Fun in the dark with a specialty pistol (XP-100 Clone)

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
Every since I hunted in South Africa, I have been wanting a solid way to shoot a specialty pistol, especially a center-grip single-shot out to 500 yards (Keep the shots under 10"), from the standing position, using a tri-pod quickly.
I have used hog/pig saddles, and items like it, Arca rails on the forend, etc...And I never really was satisfied.
I came up with a idea of using a carbon fiber plate from a Rokslide member, with a Arca rail on it (So, I could move it back forth on the head to find the best balance/most solid location for that XP-100).
It has a short aluminum lip to keep from pushing the bi-pod off the front as well.

IMG_3760.jpeg

In the daytime, I met my 500 yard goal.
This was on a unsuspecting rock (Approx 2 MOA) at 508 yards.
BCG Center-grip XP-100, chambered in 6.5-284.
The rancher also shot it, and hit the rock too.
My first shot was approximately 2" above center. I had not shot the XP since June-I was a happy camper.
The video is after my friend shot it (We were out there at one of his daughters B-Day parties).

This will work for big game out to 500 yards in good conditions/Standing position.
On another day, I want to see how far I can shoot from the standing position, using the carbon plate, and keep it inside 10".
Moving on...

Was trying to get all of this ready since I was heading to Texas soon, for some nighttime predator/varmint hunting.
I thought this Carbon Fiber 10x14 inch plate would work good for hogs and predators, as all of my shooting would be done from the standing position.
After getting my 6mm Creedmoor zeroed with my thermal optic-300 yards. It was really hard to see the steel gong at 300.

Although I killed my very first fox ever, and used a specialty pistol at night for the first time, the plate was too slow.
In the video you can tell the plate was not tight enough.

IMG_6635.jpeg

For big game, it will work great, as they are not typically as fidgety as coyotes and fox, that are coming into a call.

I went to the direct Arca rail on my forend for hogs. A little synchronized shooting, and some meat for a family.
We both forgot to hit "record" on the hogs! Grrr!

IMG_6669.jpeg

On the third night, we tried for yotes-no luck. But I found another fox. I used one of my buds two vets tri-pods.
Using the same RRS head as mine.
His head was twice as smooth as mine.
Will be calling RRS this week, to get the bugs worked out on mine....Got the bugs worked out yesterday.
Video is from my friends thermal scope.

IMG_6709.jpeg

I learned a lot last week, had some failures/frustrations, but that's how we learn.
I already have another mousetrap in mind for night time predator hunting with a specialty pistol.

I have always used bolt rifles and AR15's and AR-10's for hogs in the past with night vision.
I really enjoyed using a specialty pistol, and I like thermal a lot more than night vision for hunting game at night.

TaperPin

WKR
Super cool - love the setup. My teenage brain was imprinted with Bob Milek’s xp100 pistols and I’ve always wanted one. lol

OP
Ernie

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
Super cool - love the setup. My teenage brain was imprinted with Bob Milek’s xp100 pistols and I’ve always wanted one. lol
Bob was my inspiration as well. If you ever want to get into XP's...I know a guy:giggle:

TaperPin

WKR
Even with the brake, recoil on that 6.5-284 must be brisk. Lol

I just picked up a pair of brand new slow twist 6mm barrels from an estate sale that were originally going to be installed on a benchrest gun - one will become a 6br plinking/trainer barrel, but I wouldn’t mind using the other for a 6br xp. The wheels are turning now - a super beefy standing height tripod is ready. Lol

OP
Ernie

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
Even off of a tripod, the 6.5-284 with a Holland Radial Baffle Brake is a pussycat to shoot.
So soft, I am using rifle scopes.

#4 barrel-Lighter than the Sendero taper on the 6.5-284.
This is a 280 AI, with a Holland brake.
Even with the brake, recoil on that 6.5-284 must be brisk. Lol

I just picked up a pair of brand new slow twist 6mm barrels from an estate sale that were originally going to be installed on a benchrest gun - one will become a 6br plinking/trainer barrel, but I wouldn’t mind using the other for a 6br xp. The wheels are turning now - a super beefy standing height tripod is ready. Lol

TaperPin

WKR
That 280 recoil isn‘t bad at all! lol

Many guys are surprised with how accurate a scoped pistol can be - as a kid a friend had a super 14 contender in 223 that shot as good as any of our varmint rifles, but only had that weird little 2.5x TC scope so we rarely took it prarie dog shooting because we just couldn’t see them. Lol

I’m chuckling just thinking about an XP - anything that brings a smile like that goes on the Christmas list. :)