Pricey new custom string improperly installed by shop... should I insist on replacing the string or just have the shop twist the string?

MattB

WKR
I've been shooting a compound bow for the past three years and freaking love it! Admittedly, I lack a lot of technical knowledge...
You could have stopped right there, although I would be slightly peeved at the sales guy for potentially overselling the low creep aspect of the string and suggesting that it was due to it being improperly installed. It is very common for a strings to creep for a bit when being shot in and sometimes if they just sit under tension, but unless it keeps moving once it settles it is not a big deal.

Creep has virtually nothing to do with whether the string/cables were installed correctly. Initial creep is due to the string material lengthening, but if it keeps moving it could be due to faulty construction.

OP
S
I should just ignore this lame humor, but I’m somewhat disappointed in this community.

Many great and helpful, generous responses.

And some that are just ugly and downright shameful for experienced members of a bow hunting community to even consider posting.

Go ahead and try to eat your young. You aren’t stopping me.

As one who is generally quick to jump on the meme train, I'd say you came in pretty brash, but not terrible. Unfortunately you got caught up in the Saturday night fever (bored looking for entertainment).

Stick around a bit, generally this place doesn't require that thick of skin, tho it can become archerytalk sometimes.

Now, had you doubled down on some responses, it would have gotten ugly.

OP
S
As one who is generally quick to jump on the meme train, I'd say you came in pretty brash, but not terrible. Unfortunately you got caught up in the Saturday night fever (bored looking for entertainment).

Stick around a bit, generally this place doesn't require that thick of skin, tho it can become archerytalk sometimes.

Now, had you doubled down on some responses, it would have gotten ugly.

Thank u sir.

PREZ

FNG
Putting a twist in the string to turn your peep will take a shorter amount of time than making your post. It's not a big deal.

OP
S
To the OP, I know just how you feel.

I am new to archery and bought a Hoyt RX7 because it was the most expensive bow on the rack. Because the Hoyt is the most expensive, it should be the most accurate, right?

Well, I took the bow to my local range and my first shot wasn’t in the 12 ring!

Naturally, I called the shop and informed them either the bow was defective, or they had built It and tuned it incorrectly, and told them I was expecting them to give me a replacement. They informed me that there is nothing wrong with the bow and that I should probably get some coaching.

Never been so pissed in my life!

I never said I was pissed off.

I had wrong preconceived notions of what a high quality, custom string is… largely based on how the string was sold to me.

How would you classify someone who intentionally tries to embarrass someone who is seeking knowledge and counsel?

Hope you feel good about yourself.

4rcgoat

WKR
Seems to be a lot of misconceptions in the archery world right now,too many cooks in the kitchen. People coming into archery are being sold a lot of nonsense, so don't take it personally. For reference, I put new strings on,shoot the bow at close range with no peep or sight for around 100 shots before installing the peep. Good luck,it's a deep rabbit hole.

OP
S
Look at the positive…this shit show of a post got you your 10 posts. Now you can go onto the classifieds and buy gear that you’re unhappy with!
Haha… well, looking back now at the title of my post, I can see now how it brought about the hostile reactions. Hindsight is 20/20.

I always seem to learn the hard way, walking that fine line between stupid and courage. And frequently step in the shit!

3forks

WKR
I never said I was pissed off.

I had wrong preconceived notions of what a high quality, custom string is… largely based on how the string was sold to me.

How would you classify someone who intentionally tries to embarrass someone who is seeking knowledge and counsel?

Hope you feel good about yourself.
In all honesty, I thought you may get a laugh out of it while at the same time providing you with somewhat of an example of why you’re expectations were wrong.

But, to answer your question - I would classify myself as a helpful person with a sarcastic sense of humor.

Have you thought about starting another thread asking for members to advise you on whether we’d be too embarrassed to bring that bow back into the shop after you over-reacted and told them you wanted a new string (I know, I know… you’re going to say you didn’t overreact) or whether it’s going to be easier on your ego to just find a new shop?

OP
S
In all honesty, I thought you may get a laugh out of it while at the same time providing you with somewhat of an example of why you’re expectations were wrong.

But, to answer your question - I would classify myself as a helpful person with a sarcastic sense of humor.

Have you thought about starting another thread asking for members to advise you on whether we’d be too embarrassed to bring that bow back into the shop after you over-reacted and told them you wanted a new string (I know, I know… you’re going to say you didn’t overreact) or whether it’s going to be easier on your ego to just find a new shop?
You’re just a dick. Justify it all you want. Maybe you’re not this way outside of social media, but out of the mouth, the heart speaks.

Brooks

WKR
You’ve got a good string. Take it back to the shop and shoot it, have the shop do what ever they need to do to it and shoot it some more until it’s perfect. Next string you buy you will know just how it all works, then you can get on here and help the next guy out who ask about his peep not lining up correctly with his new string. Good luck.