Pricey new custom string improperly installed by shop... should I insist on replacing the string or just have the shop twist the string?

I've been shooting a compound bow for the past three years and freaking love it! Admittedly, I lack a lot of technical knowledge, although I'm picking things up little by little via trial and error.

Recently, I had my zebra string on my VXR replaced with a Rogue 21 premium custom string. Pricey for sure, but the tech sold me on how it's engineered to be a top of the line, minimal stretch string. I've had pretty good experiences at this shop, so I trusted his expertise (which may have been a mistake).

Ordered the string. Picked my bow up yesterday. Took it home to find that the peep is rotated. I tried messing with the D-loop, but it's still not right. Very disappointed.

Called the shop. Bow tech guy said it was probably improperly installed and that he will have to add twists to the string and then apologized for the inconvenience.

I pushed back, telling him that I understand that mistakes happen, but I was hoping that they would assume responsibility by replacing the string and installing it correctly, especially considering the price I paid. The guy immediately became defensive, and suggested that I just bring the bow back in and they'll "fix it."

Am I being difficult here? Out of line for thinking that this shop should have installed this expensive string properly without having to add twists?

I admit that I lack technical knowledge, so I want to appeal to you guys with much more knowledge and experience.

Thank you.

Norm555

WKR
It’s super easy for them to twist the string and get it correct for you and not a big deal at all. Also all strings will stretch so the peep might rotate a little bit in your first 150 shots or so as they settle. My bow shop tells me to come back after letting the string settle so they can make sure everything is dialed.

Brooks

WKR
They didn’t mess the string up it just needs a twist or two, get it lined up then you need to shoot it for a week or so and it will either be settled in or need another twist. Some strings are good to go on day one and some need a twist after a few shots.

No shop is going to give you a new string.That’s like buying gas for your truck and only getting 17 mpg instead of 22 mpg so you want the gas station to pay you for a tank of gas.

svivian

WKR
Lmao 🤣 your strings are fine they just need to settle after a few shots and twist them till your peep centers

I would shoot it as is 100 times or so to get everything settled in then take it back and have the shop adjust the peep alignment.
This x100000

As you said, you’re a newb. Lol
All strings have some what of a “break in period” where things settle in as strings adapt to the pressure of your bow. A quality string won’t move MUCH after say 100 shots.
If you have to, rotate your d loop around towards the orientation of the peep to help you shoot those 100. Then back to the shop. And forget trying to get them to give you a string for no reason at all. Lol

OP
S
They didn’t mess the string up it just needs a twist or two, get it lined up then you need to shoot it for a week or so and it will either be settled in or need another twist. Some strings are good to go on day one and some need a twist after a few shots.

No shop is going to give you a new string.That’s like buying gas for your truck and only getting 17 mpg instead of 22 mpg so you want the gas station to pay you for a tank of gas.

Upon purchase, the tech sold me on the custom string as being “no stretch.” He said two shots and it’s settled.

I’m now realizing he was just being a salesman. Not sure how your analogy applies here when he admitted fault, and really probably wasn’t being honest with me upfront, in order to make the sale.

If I knew that I should expect this expensive custom string to stretch just like my last one, I wouldn’t have been disappointed. Hence, the purpose of the post and the importance of resisting the urge to take advantage of someone’s ignorance to make money.

Like above ots expected to have this happen in the first 100 shots, but once that string settles it might not have to be touched for a year or two. Yeah two shots was exagerating probably but once you hit 100 shots you should be good to go for a long time. You dont know what you dont know, now you learned a little. Worse case let it motivate you into buying your own press and let the learning continue. Best of luck and im sire youll love the string once it gets restraightened.

Rob5589

WKR
All strings will stretch. The material and how it's made will dictate how much. Your first post stated a "minimal stretch string." Your next stated "no stretch." Most experienced shooters will shoot 50-100 shots so the string settles, double check specs, install peep, and it's unlikely to move. And if it does, it will be minimal. Shoot it a bunch, take it back for a couple twists.

sndmn11

WKR
If I knew that I should expect this expensive custom string to stretch just like my last one, I wouldn’t have been disappointed. Hence, the purpose of the post and the importance of resisting the urge to take advantage of someone’s ignorance to make money.

There is creep and there is stretch. The former is continuous, the latter is really just the 20ish strands of string material figuring out where they are going to settle next to each other. This is why shooting in a string is needed for final aligmentment of a peep sight. Adding or subtracting a half or full twist or two is an alignment thing and not a creep thing.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
Yes. You are being unreasonable. I bet you that peep was straight when it left the shop. You shot it a few times and it rotated. ALL strings will settle in. Any experienced archer will tell you that a re string is a two step process. There is no way around it, despite any marketing claims. A new string gets installed and set back to factory specs. You take the bow home and shoot it 1-200 times as it settles in. Then you take it back to the shop to have it set back to spec. Then and only then do you start tuning. Don’t blame your lack of experience or understanding on the shop. I highly doubt they did anything wrong.

It was likely properly installed, it just wasn't shot enough to settle the fibers.

Can take a few shots, some it's 2, might be 40-50.

Once it's settled in you should be good.

Stretch is what happens under tension, it's why strings are measured under tension. Creep is when they start to permanently elongate, causing issues that usually first show up as peep rotation. Once creep starts it's time for replacement.

sndmn11

WKR
BEYOND extremely difficult! Haha.

I wasn’t a dick to the guy.

"I pushed back, telling him that I understand that mistakes happen, but I was hoping that they would assume responsibility by replacing the string and installing it correctly, "

I've never eaten caviar, so I sure as heck wouldn't tell the caviar chef something was done incorrectly and that they made a mistake. Then the part about responsibility...

OP
S
"I pushed back, telling him that I understand that mistakes happen, but I was hoping that they would assume responsibility by replacing the string and installing it correctly, "

I've never eaten caviar, so I sure as heck wouldn't tell the caviar chef something was done incorrectly and that they made a mistake. Then the part about responsibility...

CAVIAR!

When Chef Boyardee tells me that my spaghetti Os are shaped liked circles, but then I open the can and see that they’re shaped like Boobies, it makes me wonder WTF is going on! Is Chef Boyardee shitting me?

Last edited:
OP
S
Yes. You are being unreasonable. I bet you that peep was straight when it left the shop. You shot it a few times and it rotated. ALL strings will settle in. Any experienced archer will tell you that a re string is a two step process. There is no way around it, despite any marketing claims. A new string gets installed and set back to factory specs. You take the bow home and shoot it 1-200 times as it settles in. Then you take it back to the shop to have it set back to spec. Then and only then do you start tuning. Don’t blame your lack of experience or understanding on the shop. I highly doubt they did anything wrong.

The first time I drew the bow back, it was rotated. So not sure where you get off telling me what I did and did not do?

I’ll accept responsibility for being ignorantly difficult, and I’ll even apologize to the guy at the shop for my ignorance. But that doesn’t excuse his exaggerated sales pitch, which I’m willing to overlook.

3forks

WKR
To the OP, I know just how you feel.

I am new to archery and bought a Hoyt RX7 because it was the most expensive bow on the rack. Because the Hoyt is the most expensive, it should be the most accurate, right?

Well, I took the bow to my local range and my first shot wasn’t in the 12 ring!

Naturally, I called the shop and informed them either the bow was defective, or they had built It and tuned it incorrectly, and told them I was expecting them to give me a replacement. They informed me that there is nothing wrong with the bow and that I should probably get some coaching.

Never been so pissed in my life!

I think the OP is being way too easy on the shop. Clearly the stretchy string has ruined the cams, riser and limbs of his bow, he should demand they replace the strings AND the bow and be glad he doesn't ask for punitive damages.