Pistol Cans

What is the consensus on handgun cans? Primary use would be for the nightstand (primarily 9 but have a 10mm too), and of course just shooting for fun. I have paper work done on a griffin bushwhacker 46 (not filed yet), but it was more of a at the counter impulse and now second guessing it. The bushwhacker is billed as a do all, but not sure I need that. Is there a better pistol (read for a handgun, not pcc's or sbr's) specific can out there?

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
I have been buying cans for 20 years, and I have several. Two of those are handgun cans. In my view they are basically a novelty. You can't practically carry a handgun with a suppressor attached, which makes it not useful for concealed or open carry. It is fun at the range.

In terms of home defense, yes, you can keep a suppressed pistol on your nightstand or maybe in a large drawer. That assumes that you are able to leave an unsecured firearm laying around your house. For me, that is a no go, as I have kids. Even if you don't you will sometimes have visitors, etc.

I find a pistol with a can attached usually won't fit in your typical quick access safe (gunvault, etc). By the time you have a firearm that long, you might as well go with a PCC, rifle, shotgun.

YMMV.

Last edited:

B23

WKR
I have a Dead Air Ghost and like it a lot. It's modular so you can run it in two different lengths.

BrBa

Lil-Rokslider
Have an Osprey 45 2.0 on the clock even though I don't own anything with a larger diameter than 9mm. To me it just made the most sense in case I decide to get a 10mm or .45 some day - doubtful, but nice to know it would work. Agree that a pistol can is mostly a novelty/range toy. Not really practical for a home defense pistol, but one could make it work.

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Dear Air Ghost and a Silencerco Omega 9k. The 9k is shorter and a little less obtrusive, but I agree with the above, they are really more of a novelty. For home defense, it’s easier to suppress a pistol braced AR and much more shootable, at least for me.

SloppyJ

WKR
I picked up a Deadair Mojave for my wilson combat EDC x9 but it will pull double duty on my AR9 and my 300blk.

Samson7x

WKR
Check out TBAC fly9. Really light and fits in my bedside safe in the short configuration. Also look at the silco specter 9. It will be my next handgun can. Also short and light.

BrBa

Lil-Rokslider
Aside from the extra length making the handling a bit awkward for indoor use, the wall thickness on a 1/2×28 threaded 9mm barrel is only about 4 times the thickness of my Lapua rifle brass at the necks, if my math is right. Not something for driving nails that's for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_20240224_125201_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240224_125201_HDR.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 2