear to give them an edge. I'd bet the complete opposite... Hunters make a disproportionately high number of expensive gear purchases compared to non-hunters.
I know far more hunters who won't spend the money on premium gear...

It's easy to use our approach as the norm.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
I know far more hunters who won't spend the money on premium gear...

It's easy to use our approach as the norm.
So, you believe that less than 4.6% of the premium packs (for example) that are purchased are bought by hunters.... I'd highly disagree. But it's nothing either of us can prove... Edit: I proved it below.

But if we are truly only 4.6% of the population, then it is even more important that we try to be a vocal minority. And there's no better way to be "vocal" than with your wallet.

Last edited:
man, I really thought we had some #s in this game. seems everyone I talk to is a hunter of some sorts. then again if you don't hunt, I rarely have anything to say lol.
on the plus side, if the end ever happens then 95 % will starve to death lol. of course, then all the hunters would be left, and we don't get along lol.

So, you believe that less than 4.6% of the premium packs (for example) that are purchased are bought by hunters.... I'd highly disagree. But it's nothing either of us can prove...

But if we are truly only 4.6% of the population, then it is even more important that we try to be a vocal minority. And there's no better way to be "vocal" than with your wallet.
Yes.

Osprey, Kelty, Black Diamond, Pantigonia, Arcteryx, Mountain Hardware, Mystery Ranch...

Last edited:
A better question would be what percentage of people buying gear in that price range are hunters?

I'd bet less than the population as a whole.
Like I said before, we could better question and/or hypothetical it to death. Or, we could all admit that if hunters would stick to their guns and not buy anything from a company that didn’t support our hunting heritage and rights, we wouldn’t have many outspoken opponents to our way of life in the market. It’s that simple unless you just want to validate buying from them.

Yep. And a good percentage will validate buying from companies that openly oppose hunting. And, voting for politicians that openly oppose hunting.

Like I said before, we could better question and/or hypothetical it to death. Or, we could all admit that if hunters would stick to their guns and not buy anything from a company that didn’t support our hunting heritage and rights, we wouldn’t have many outspoken opponents to our way of life in the market. It’s that simple unless you just want to validate buying from them.
We're 5% of the market. Max.

All I'm saying is to have a realistic viewpoint of how much pull we really have.

We're 5% of the market. Max.

All I'm saying is to have a realistic viewpoint of how much pull we really have.

That’s exactly what I’m saying. Be realistic. Don’t lie to yourself for convenience. .

5% of what market? The outdoors market? The whole economy? What are you using to validate being lazy and supporting those that want to end your way of life.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
Yes.

Osprey, Kelty, Black Diamond, Pantigonia, Arcteryx, Mountain Hardware, Mystery Ranch...
Here, I've found some data.

Total "Outdoor Market" in the US estimated at $454B in 2021 (based on current dollars).

They break that into 3 categories: conventional activities (such as bicycling, boating, hiking, and hunting), other activities (such as gardening and outdoor concerts), and supporting activities (such as construction, travel and tourism, local trips, and government expenditures). The only one that is relevant in this context is the conventional activities since we are comparing hunting purchases to non-hunting purchases. A concert/construction project is unrelated.

Conventional activities accounted for about $159B.

Of the conventional activities, hunting/shooting/trapping (excludes the firearm and ammo industry) accounted for $10.8B.
So, hunting/shooting/trapping is about 6.8% of all conventional activities.

If you exclude a few items that I'd deem irrelevant (sailing, equestrian, recreational flying, RVing) plus the "multi-use apparel and accessories" (this includes backpacks, bug spray, coolers, general outdoor clothing, GPS equipment, hydration equipment, lighting, sports racks, sunscreen, watches, and other misc. gear and equipment - I exclude this because these items are not differentiated between the end-user's application, if you want to include this, then you'd need to apply the population percentage to this amount)....

Hunting/shooting/trapping would be about 15% of all comparable activities. If you removed the "shooting", then that is still 7.8% of all comparable activities.

Let me know what the bet is :cool:

2ski

WKR
I love how people decide if someone doesn't agree with them they're evil. That's what's wrong with the world. We all have different perspectives and it doesn't make anyone good or evil. It's all the human experience. Do I get why some people want to get rid of AR's, yes. Do I agree with them, no. Do I remember when none of us had them and were we just fine, yes. Do I think we need fully automatic weapons, no. Am I evil, no.

Do I find it funny that a rock star shoots up cans of beer when he used to party with drag queens? Yes. Some of you are so keen on looking for government manipulation you don't see everywhere else you get manipulated.

How about the single issue voters that vote based on the politicians that support the 2A or banning abortion but have crappy records for a slew of other things. They say things so inflammatory they are on the verge of "yelling fire in a crowded theatre". But when someone supports BHA and is a single issue voter based on support of public lands, you label them as evil or green decoys. Guess what guys, the world is not black and white, and I for one am here for it.

And don't get me wrong, my examples are all of things on the right because my audience here tends to be more on the right. The left is not immune either. I think AOC is just as bad as the Mar-a-lago man. I think it's funny that we legalize pot l, of which you can smoke all sorts of flavors while the same communities that give legalization the strongest support want to ban flavors of tobacco. Guess what, burning anything and putting it into your lungs isn't good for you.

Now I'm a craft beer drinker. I know a lot about beer. But excuse me while I go buy a 6 pack of Bud Light. Because there are worse things in the world than a beer company giving a person their own commemorative beer can. And I'll drink my beer while laughing at everyone that bitches about cancel culture while wanting to do exactly that to Bud. Hypocrisy at its finest.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
I love how people decide if someone doesn't agree with them they're evil. That's what's wrong with the world. We all have different perspectives and it doesn't make anyone good or evil. It's all the human experience. Do I get why some people want to get rid of AR's, yes. Do I agree with them, no. Do I remember when none of us had them and were we just fine, yes. Do I think we need fully automatic weapons, no. Am I evil, no.

Do I find it funny that a rock star shoots up cans of beer when he used to party with drag queens? Yes. Some of you are so keen on looking for government manipulation you don't see everywhere else you get manipulated.

How about the single issue voters that vote based on the politicians that support the 2A or banning abortion but have crappy records for a slew of other things. They say things so inflammatory they are on the verge of "yelling fire in a crowded theatre". But when someone supports BHA and is a single issue voter based on support of public lands, you label them as evil or green decoys. Guess what guys, the world is not black and white, and I for one am here for it.

And don't get me wrong, my examples are all of things on the right because my audience here tends to be more on the right. The left is not immune either. I think AOC is just as bad as the Mar-a-lago man. I think it's funny that we legalize pot l, of which you can smoke all sorts of flavors while the same communities that give legalization the strongest support want to ban flavors of tobacco. Guess what, burning anything and putting it into your lungs isn't good for you.

Now I'm a craft beer drinker. I know a lot about beer. But excuse me while I go buy a 6 pack of Bud Light. Because there are worse things in the world than a beer company giving a person their own commemorative beer can. And I'll drink my beer while laughing at everyone that bitches about cancel culture while wanting to do exactly that to Bud. Hypocrisy at its finest.
Who said they were evil?

What is wrong with me wanting to buy a product from Company A that donates money to elk conservation vs Company B that is anti-hunting?

there's nothing wrong with any of it, I commend you all for at least giving a crap.
in life there are pros and cons to everything, all I want is for us to be educated to the realities of both sides. only then can you truly make a difference. funny thing is, all the companies mentioned do not get my money anyway yet they're still in business. except jetboil, I love my flash lol.
@gtriple, its great that you did the research but you have to know how to read into that stuff. you realize that the info you provided shows the total market value. that includes jobs, manufacturing, resale etc. and those are the things you wish to fight and get rid of. so you must also see that by removing these things actually hurts us.
now, if we represent 15% of one facet of the world economy, what percent of the economy is outdoor related? so we are 15% of what percent?
to look at this another way, the US consumer spending is around 16B and we represent say 800K so what percent do you alone represent? roughly .25 % and of that 1/4 % what percent represents the one company you avoid?
so in reality, your 20$ purchase alone literally means nothing on a global scale.
keep in mind, these issues are global, not isolated. also, avoiding one bad company only to give to another worse company does nothing for us.

ThorM465

WKR
Classified Approved

This is exactly why we're losing and we will lose. While you just want to be left alone and for everybody to live life as they see fit, the other side will not rest until you're forced to live life as they see fit.

I haven't seen a single post accusing people of being evil for disagreeing with them. They're evil for trying to force us to live as they see fit, they're evil for what they're doing to children, they're evil for using social media algorithms to brain wash people, they're evil for gas lighting mass populations with opposing view points, they're evil for continuing a bloody war in Eastern Europe despite a peace deal being reached roughly a year ago... We are dealing with real evil in the world whether you believe evils exists or not.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
there's nothing wrong with any of it, I commend you all for at least giving a crap.
in life there are pros and cons to everything, all I want is for us to be educated to the realities of both sides. only then can you truly make a difference. funny thing is, all the companies mentioned do not get my money anyway yet they're still in business. except jetboil, I love my flash lol.
@gtriple, its great that you did the research but you have to know how to read into that stuff. you realize that the info you provided shows the total market value. that includes jobs, manufacturing, resale etc. and those are the things you wish to fight and get rid of. so you must also see that by removing these things actually hurts us.
now, if we represent 15% of one facet of the world economy, what percent of the economy is outdoor related? so we are 15% of what percent?
to look at this another way, the US consumer spending is around 16B and we represent say 800K so what percent do you alone represent? roughly .25 % and of that 1/4 % what percent represents the one company you avoid?
so in reality, your 20$ purchase alone literally means nothing on a global scale.
keep in mind, these issues are global, not isolated. also, avoiding one bad company only to give to another worse company does nothing for us.
I don't disagree. My one $20 purchase isn't going to make a difference. But you don't eat the elephant in one bite... you do it one bite at a time.

It's strange that posters here would try to dissuade anyone from trying to make a difference. Even if they aren't purposefully trying to dissuade people, what do you think the actual subconscious result is?

I hear ya, and lets just say we don't know the person on the other end. I have asked a few times here on RS who is willing to step and actually fight and the answer is always the same. no one. I have already done my part on bankrupting a massive reseller and am currently at the losing end on the fed level of a major global corp. so forgive me if I voice my opinion on how to win a battle and try to point you in the right direction.
using your analogy, you can't eat an elephant by chewing on its toenails. that one bite has to mean something. and using real life as part of that analogy, a single hyena has no effect on that elephant, but a pack drops em. even the small brained hyena knows that.
if anyone is dissuaded by hearing the facts then they were never Truely in this fight. if you cant accept that you could potentially lose a battle, and you have no understanding of the opposing side or any of the consequences then what do you think is gonna happen?
all in all, my posts were meant to see if anyone is really ready to stand up to the big guys. but everyone fails to realize that there's always a bigger man behind the little man. if you want to waste time on the little guy that's cool I guess. me, I'll continue to feed the little guy to someday use him against the big guy. big guys fall hard.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
I hear ya, and lets just say we don't know the person on the other end. I have asked a few times here on RS who is willing to step and actually fight and the answer is always the same. no one. I have already done my part on bankrupting a massive reseller and am currently at the losing end on the fed level of a major global corp. so forgive me if I voice my opinion on how to win a battle and try to point you in the right direction.
using your analogy, you can't eat an elephant by chewing on its toenails. that one bite has to mean something. and using real life as part of that analogy, a single hyena has no effect on that elephant, but a pack drops em. even the small brained hyena knows that.
if anyone is dissuaded by hearing the facts then they were never Truely in this fight. if you cant accept that you could potentially lose a battle, and you have no understanding of the opposing side or any of the consequences then what do you think is gonna happen?
all in all, my posts were meant to see if anyone is really ready to stand up to the big guys. but everyone fails to realize that there's always a bigger man behind the little man. if you want to waste time on the little guy that's cool I guess. me, I'll continue to feed the little guy to someday use him against the big guy. big guys fall hard.
I didn't disagree with you. My 2nd paragraph was not towards you, but towards others.

I'd actually welcome real insight and experience.