Replacing Mathews Strings

I went to a bow shop today to get my strings replaced on a V3x 33. The shop told me they would have to order the saddle strings from mathews and not use the custom string material. I’m not a string expert by any means, but does this sound right? Also, does it not defeat the purpose of replacing the strings if a portion of the old ones are left on?

That's a new one for me. I don't see why a custom string maker couldn't/wouldn't make the yokes (the short pieces of string looped over the yoke ring/saddle/donut and hooked to both sides of the cam) along with the rest of the string/cable set. My last purchase was a custom set from Catfish for my VXR 31.5 (same string/cable design as a V3x), and it included yokes.

Maverick1

WKR
I went to a bow shop today to get my strings replaced on a V3x 33. The shop told me they would have to order the saddle strings from mathews and not use the custom string material. I’m not a string expert by any means, but does this sound right? Also, does it not defeat the purpose of replacing the strings if a portion of the old ones are left on?
Sounds like a newish bow-technician was told "the strings have to be replaced by factory strings", which is not accurate. Plenty of aftermarket strings available, sometimes at a higher quality than the factory supplied strings. Some guys even have a strong enough preference for one string manufacturer, so they replace the factory strings upon purchase of a new bow even, which is a bit much IMO, but hey, whatever! (There are some components that should be replaced with factory/OEM components - limbs, cams, draw stops, etc. - but strings is definitely NOT one of those items.)

Good luck this season!

I'm not completely following.

You saying you ordered replacements and brought them in with the bow to have them replaced?

They wanted to order yokes from Mathews?
Or did you need new yoke donuts?

OP
B
I'm not completely following.

You saying you ordered replacements and brought them in with the bow to have them replaced?

They wanted to order yokes from Mathews?
Or did you need new yoke donuts?
The shop makes/stretches their own strings but said that they can’t do that for the saddle strings and they would have to order those from Mathews. The bow and all its components are in great shape. I just wanted to replace the stock zebra strings as I noticed them stretching and have to readjust my sight every 200 shots or so.

SeanM243

FNG
I'm curious about this, I just picked up my V3X 29 from the shop after getting all new strings and cables. My stock ones were trashed after ~1800 shots. I do notice that my new cables have Mathews yoke donuts but I'm wondering if they came in the new kit?

I'm curious about this, I just picked up my V3X 29 from the shop after getting all new strings and cables. My stock ones were trashed after ~1800 shots. I do notice that my new cables have Mathews yoke donuts but I'm wondering if they came in the new kit?
I haven’t seen any string/cable sets come with new yoke donuts. The donuts typically get reused when changing the string/cables, so the ones on your bow are probably the original ones installed by Mathews at the factory.

The shop makes/stretches their own strings but said that they can’t do that for the saddle strings and they would have to order those from Mathews. The bow and all its components are in great shape. I just wanted to replace the stock zebra strings as I noticed them stretching and have to readjust my sight every 200 shots or so.

Must be their jig doesn't go short enough.

New to me, I hadn't heard that before. I don't know if Mathews will even sell just the yokes.

Luked

WKR
Just had mine replaced buy the local builder about a month ago.
He did all mine strings, cables and yokes. Did a great job on them also.
Any set i have seen from Gas, Catfish, Thredz all had the yokes

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
So, they want to just replace your main string with whatever they make there themselves, but order the cables from Mathews?
That's plain weird.
I guess it depends on your expectations and/or if they're the only bow shop around and you don't want to burn any bridges with them.
If you basically are fine with another string set that will be like the factory for the most part, then no big deal. But, if you want a pre-stretched aftermarket set that will keep a tune for way longer than a factory set, then I'd walk away and order a set yourself from someone like Catfish, Threadz, Gas, etc.

OR Archer

WKR
🤦‍♂️ that’s just plain dumb. Order a set from a reputable maker. They’ll build you a complete set including the yokes. I personally wouldn’t put parts of two different string sets on my bow unless it was an emergency rebuild to get back hunting.

SeanM243

FNG
My V3X 29 just got a complete set of Gas strings and cables from my local shop. I'm looking at the donuts and they look brand new. They did a fantastic job. I'm going to see them tonight and I'll ask about it, he would know far better than I do.

CB4

WKR
I had the local shop to me that I bought the bow from tell me the same thing. Now they dont get any of my business. They also questioned why I would use aftermarket strings vs Zebra.

Defiantly get a good set ordered from someone... I really like GAS. But tons of other good string makers.

06 SB

FNG
My V3X 33 is due for a new set and I ordered a set from Catfish. I have not put them on yet but have used Catfish for the multiple string replacements on my 2006 Switchback.

Yeah that's not really true. I work in a bow shop and we order the 5 part custom strings from 4 different manufactures without any issues.