2023 At Home Archery Shop and New Bow

Well after about 10 years in on this archery journey it looks like 2023 is going to be the year I begin working on my own bows. I have built my own arrows for a while now and last year I purchased a bow vise.
Roughly 3 years ago I was pretty fed up with my local archery shops and the lack thereof and was about to just take the plunge and buy a press etc. then a new shop came into town with a really solid guy who had previous experience at a bigger pro shop. So the last few years I leaned on him pretty hard and he was extremely helpful, I owe allot of my growth in archery recently to him. Unfortunately he left town and now I find myself without a "pro shop".

I don't want to rag on the specific places but I'll just say my two options I now have are both a 30 min drive into town 1 is at Sportsman's and isn't even a consideration and the other is at a more local chain store and is actually fairly decent but I cant rely on it.My closest option for what I would consider a true pro shop is Spokane Valley Archery a 2 hour drive. I'll likely be driving up there or possibly even further down to Boise or Missoula to test some of the 2023 bows (I am left handed) but I cant afford to be that far away from a shop if I need work done to my bow in the middle of season.

Long story short I am a DIY guy by nature and not to toot my own horn but do all of my own mechanic work, carpentry, etc. so it seems its only natural I work on my own archery equipment. So I think I am finally at the point if I want to continue to progress my archery/hunting game I need to work on my own bow to have a greater understanding and more control over my setup at least then if something happens its my own damn fault!

So all that said I'm going to be looking to purchase a press and will do some research on that, the easy green comes to mind. The big question for me right now is I have never bought a brand new bow but I am looking to upgrade. For those that work on their own bows how much do you take that into consideration when picking one brand over the other? There is definitely some newer tech out there now that looks to make the tuning process easier but if I am going to go full send with all the equipment does that even matter? like I said I am not a buy a new bow every year or even every other year kind of guy so I want to find a system I like and get intimate with it. Further more being left handed and living in rural Idaho even being able to go somewhere and be able to shoot multiple brand of bows is an issue. Ideally I would like to shoot every single bow that meets my specs and pic "the one" but that is seemingly impossible. For example I am really interested in the Elite Omnia but I am not sure I will even be able to get my hands on a left handed model without ordering one.

How are guys in similar situations handling this? I think its great that Bow manufacturers support local shops but when you don't have a local shop its frustrating, at the risk of sounding like a typical millennial not gonna lie if I could order bows off amazon test em out and only keep the one I liked I'd do it in a heart beat. Maybe there is one I am not aware of but its a little surprising someone hasn't started a program where a buyer can have a demo bow shipped to their door and test it out similar to other direct to consumer products. Anyways I'll quit rambling but would appreciate your thoughts!

Last edited:
having a press at home is great, as is a draw board + scale. With that combo, you can do anything that ever needs done to a bow.

The tuning features are nice, but don't help you with a string change. Matthews had a system for easy string swaps, but that doesn't help if you need to swap tophats. So, buy whatever bow you want, and tune it the way it needs to be tuned.

feanor

WKR
The Omnia would help with ease of tuning. But researchinstuff is right- once you go to change a string, you need a press. I’ve got all the things I need to work on bows, and it’s super nice to have it. You don’t need to panic when you need something done, and you can tinker at length with anything on the bow.

It’s worth the investment in the tools if you plan to shoot long term, or have family who may need to get set up.

Shooting/testing the bow is critical. You don’t want to order something without knowing how it shoots and feels. That’s why there are so many varying opinions on bow manufacturers etc. it’s not that they’re are bad bows per se- it’s just a personal preference thing.
Build the shop!

TheTone

WKR
I’m guessing we live pretty close to each other based on your post and that I just bought a bow from the chain you mention. The set up job I rate as so-so but the bow does seem to shoot well at this point.

If your question is if the ez-green is the press to get, then yes, I think it is.

I think it's pretty unreasonable to expect to send bows out to be demo'd. Too much can happen. Most of the guys I know who shoot with the wrong hand end up ordering bows without getting to shoot them.

APA is the only bow manufacturer I know of with a direct-to-customer test drive program. If there's no APA dealer within 60 miles, they'll ship a bow to your door and give you 5 days to decide whether or not to keep it. Shipping both ways is on the customer's dime.

OP
Eastman528
I’m guessing we live pretty close to each other based on your post and that I just bought a bow from the chain you mention. The set up job I rate as so-so but the bow does seem to shoot well at this point.
Haha ya... I figured someone would figure that out. Not saying anything bad about the business I spend way too much money there for things other than archery. It just is what it is and that's not a dedicated archery shop. It all depends on who is working there and I will say it seems the one guy working there now knows his stuff. It's entirely possible I buy a bow from them if they end up having what I want.

OP
Eastman528
If your question is if the ez-green is the press to get, then yes, I think it is.

I think it's pretty unreasonable to expect to send bows out to be demo'd. Too much can happen. Most of the guys I know who shoot with the wrong hand end up ordering bows without getting to shoot them.
That is probably the press I have heard the most about and likely what I'll end up with.
I agree with what you are saying and understand the reasoning why they don't just a crazy idea!
I'm starting to see why, might be a while before I can get my hands on most the bows and that's with allot of effort on my part. I could shoot one the right way but that might just leave me more confused.

TheTone

WKR
Haha ya... I figured someone would figure that out. Not saying anything bad about the business I spend way too much money there for things other than archery. It just is what it is and that's not a dedicated archery shop. It all depends on who is working there and I will say it seems the one guy working there now knows his stuff. It's entirely possible I buy a bow from them if they end up having what I want.
So is Justin gone from DB? I definitely trusted him with my stuff