Philosophical ? : non-res moving (permanently) into your neck of the woods-thoughts?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Philos, read our FNG forum for a fresh perspective. Some very welcoming folk on there. I also see lots of post on RS about people looking for advice on where to move. Most replies are respectful and welcoming.

I remember the bumper stickers: "Don't Californicate Oregon" and "Don't Let Texans Californicate Colorado"

That's funny because when I was scouting in CO last weekend I commented to my wife that it seamed like every other car was from TX.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Robby and I appreciate all the feedback. It's funny-most of the true outdoorsmen I know are quality folks that are like minded without regard to their location. income levels or any other measurable pieces of social data. The feedback is pretty much what I thought it would be. The responses validate the commonality of thought most true sportsmen posses.

I cannot imagine someone relocating and NOT wanting to assimilate. It seem to me that the very reason one would move is to be a part of the local culture and pray it doesn't change.

If I move I am under no illusions that I won't miss some things I leave behind but that is part of the give and take of change. I find myself having less in common with my local population and the desire to have room to roam--just to roam. It is becoming increasingly difficult to find the room here.

What I want is a place with fewer people, cooler weather, more outdoor opportunity and a few like minded folks to get to know. These wants also mean I'll have to realize a few trade offs that I now have-fewer amenities , colder winters and I will have to be a bit more self sufficient.

I pretty much operate within what I call a "small circle" mindset...meaning I interact with a fairly small group of people as most of my fellow Carolinian's don't share my appreciation of the outdoors and the lifestyle that accompanies the desire to be out there.

That is not to say there are not some fine people here. My neighbors are great and most of my co-workers are truly good people-they know how I am and even though they don't share in the enthusiasm of the outdoor pursuits they do appreciate a deer roast or a wild turkey breast once in a while.

Thanks again guys for all the candid feedback. When I do get there (wherever there happens to be) I promise to bring very little baggage except possibly a bit of southern charm.

As a Californian it sucks to be lumped in with all the liberal a-holes from southern California and the bay area. I truly feel bad for other states when liberals from here move there and change the culture of those areas. Like a few others have said on here, when people with money move into an area to retire or even just get out of the rat race it drives property values through the roof, its happen here in Redding. 10-12 years ago we had a bunch of people move up here and it shot housing prices sky high. Its come back down some but still things are over priced.

I have thought of moving from California for a while now, I don't want to deal with all the bull crap that comes with California anymore. Its hard to make a move, especially knowing that as a Californian I'm going to be looked at like just another liberal asshole looking to invade. But I guess that would come with the territory for a while haha.

P.S. anyone from this state that calls it cali is a douche bag

Dromsky

Lil-Rokslider
From the perspective of a CA resident, not all of us want to change the area we move too. Chances are if your on Rokslide you have some similiar principles as the majority of those on here. I was born, raised and grew up in Ca. (not Cali?) raised my kids here. Now its time to go, the liberals have ruined this once great state, and most things I enjoy doing are dis-appearing. Like to go to the races on friday night? To bad the racetrack is closing. Enjoy practicing your skills at the shooting range, yeah, they are closing too. Hike or ride your mountain bike at a remote spot, some asshats have figured out its an easy spot to break in to your truck.
A lot of our problems are coming across the border, the rest are coming from the big cities, LA, San Fran, San Jose, those are the folks you dont want in your neighborhood, I get it, neither do I.

The John

Lil-Rokslider
As a Californian it sucks to be lumped in with all the liberal a-holes from southern California and the bay area. I truly feel bad for other states when liberals from here move there and change the culture of those areas. Like a few others have said on here, when people with money move into an area to retire or even just get out of the rat race it drives property values through the roof, its happen here in Redding. 10-12 years ago we had a bunch of people move up here and it shot housing prices sky high. Its come back down some but still things are over priced.

I have thought of moving from California for a while now, I don't want to deal with all the bull crap that comes with California anymore. Its hard to make a move, especially knowing that as a Californian I'm going to be looked at like just another liberal asshole looking to invade. But I guess that would come with the territory for a while haha.

P.S. anyone from this state that calls it cali is a douche bag

From the perspective of a CA resident, not all of us want to change the area we move too. Chances are if your on Rokslide you have some similiar principles as the majority of those on here. I was born, raised and grew up in Ca. (not Cali?) raised my kids here. Now its time to go, the liberals have ruined this once great state, and most things I enjoy doing are dis-appearing. Like to go to the races on friday night? To bad the racetrack is closing. Enjoy practicing your skills at the shooting range, yeah, they are closing too. Hike or ride your mountain bike at a remote spot, some asshats have figured out its an easy spot to break in to your truck.
A lot of our problems are coming across the border, the rest are coming from the big cities, LA, San Fran, San Jose, those are the folks you dont want in your neighborhood, I get it, neither do I.

Thanks Robby and I appreciate all the feedback. It's funny-most of the true outdoorsmen I know are quality folks that are like minded without regard to their location. income levels or any other measurable pieces of social data. The feedback is pretty much what I thought it would be. The responses validate the commonality of thought most true sportsmen posses.

I cannot imagine someone relocating and NOT wanting to assimilate. It seem to me that the very reason one would move is to be a part of the local culture and pray it doesn't change.

If I move I am under no illusions that I won't miss some things I leave behind but that is part of the give and take of change. I find myself having less in common with my local population and the desire to have room to roam--just to roam. It is becoming increasingly difficult to find the room here.

What I want is a place with fewer people, cooler weather, more outdoor opportunity and a few like minded folks to get to know. These wants also mean I'll have to realize a few trade offs that I now have-fewer amenities , colder winters and I will have to be a bit more self sufficient.

I pretty much operate within what I call a "small circle" mindset...meaning I interact with a fairly small group of people as most of my fellow Carolinian's don't share my appreciation of the outdoors and the lifestyle that accompanies the desire to be out there.

That is not to say there are not some fine people here. My neighbors are great and most of my co-workers are truly good people-they know how I am and even though they don't share in the enthusiasm of the outdoor pursuits they do appreciate a deer roast or a wild turkey breast once in a while.

Thanks again guys for all the candid feedback. When I do get there (wherever there happens to be) I promise to bring very little baggage except possibly a bit of southern charm.

Just to make things clear (at least from my perspective) is that people who are good, honest people will be welcomed everywhere. If any of you moved in next door or etc you would be more then welcome. Its the newcomers with the different mentality that sometimes rubs locals the wrong way and creates a more hostile response. :)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Just to make things clear (at least from my perspective) is that people who are good, honest people will be welcomed everywhere. If any of you moved in next door or etc you would be more then welcome. Its the newcomers with the different mentality that sometimes rubs locals the wrong way and creates a more hostile response. :)

To a degree.........but even if every single person had the same mentalities, bringing an extra few million people to a state pretty much sucks for everyone in the state at that point. All the differing mentalities and ideologies just makes it 10x worse.

It's the American way.

30 years ago Cabo was an awesome sleepy little fishing town. Today it has a Costco and a Wallmart. And the backstreet markets have been replaced by strip malls with yoga shops and Little Ceasers. I was appalled and saddened on how Americans have pretty much ruined the Cabo area. I have no idea why anyone would spend good money to visit a place that is pretty much the same as home. If it's nice weather and strip malls ones after just go to San Diego.

But that's how we roll. Most love the idea of a new setting but in reality just want to stay in our comfort zone.

And Seattle may be the worst example of all. Just last week a condemned home was put on the market at around 420k. Sold a day later for 675k. WTF. The first home my parents purchased for 12k in Bellevue recently sold for ~500k. Ain't pyramid schemes great for those who get in early :).

But short of massive social engineering (bad) or genocide (very bad) I'm not real sure anything can be done about it :(. Other than bitch of course :).

The John

Lil-Rokslider
To a degree.........but even if every single person had the same mentalities, bringing an extra few million people to a state pretty much sucks for everyone in the state at that point. All the differing mentalities and ideologies just makes it 10x worse.

Exactly, I was speaking generally.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you became my neighbor, I might give you a mixed signal. I would be welcoming but you may get a sense of frustration because my area is too crowded. That would pass as we get to know each other. If moving to Colorado please register your car. 😃

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

LaGriz

WKR
This topic cuts me deep,
I'm originally from Western Mass. Moved to So. California for a year back in 1976-1977. Returned to New England for the winter of "78" and a poor outlook for employment. Moved to Louisiana in Feb. "79" and started a 38 year oil field career.

I have made some good friends and for the most part, LA has been good to me. However , I never really fit in here in Louisiana, even though I'm proud of my accomplishments after making this move that improved my life. I do get lonesome for family. During return visits to New England and the liberal politics stagger me. I have never felt so outnumbered politically as I do when I visit my sister in Connecticut.

Have considered a move out west for many years. I thought my conservative manor would mesh well out west with the hunters and sportsmen. Figured that my small town beliefs in being responsible, strong work ethic, and a goal to be as self-reliant and independent as possible should fit in to this culture. I'm surprised to have met many liberals among Western folks. Others are conservative to a degree with liberal/progressive views of big government that sound like a page out Animal Farm. Many hunters I have met hate my industry. (the media has been successful in bashing the oil field and most any industry) I meet a surprising number of folks that share my love for the outdoors, hunting, trapping, gun ownership, but are totally down with extreme left wing views on the environment, deeply embracing the Climate Change agenda, don't trust big government but love it at the same time, hate corporations with a passion, while struggling to earn a living. It's far more complicated than I ever dreamed.

I have learned to listen more and often force myself to hear different views, getting my news in different sources. Are views are shaped over time by the sum of our experiences starting with our parents. As far as being welcome goes. I'm starting to believe Woody Allan's comment that: We all want to be part of an exclusive club....but if they let us in..... just how exclusive can it be? In any case when I visit on my next Western hunt I will embrace the local culture and do my best to show respect to all I meet. If that doesn't get you by nothing will.
LaGriz

Ray

WKR
Alaska is the result of people moving in from someplace else and bringing their mindset with them.

I have been fortunate to meet some old men and women that were here back in the territory days in the early 1950's. Alaska was a very liberal, democratic place. Decades of social welfare by the Indian Health Service, Military, and USDA. This liberalness is also why there is no death penalty here. The public didn't want it based on all the executions of natives after bogus trials.

With the influx of oil industry workers from the L48 the entire public identity changed by the late 1970's. When the oil price crash of the late 1980's happened these old men thought that it was a good thing to see the horde of Texans running back home, hopefully taking some Okies with them. However, the mind set they showed up with didn't leave with them and Alaska has staid a politically conservative state. A politically conservative state with a legacy of liberal policies it holds dear.

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
I dont think it has to do as much with Californians as it does the internet now. There was never a place for all these people to voice their opinion before. Now you have like minded people joining different groups just to be a part of something that they were never apart of or cared about just to feel like they are needed or to brag at reading club.You know the people living in their parents basements. Or my favorite, the guy trying to get laid. There is a girl he likes that loves bears and now he apart of some non hunting crowd posting on his facebook about saving bears. Just to get laid. That example could be tied to guns,hunting,politics,etc.

If there wasnt this level of communication the world would be moving at a slower pace. Something everyone was more accustom to. Now that everyone has an opinion and can voice it to millions or instantly get information has changed the game. News, now that you get it instantly and from around the world they would have you believe the world is falling apart. There are less shooting and mass shooting now then ever and less crime since 70s. There are now 3 times the amount of guns then people in the us. If we had a gun problem things would be worse. Its the .00000000001 causing the issues. Its people not being educated and people aligning their views with media,commercials,facebook,celebrity's without doing any homework.

San fransico and LA make up 90 percent of the d-bags. I live in the valley and dont know any body that agrees with anything political going on.Everyone just as pissed as you. It may just be the crowd i keep but i hope these other people dont ruin it for everyone.

c5mrr270

WKR
CA to WY, yet you have Utah as your location. Man, you're all kinds of messed up. Or are you updating your location as you head east to WY?

I lived in Utah when I joined rokslide. I moved back to CA a little over 3 years ago. I just never updated my location, partially because I'm lazy and partially because I didn't want it to be true, lol.

id450

WKR

I live in the same area as dromsky . Agreed , it's a real mess here. There's no hope it seems for hardworking folks to get ahead. It's a lot handouts and knuckle heads. But please, don't lump us all in one group. I grew up in 70s-80s Bakersfield. It was as conservative as it gets. Great people. That's how I was raised and that's how I live. God, family and the 3 Rs. I have family all over the west. I'd love nothing more then to move. I think about it daily. It's hard to do when you have a good job and family to raise. So please don't write us all off.

Here's how I see it. Mt, ID, Utah and Co are what I know best. My fear is your states will be just as screwed up as Ca. Is by the time i can actually leave. California folks , eastern college professors and illegals are filling your states slowly but surely. Between federal and state policies it's only a matter of time . I travel to these places every year and two and see the changes each time. It's really obvious when your not a local but familiar with the area or region. That's what has happened here, slow change over decades by liberal agendas. Little pieces of legislation and change you hardly notice Untill it's to late. . Please, this place is almost a lost cause, for your states- stop bitchin ( if u are ) Get outside, get involved in local gov't , vote and educate anyone who will listen.

When a senator or other official like those in congress congress , state rep etc... Gets a call, email etc... They count that as 500 voices. Yeah 500 . They figure at least 500 other people feel that way. Write them. Save your states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JoshTX

WKR
The primary problem I see with Californians or others migrating to states such as ID , CO , or MT is when they move to those places and try to change those places and not assimilate. I see this as a MAJOR issue .

This X10000

You should see how many are moving to Texas. Our local economy is good and that is because we don't do stupid things like lending 105% on the value of homes. We are tighter about things like that here and it has served us well. With the out of stater's moving here due to our job market, relatively low cost of living and overall opportunity, what we are seeing is they move here and want to change the way we do things. I think that's BS. We didn't screw up our economy and then leave when it came time to clean up the mess. IMHO though that's par for the course with liberals and liberal states. Make really stupid decisions and then blame someone else, and when it gets really tough, simply leave and let someone else clean it up. Drives me absolute crazy. I am a 5th Gen Texan and seeing this kind of "change" makes my blood boil.

Last edited:

LaGriz

WKR
+1 on the comments of JoshTX,

I visit my step-daughter's family several times a year in Austin,TX. A unique town that is growing constantly. I'm not sure if is 1000 people a week or 1000 per month that are moving into this city. The traffic is very tough but still not as bad as Denver. I the defense of the city planners, it must be hard when you start a project in 2010 to handle X amount of traffic and when you finish the project in 2012 the planned project is totally inadequate for the new traffic volume. I do look forward to the visits, only wished they lived closer to our home.

The TX infrastructure is impressive as compared to my adopted home in Louisiana. The quality of the roads, and the recreation parks where our grandson plays baseball are far superior to the facilities here at home. They have gotten a whole lot right along the way. I don't care for the toll roads with no toll booths. The non-resident gets a ticket in the mail if your not savvy enough to realize you simply can't pay the toll anywhere. Your $3 toll now requires a $60 online account for a speed pass that you may never get to use before it expires. WTF?
It doesn't seem to bother anyone, but Texans do have little access to public land. I think finding an affordable lease is not completely out of the question. In any case I would be that much closer to New Mexico, Colorado, and other elk hunting destinations.
Still looking for that Utopia or a "Goldie Locks" location to retire.
LaGriz

alukban

FNG
It happens at all scales: from one neighborhood to another in the same city, from a "big city" to outlying 'burbs within a short work commute, from one state to a neighboring state for "access".

I look at it not as "them" eroding/bringing down what I already have "here" but "us" exposing them to values that brought them this far, over here.

You can look at them as "the darkness" or you can choose to look at yourself as "the light."

Convert 'em.