Peak refuel reduced portions & increased prices?

Okie-hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
Has anyone else noticed a decrease in serving size from Peak refuel meals? Noticed today an older breakfast skillet packet (exp. 11/2027) has exactly 25.7% more in it than a newer package (exp. 12/2028).
All distributors still have the nutrition facts of the larger portion on their websites but are apparently shipping out a reduced product.

Attachments

• IMG_8021.jpeg
    IMG_8021.jpeg
    323.3 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_8022.jpeg
    IMG_8022.jpeg
    383.9 KB · Views: 102
OP
O

Okie-hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
Dangit inflation is kicking us in the nuts everywhere.

This seems like false advertising...
I’m typing up an email currently to see what Peak has to say. They are the only ones that have the reduced package labeling on their website.

NDGuy

WKR
Has anyone else noticed a decrease in serving size from Peak refuel meals? Noticed today an older breakfast skillet packet (exp. 11/2027) has exactly 25.7% more in it than a newer package (exp. 12/2028).
All distributors still have the nutrition facts of the larger portion on their websites but are apparently shipping out a reduced product.
Classic business strategy.

As it grows, it gets shitter/smaller portions/more expensive.

Time to find the next smaller company

N2TRKYS

WKR
The last ones I made didn’t rehydrate and was terrible. They were still in date and stored in my house, so not sure why they were bad.

Good thing I have a few years of inventory remaining.
Same. I for one wouldn’t complain about a slightly smaller meal as I normally have to force myself to finish a packet even after a long day of hiking but not amused about the price increase in contrast to the reduced portion size. We bought a crap ton end of last year and caught them on a sale I believe.

OP
O

Okie-hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
Here’s the response from Peak. Doesn’t seem to be a reduction across the board but still paying the same for less just rubs me the wrong way. But hey that’s business, buy it or don’t.

Attachments

• IMG_8026.png
    IMG_8026.png
    469.1 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_8027.png
    IMG_8027.png
    545.6 KB · Views: 137

twall13

WKR
I noticed the Peaches and Cream oatmeal also had a decrease in portion size. Personally I felt like the old one was too big so it was a welcome change in that regard, but I agree, I don't like paying more for less. Generally speaking, Peak is still my favorite overall brand of freeze dried meals but this is something worth watching.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

A company that wants to succeed long term and do right for their customers should drive value while innovating and passing savings on. Examples for this should be finding ways to reduce cost and reducing price for the customer. If you make the portion size smaller, lower the price. If you can find a way to make it cheaper ie use less packaging, less labor etc without sacrificing quality, then lower the cost. Do right by the customer. That is how you gain long term loyalty and repeat business.

That's frustrating... I'll be looking for other brands unfortunately.. if you have trouble finishing your meal, don't buy it. Now I'm paying more for less because someone else wasn't hungry enough.

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
Keep in mind there's a lot of genpop that use these too, hikers and the like, even people car camping lol. As hunters we typically want to maximize the calories. I remember way back when wife and I did a first full day hunt and I broke out the freeze dry after we had put close to 10 miles on the boots with lots of elevation, she looked at the calories and freaked out. Some people are conditioned to think higher calories are bad. Once I began explaining the calorie thing she barely let me get started and said yeah nevermind it was just a kneejerk reaction.