Pistol Cans

What is the consensus on handgun cans? Primary use would be for the nightstand (primarily 9 but have a 10mm too), and of course just shooting for fun. I have paper work done on a griffin bushwhacker 46 (not filed yet), but it was more of a at the counter impulse and now second guessing it. The bushwhacker is billed as a do all, but not sure I need that. Is there a better pistol (read for a handgun, not pcc's or sbr's) specific can out there?

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
I have been buying cans for 20 years, and I have several. Two of those are handgun cans. In my view they are basically a novelty. You can't practically carry a handgun with a suppressor attached, which makes it not useful for concealed or open carry. It is fun at the range.

In terms of home defense, yes, you can keep a suppressed pistol on your nightstand or maybe in a large drawer. That assumes that you are able to leave an unsecured firearm laying around your house. For me, that is a no go, as I have kids. Even if you don't you will sometimes have visitors, etc.

I find a pistol with a can attached usually won't fit in your typical quick access safe (gunvault, etc). By the time you have a firearm that long, you might as well go with a PCC, rifle, shotgun.

YMMV.

Last edited:

B23

WKR
I have a Dead Air Ghost and like it a lot. It's modular so you can run it in two different lengths.

BrBa

Lil-Rokslider
Have an Osprey 45 2.0 on the clock even though I don't own anything with a larger diameter than 9mm. To me it just made the most sense in case I decide to get a 10mm or .45 some day - doubtful, but nice to know it would work. Agree that a pistol can is mostly a novelty/range toy. Not really practical for a home defense pistol, but one could make it work.

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Dear Air Ghost and a Silencerco Omega 9k. The 9k is shorter and a little less obtrusive, but I agree with the above, they are really more of a novelty. For home defense, it’s easier to suppress a pistol braced AR and much more shootable, at least for me.