Pricey new custom string improperly installed by shop... should I insist on replacing the string or just have the shop twist the string?

thebadger

FNG
i had a new string installed on my bow in december, shot it a couple hundred times, had the peep adjusted and it was shooting well. the night before my first 3d shoot in march, the peep was suddenly way off so i hurried to my local shop and got it tweaked again. the bow was fine through the first half of the shoot then drastically changed so my shots were 10 yards low by the end of the day. after the tournament was over i took the bow back to the shop and showed them that the serving was separating already in the cams. they ordered a new string and installed it right away no charge. sometimes a string is just bad. if you trust your shop, trust them, if not, call them out on it and go somewhere else.

So just to throw some gas on the fire, I have received a "Brand New String", in the past, that was actually the wrong size. The string manufacturer " well known and highly respected" did not step up and replace the string. Even after the "Bow Shop" personnel took a try at it and confirmed it was definitely the wrong size string. Tape measures don't lie. Hard to throw money away in the trash. I have probably replaced 10-12 strings on my bows over the years.

So taking all the ribbing in stride. Shoot the bow, break the string in and run it back in and let the shop adjust it.

Should have one of these portable press with you and a spare (shot in) string in the truck if you are ever out in the back country on a Elk Hunt. Might be a long hike back to the truck but much better than a long drive home with tag soup waiting on you when you get home.

a misaligned peep does not constitute the shop replacing the string. Like others have said don't worry about the peep alignment for now and get several shots through it, then have the shop adjust it.

Then if the peep continues to twist on you. that's on the string maker, not the shop.

It's quite normal for even high-end strings to have the peep twist a bit till the strings settles after several shots. This is one of the very reasons I bought my own press. Can't see running back and forth to a shop for string maintenance. And with the price of gas today, a press will pay for itself.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
Yes get a press you won’t regret it and save money in the end. Like others have said I’ve purchased every string out there with so called zero creep or stretch and twist it’s all BS they all stretched and all twisted some. That’s what they do. I think what they are saying is more then likely the string was installed correctly and a peep twisting does not mean it was done wrong. Shoot 100 or 150 blank bale shots then go back have them add some twists and be on your way. Good luck. I will say I understand where you are coming from not knowing some things and they sold you on the common BS no twisting etc.. now you know for the next set of strings and cables…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brooks

WKR
About a year and a half ago I bought a string and cable from 60x custom strings, put them on and went hunting,it never did move. I don’t shoot all year round but if I have a tag I start shooting about this time of year.

I drew some tags for this year and have been shooting for a couple weeks now and my peep is still good. Im thinking about putting on some new strings now just because the ones I have on will be 2 years old shortly . I’ll go with 60x again just because they have been trouble free.

Rob5589

WKR
I should just ignore this lame humor, but I’m somewhat disappointed in this community.

Many great and helpful, generous responses.

And some that are just ugly and downright shameful for experienced members of a bow hunting community to even consider posting.

Go ahead and try to eat your young. You aren’t stopping me.
Yeah, definitely not my best. Oh, and you did receive plenty of helpful responses, including my first one.

I apologize for my gentle, sarcastic ribbing; it's what I do. You've assumed that some of us giving you the business is somehow, "ugly or shameful." I have to disagree. It's no different than a bunch of dudes around a campfire cutting up on one another. It's just what guys do. Good luck with your bow.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Yes get a press you won’t regret it and save money in the end. Like others have said I’ve purchased every string out there with so called zero creep or stretch and twist it’s all BS they all stretched and all twisted some. That’s what they do. I think what they are saying is more then likely the string was installed correctly and a peep twisting does not mean it was done wrong. Shoot 100 or 150 blank bale shots then go back have them add some twists and be on your way. Good luck. I will say I understand where you are coming from not knowing some things and they sold you on the common BS no twisting etc.. now you know for the next set of strings and cables…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol, I love these posts. Get a press and do it yourself. The guy doesn’t even know how a string settles but now should get a press and do it himself?

“Get a lift and replace the engine in your car, screw the automotive shop! DIYYYYYYYYYY BABY!!!”

87TT

WKR
You’re just a dick. Justify it all you want. Maybe you’re not this way outside of social media, but out of the mouth, the heart speaks.
The string just needed to be settled. That said the way you handled it with the bow shop was wrong just as calling names as a reaction to some ribbing.
1655062054147.jpeg

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
3 pages because you have never had a string replaced on a bow before? You are 100% over reacting. No matter what string I put on, I expect a little stretch. Some stretch a metric fuk ton, some very little. Shoot it a little then add or take out some twists. No big deal... Tell the bow shop you are sorry for being difficult and move on.

OR Archer

WKR
I should just ignore this lame humor, but I’m somewhat disappointed in this community.

Many great and helpful, generous responses.

And some that are just ugly and downright shameful for experienced members of a bow hunting community to even consider posting.

Go ahead and try to eat your young. You aren’t stopping me.
You came here looking for validation for your reaction to your situation and you didn’t get what you were looking for. The first 5 replies you received were completely void of any ribbing yet you pushed back looking again for validation for your reaction to the situation. Sorry but no one here is going to coddle you and give you a pat on the back because you felt wronged by a situation created by your lack of knowledge.

OP
S
Yeah, definitely not my best. Oh, and you did receive plenty of helpful responses, including my first one.

I apologize for my gentle, sarcastic ribbing; it's what I do. You've assumed that some of us giving you the business is somehow, "ugly or shameful." I have to disagree. It's no different than a bunch of dudes around a campfire cutting up on one another. It's just what guys do. Good luck with your bow

I’m all for good-natured ribbing. I do it all the time. It’s my love language. I’m also for ribbing to humiliate fools and moral degenerates. I know the difference.

OP
S
Treat other members with respect even when in disagreement with their ideas
You came here looking for validation for your reaction to your situation and you didn’t get what you were looking for. The first 5 replies you received were completely void of any ribbing yet you pushed back looking again for validation for your reaction to the situation. Sorry but no one here is going to coddle you and give you a pat on the back because you felt wronged by a situation created by your lack of knowledge.
I’m not looking to be coddled ****tard. As I’ve said, many of the responses have been great and generous, and gave me the counsel I was looking for. Your responses not being included.

Last edited by a moderator:

SDHNTR

WKR
The first time I drew the bow back, it was rotated. So not sure where you get off telling me what I did and did not do?

I’ll accept responsibility for being ignorantly difficult, and I’ll even apologize to the guy at the shop for my ignorance. But that doesn’t excuse his exaggerated sales pitch, which I’m willing to overlook.
Haha… well, looking back now at the title of my post, I can see now how it brought about the hostile reactions. Hindsight is 20/20.

I always seem to learn the hard way, walking that fine line between stupid and courage. And frequently step in the shit!
Bingo! Now that take some balls to admit. Bravo. Now what’s your next question?

SDHNTR

WKR
Also, any chance that bow spent any time left in a hot car? That’s a kiss of death for a bow. Settled or not it will stretch the begeezus out of your string and potentially cause other problems.

rclouse79

WKR
Sounds like you can bring it back to the shop and be just fine. I would rather be roasted by some tools I don’t know than make a fool of myself in person. Chalk it up as a lesson learned and move on.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Am I being difficult here? Out of line for thinking that this shop should have installed this expensive string properly without having to add twists?

I admit that I lack technical knowledge, so I want to appeal to you guys with much more knowledge and experience.

Thank you.

Welcome to RS. A few suggestions.
  1. If you ask a question, you need to be willing to accept the answer - even if it’s not the one you want to hear.
  2. Expressesing newb deference and admitting to your inexperience is (IMHO) the correct foot to start off on. And I’ve done it on many occasions (on RS and elsewhere). But stick with that frame of mind until you post on something more in your wheelhouse.
  3. Getting a meme reply from some of these guys is like what my mom said about being teased in school - it is a compliment.
  4. You can get away with a lot, but calling people (especially WKRs) names will make you a short timer. I’d suggest a retraction and perhaps an apology. Serious. Staying on as a member will benefit you, so I’d eat some crow.
Good luck with the string.